Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

A Veteran’s Letter to the President: "You suck."

Old 03-28-2006, 01:37 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kestrel
I just got really pissed off that you had to go and describe the letter writer as someone who "jerks off and reads left wing newspapers and watches NBC."
Well, he has no real qualifications to speak on the subject, does he? Has he been to Iraq? He doesn't even appear to have spoken to any soldiers that have been over there. Any hack can write this BS.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Well, he has no real qualifications to speak on the subject, does he? Has he been to Iraq? He doesn't even appear to have spoken to any soldiers that have been over there. Any hack can write this BS.
I'm not saying he does.

Well that's the last I'm going to say about this. We'll just drop it here
Old 04-02-2006, 08:34 AM
SmOkIneLf

i have to ask this to the people that are defending the cause of this war...now that we are at war and losing lives everyday and innocent soldiers everyday..how has it made lives for the American people safer how? i want you to tell me what the govt has done to make society for us as American people safer? what actions did the govt take to make us safer at home? i'm not attacking but i would like to know how this war has benifitted us besides the arrest of sadamm btw who is still on trial after being captured over a year ago...yea he's suffering for real being fed everyday by us and just sitting there laughing at us in our own courts...so besides capturing sadamm how did American society benefit from the war?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:41 AM
SmOkIneLf

Democracy Defeated
The Death of Protest
Pierre Tristam/Daytona Beach News-Journal, March 21, 2006

On Friday I read the following Associated Press dispatch in the Moscow Times: “The head of the Belarussian state security service warned on Thursday that any protesters who took to the streets during elections this Sunday could be charged with terrorism.” The Belarussian security service, incidentally, still goes by its Soviet-era brand: KGB.

The same day in The New York Times, I read the following: “In five internal reports made public yesterday as part of a lawsuit, New York City police commanders candidly discuss how they had successfully used ‘proactive arrests,’ covert surveillance and psychological tactics at political demonstrations in 2002, and recommend that those approaches be employed at future gatherings.” As we know from the 2004 National Republican Convention in Manhattan , those tactics were used to great effect. The New York Police Department, with $76 million to spend and 10,000 shields to use on four days’ work, presumed that every protester was a potential terrorist. It borrowed from the playbook of the Miami police department, where anti-globalism protesters were overwhelmed by police force in 2003. It cuffed activism to side-streets and precinct houses (1,806 people were arrested). It doctored videotape of the arrests, deleting evidence of protesters cooperating with arresting officers. And all along the Republican Party staged its lie-abiding Bush-capades at Madison Square Garden , with Belarussian contempt for the noises of democracy it is preaching to the world.

Yet half of Americans now think the war unjustified, and 60 percent think it’s getting worse. Vietnam was getting better marks in 1968, with more than half of Americans thinking it was still worth the fight. But demonstrations raged in the streets back then. Lyndon Johnson’s approval rating stood at 36 percent in March 1968, exactly where President Bush’s rating stands now, with this difference: Johnson, for all the madness he ramped up in Vietnam, would soon concede defeat by refusing to run again. He retreated to the White House to wait out his term to the daily sound of protesters outside (“Hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids will you kill today?”). He could have banished them to distant zones. He didn’t. He’d been a fool to think that “we can turn the Mekong into a Tennessee Valley.” He wasn’t such a fool as to think that he could turn the White House into a Red Square.

Bush has. Nothing illustrates the death of the First Amendment, when it comes to political protest, better than Secret Service demonstration rules routinely enforced wherever the president goes. Supporters are welcome. Protesters are not allowed within a half mile of the president. They’re penned up in “protest zones,” an oxymoron of democracy if there ever was one, or parked behind rows of buses so neither the cameras nor the president can see them. Fugitives who slip out and manage to flash the president with the semblance of an opinion — a shout, a critical T-shirt, a sign, a burst of ribaldry, so well deserved these days — is arrested. This is what we’ve come to. The president shields himself in an echo chamber of his own, acts like a Belarussian thug toward those who’d tell him different, and goes around declaring the spread of freedom.

what do you people who favor the war have to say about that? what excuses are you going to come up with tha the protestors are extremly violent? that they caused a riot? cmon our own president doesnt even want to hear the voices of his own people he'd rather shun them...
Old 04-02-2006, 06:30 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

SmOkIneLf

During the DNC in Boston protesters had to remain in their PEN...a fenced in area specifically for them away from the delegates and the convention. Both parties keep the opposition away from them...this is nothing new.

As for what has been good about removing Saddam from power ask all the Israeli families that have kept their loved ones as a result of the funds from Saddam to suicide bomber families having been dried up. Or ask the Iraqis whos daughters are not being raped by Saddam's sons on a regular basis, or routinely tortured for no reason.

What concerns me is that many people in the US do not view Iraq as part of the global war on terror. There are other countries that renounced terrorism, paid for past deeds and came clean on their WMD capabilities without needing to do so forcefully like Libya and others like Iraq that needed the use of force. Lets see what Iran and Syria do and if they choose the easy or the hard way.

The effects in Iraq may not be immediate for the American people, just as the effects in Germany & Japan were not felt immediately after WWII. But what we gained were two strong economic allies which has certainly benefited America...part of which is the reason we all came to this board.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:58 PM
SmOkIneLf

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
SmOkIneLf

During the DNC in Boston protesters had to remain in their PEN...a fenced in area specifically for them away from the delegates and the convention. Both parties keep the opposition away from them...this is nothing new.

As for what has been good about removing Saddam from power ask all the Israeli families that have kept their loved ones as a result of the funds from Saddam to suicide bomber families having been dried up. Or ask the Iraqis whos daughters are not being raped by Saddam's sons on a regular basis, or routinely tortured for no reason.

What concerns me is that many people in the US do not view Iraq as part of the global war on terror. There are other countries that renounced terrorism, paid for past deeds and came clean on their WMD capabilities without needing to do so forcefully like Libya and others like Iraq that needed the use of force. Lets see what Iran and Syria do and if they choose the easy or the hard way.

The effects in Iraq may not be immediate for the American people, just as the effects in Germany & Japan were not felt immediately after WWII. But what we gained were two strong economic allies which has certainly benefited America...part of which is the reason we all came to this board.
thanks for the answer...wasn't trying to pose an argument more of a debate question i guess and it got answered thanks heh.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:32 PM
clark72z
clark72z

DuRocher,
Old 04-17-2006, 11:39 PM
clark72z
clark72z

Default Republicans Rule

Du Rocher,

You must forget the internment of Japanese during WWII.

If my President wasn't instructing our military to torture I would be upset.

How does a pacifist join the military and use our country's resources to earn and enjoy his wings in the the greatest aircraft in the world and justify that.
Aren't you reaping the benefits of the military establishment and not agreeing with their mission to protect and defend the USA. Were you going to quit if they said go kill and break things. It sounds as if you enjoy the freedom of the USA but don't want to defend it. Pacifist are usually the first to complain and the last to ever act.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:01 AM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Originally Posted by clark72z
It sounds as if you enjoy the freedom of the USA but don't want to defend it. Pacifist are usually the first to complain and the last to ever act.
What are you talking about? He already did serve in the military, and now he's an old man. You want him to climb back in the cockpit and fly a few more missions?