Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Why are some Japanese imports faster here in the US, and others are faster elsewhere?

Old 08-05-2007, 06:01 PM
KarrNtegGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why are some Japanese imports faster here in the US, and others are faster elsewhere?

Why are some japanese cars faster here in the States, and other countries the same make and model there faster than the us imported japanese cars.

For instance the JDM K20a Integra/RSX Type R. Why don't we have one here? On the other hand the Toyota Supra TT is faster here than it is in Japan. This leads me away from thinking it is an emissons issue. I watch a video off of youtube it said a Mitsubishi EVO VII MR has 400hp stock in the UK while here it has only 280+hp?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Emissions,Automotive insurance,safety,price. Americans have high insurance rates,higher safety requirements and higher emissions requirements. So its a 20k priced car that has all the air bags,a small engine,low insurance rates and low emissions or a 30k priced car with all the air bags,a big engine,high insurance rates and trying to lower emissions on the big engine. Thy just run the numbers and see if thy think thy can sail the 30k car in the U.S. if not thy go with the 20k car. You have to take in the people per car ratio in other countries and the money the people make.

So in the U.S. Im broke but can afford the 20k car but not the 30k car. In the U.K. I ride the sub way Im broke or Im rich and would like the 30k car. In the U.S. thy sail more of the 20k cars and in the U.K. the 30k cars or vise versa.

?????
Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Grifter

the general agreement is the rsxr/integra typer would cut into the sales of the civic si
Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 AM
KarrNtegGSR

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fuse
Emissions,Automotive insurance,safety,price. Americans have high insurance rates,higher safety requirements and higher emissions requirements. So its a 20k priced car that has all the air bags,a small engine,low insurance rates and low emissions or a 30k priced car with all the air bags,a big engine,high insurance rates and trying to lower emissions on the big engine. Thy just run the numbers and see if thy think thy can sail the 30k car in the U.S. if not thy go with the 20k car. You have to take in the people per car ratio in other countries and the money the people make.

So in the U.S. Im broke but can afford the 20k car but not the 30k car. In the U.K. I ride the sub way Im broke or Im rich and would like the 30k car. In the U.S. thy sail more of the 20k cars and in the U.K. the 30k cars or vise versa.

?????
I agree with you it's got be more than emissions alone.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Japan has a strict horsepower regulation. Their production cars cannot exceed 280ps (about 280 hp). What they do is that they advertise their cars at 280ps...when in reality, they make way more.

The EVO that you saw in the UK that made 400hp is not a production EVO. It was probably the EVO FQ-400 which was a limited production with a huge turbo and lightened chassis. UK's and Japan's production EVO's were pretty much the same as the ones we have rated at about 272ish hp.

We do not have the Type R here b/c as Grifter said, it may cut sales of the Si or other cars in the same class that Honda is already offering. Other than that, Japan usually keeps all the good stuff to themselves.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 AM
KarrNtegGSR

Question

Originally Posted by asiandoood
We do not have the Type R here b/c as Grifter said, it may cut sales of the Si or other cars in the same class that Honda is already offering. Other than that, Japan usually keeps all the good stuff to themselves.
ya, but would it really cut sales more than the b-series integra did?

The video I was Title Top Gear: EVO versus Lambo on youtube or google video just in case you want to confirm its a fq-400.

Last edited by KarrNtegGSR; 08-07-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 AM
KarrNtegGSR

Never mind it is Fq400 evo mr. It doesn't say it in the video, but one of the title chooses list evo fq400.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by KarrNtegGSR
ya, but would it really cut sales more than the b-series integra did?

The video I was Title Top Gear: EVO versus Lambo on youtube or google video just in case you want to confirm its a fq-400.

Well, you figure the Integra had a long run. During that time, it sold better than the Honda Prelude and the Honda Civic Si.

And yes, it is the FQ-400, the video is funny b/c the FQ-400 can outrun the Lamborghini, but cannot out accelerate from a full stop with a Yugo or something b/c of the huge turbo lag :chuckles:
Old 08-07-2007, 07:10 PM
KarrNtegGSR

It's too bad they're going to stop making RSX and NSX after this year. I think NSX sales would been better if they did price $90k. I think they should keep RSX in the line up. Then Change the name back to integra bring the K20 type R in to the picture that will set it apart from Civic. I mean come on there both working for the same team which is HONDA. I've seen lot of RSXs out there and see the new civic all over the place. So Civic shouldn't be having a problem with sales.

Why was Acura developed in the US? Is it just to get away from Honda's Economy image and have Acura as the upscale luxury branch? Or is to copy US branched out car corperations like Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and GM, GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick.

Last edited by KarrNtegGSR; 08-07-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

I believe they axed the RSX due to making the Acura lineup just a luxury lineup. The NSX had a 15 year run w/o changes. It was due for a redesign that will be released later this decade.

If they released the RSX-R here, the Civic Si Coupe and Sedan would lose sales. Why would anyone buy the Civic when you can have the RSX-R for just a little bit more? It is all marketing in the US market. People do not think the same way as the Japanese culture here.

Acura was developed just as Ininiti and Lexus were developed. To offer more luxurious cars at a higher price without bearing the name that was built on economy when it first started here in the states. Americans have the mentality that they will not pay over $40k for a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, when they can get a BMW or Mercedes for the same price.