Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

GM/Honda joint venture - VUE to get J30

Old 07-16-2002, 02:29 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BigPaul
But why? Why would GM need the Honda V6?

Chevy has the 3.1 which I could see be replaced. But they have the venerable 3.8 which would romp on a Honda V6 all day long. No offense
mostly b/c gm's pushrod v6s can't meet stricter emissions standards...i'm wondering why they don't use the new dohc v6 unless that can't do it either
Old 07-16-2002, 09:44 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Default Saturn VUE - Powered by Honda

From Automotive News July 15,2002:

"Honda Motor Co.'s deal to supply 50,000 engines a year to General Motors will add a twist to the idea of U.S. content.

By purchasing American-made engines from Japan-based Honda, it appears the import-fighting Saturn brand will be able to stop importing engines from a U.S.-owned plant in Europe.

The twist stems from a change of plans at Saturn on where to use the Honda engines.

When the Honda deal was announced in 2000, Saturn said it intended to put the Honda V-6 into a then-unrevealed model that would go into production after the Vue sport wagon. That vehicle was expected to be a minivan hybrid. But Saturn says it has changed the plan and will install the Ohio-built Honda engines in the Vue.

That will replace the Vue's current V-6, which is built in Spring Hill, Tenn. According to Saturn spokesman Mike Gardner, the Spring Hill V-6 instead will go into Saturn L-series cars that are built in Wilmington, Del. That, in turn, will displace the V-6's used in the L-series, Gardner said. Those engines are imported from GM's plant in Ellesmere Port, England.
"
Old 07-16-2002, 09:47 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

It's really ironic that GM has to use a import brand engine to increase its domestic content and keep American jobs in the USA. h:

Read the discussion on the Saturn folks' reactions. Saturn board - Making GM More American
Old 07-16-2002, 09:59 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by BigPaul
But why? Why would GM need the Honda V6?

Chevy has the 3.1 which I could see be replaced. But they have the venerable 3.8 which would romp on a Honda V6 all day long. No offense
The 3.8 can romp an a Honda V6 all day long? No.

I wonder if the engine will say Honda on it. Or if the car or ads will say, "powered by honda"
Old 07-16-2002, 10:00 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Those Saturn drivers are quite funny complaining that a Honda Engine is being put into one of their cars. Like GM has a really good record of being reliable.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:11 AM
yianni64

Those guys are something else. Thats the best things that happened to their ***** asses.

Funny part, someone said.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Katz94SL1
so if hoda starts putting engines in saturns, then would all the "rice" partrs fit? (intakes, etc) Would be more rice burners driving around trying to race at every street light..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
I believe the engine proposed for use in Saturn is Honda's 3.5 l "truck" engine. This is a higher tourgue engine with , I assume less rice available.

Since when are performance aprts rice? Is a K&N filter they get rice? Friggin morons.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:17 AM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

Too bad we don't know which engine it will be. If I'm correct, the current VUE has 181hp (or maybe thats the Santa Fe). 200hp would be a good boost, 210hp (99-01 Odyssey) engine would also provide a nice boost, 240hp might get me into the Saturn showroom. Ok, not really, but I can see 240hp attracting some new customers. I think the VUE looks great.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:34 AM
Troopa-R

I also enjoyed how the entire thread became an issue of whether English GM engines or American Honda engines were more patriotic.

Either way, the Saturn folk don't know how lucky they are to be getting a Honda. Can't believe that one guy tried to say that the J30A would have no low-end torque and wouldn't work for city driving.

edit: Most likely, the VTEC badges will stay, but I'm wondering if they're gonna put Saturn badges on the Engine Cover...
Old 07-16-2002, 11:23 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally posted by Eternal RSXness
edit: Most likely, the VTEC badges will stay, but I'm wondering if they're gonna put Saturn badges on the Engine Cover...
Highly doubtful. Honda probably does not want GM to take credit for a better 3.0L engine. :thumbup:

One more thing to add, the 5spd automatic in the VUE is made in Japan. The VUE is practically an import as it is now.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:24 PM
TJCCARDCO

VTEC in a Saturn, god help us all.

Let use praise the plastic cars?

Quick Reply: GM/Honda joint venture - VUE to get J30