Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

House bill to require voter ID

Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House bill to require voter ID

Link

The House yesterday passed legislation that would require voters to show a valid photo identification in federal elections over the overwhelming objections of Democrats who compared the bill to segregation-era measures aimed at disenfranchising Southern blacks.
Makes sense to me. Every citizen should have a valid state picture ID and should have to show it in order to prove they are a resident of the state and town to vote.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Buyimports2

People shouldn't vote. The average American is a dumbass.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:48 AM
reno96teg

why the fuck is it a racist thing? don't they keep screaming about the past two "stolen" elections? well, wouldn't this help keep the voting legit? of course it would, hence their problem with it.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:52 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by reno96teg
why the fuck is it a racist thing? don't they keep screaming about the past two "stolen" elections? well, wouldn't this help keep the voting legit? of course it would, hence their problem with it.
All you needed to vote here in the MA this past Tuesday was an electric bill. Are you freaking kidding me? Voting is a right, driving a car is a privelage, one needs an ID the other nothing.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 AM
MellowGold

Make IDs free, and you're golden.

However, IDs are NOT free. Poll tax anyone?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:51 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MellowGold

If you don't have a driver's license, you probably shouldn't be voting anyway because you're not a productive member of society. There, I said it.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by MellowGold

This is exactly it. States need to offer free ID's for this to be constitutional.

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
If you don't have a driver's license, you probably shouldn't be voting anyway because you're not a productive member of society. There, I said it.
There are productive people in this society who don't drive (think NYC)

And, so if you were to lose your job, we should take your right to vote as well since you aren't being all that productive?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:26 PM
reno96teg

many people have passports. it's very easy to get a state ID. most people DO drive. these are just excuses. there's no reason not to have some sort of photo ID anyway.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:31 PM
MellowGold

many people have passports. it's very easy to get a state ID. most people DO drive. these are just excuses. there's no reason not to have some sort of photo ID anyway.

A homeless man with no car, no house, and barely paying for food, let alone an ID...he should not be allowed to vote?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

It's not that it's hard or even impractical (it's not that I disagree with the ID checking as a way to prevent voter fraud). It's plain not legal.

Despite what you may say, until the ID's are offered for free, checking ID violates Amendment 24 of the Constitution. Basically, there can be NO COST associated with voting, and currently, getting an ID in any state has cost associated with it.