Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Leave Her Alone!

Old 08-28-2006, 05:28 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leave Her Alone!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html

Short Version - A young girl was kidnapped 8 years ago when she was 10 years old by a man in Austria. She was kept in a dungeon and only allowed out under her "master's" supervision until she escaped last week.

This has been a media circus with them hounding her every step to get a picture , interview, etc. She needs her space from everyone including her family as she spent most of her time alone in a dark dungeon.

I think the media is overstepping its bounds of freedom of press (like it does in many cases). I believe in this tenet of the constitution but not in cases like such where any reporter looking to make their career break or retain ratings for their news agency. There has to be some level of morals the media needs to be held accountable to.

Please note this is not in any case a typical "white house" response when the press learns of more broken laws - there freedom of speech is vital for us to learn of what freedoms are now gone b/c of illegal wire tapping, imprisonment, etc.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:26 AM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Uh, this story refers to an incident in Austria. Unless I'm mistaken, the US Constitution doesn't really apply there. :P
Old 08-30-2006, 05:52 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by benjamin
Uh, this story refers to an incident in Austria. Unless I'm mistaken, the US Constitution doesn't really apply there. :P
it does not per se due to the international event (it is in Austria - she was kept in a dungeon in Vienna) but Fox, CNN, CBS, MSNBC, etc. have been hounding her ever since she became the "hot news item"
Old 09-02-2006, 06:00 PM
MellowGold

When do you draw the line and who decides this?