Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Honda discovers it's not so easy getting Generation Y into the Element

Old 05-01-2003, 12:16 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, you work at a Chrysler dealer...I don't think you should be laughing. :fawk:
Old 05-06-2003, 04:26 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Default HONDA OPERATIONS IN OHIO: ONE EYE ON QUALITY, THE OTHER ON YOUTH

The automaker wants cool cars made efficiently
May 6, 2003

BY JAMIE BUTTERS
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

MARYSVILLE, Ohio -- When J.D. Power and Associates releases the results of its annual new-car quality survey this afternoon, no one doubts Honda Motor Co. will once again rank near the top.

But scoring well on the closely watched survey was not the top priority when the automaker launched the Element, its boxy, youth-oriented light truck, in Marysville late last year.

Instead, Honda focused on getting the new models on dealer lots before any more young men became Pontiac buyers.

The new SUV had to have "typical Honda quality" but the key goal was reaching the youth market quickly, said Art St. Cyr, who helped lead the development and launch of the Element.

"Every month we don't have a vehicle out there, somebody is going to go to a different channel," he said.

Honda's East Liberty plant, on the campus where Honda began making cars more than 20 years ago, is a shining example of a great plant that doesn't win many awards -- although it contributes to the automaker's overall quality and productivity ratings.

The J.D. Power survey ranks models, plants and automakers on the number of customer complaints filed after three months of ownership.

The very best scores tend to go to plants that make only one model -- especially in the model's last year. So with a variety of Civic models going down the same line as the Element, plant manager Dan Smith doesn't expect to rank in the top three.

"This plant was built and designed to make Civics very efficiently," Smith said. "I wouldn't want to put any money on where it's going to come out. . . . We're just trying to meet our goal, which is to please the customer."

Honda, like its larger rival Toyota Motor Corp., is very popular with the baby boomer generation that was born after World War II. But this popularity makes it hard for the brands to seem cool to the children of that generation, sort of like Oldsmobile in the 1970s, said Art Spinella, vice president of CNW Marketing Research in Bandon, Ore.

The view of the brand is even worse among young men, most of whom see Honda as a "girl's car," Spinella said. (The exceptions are hard-core "tuners," who like Hondas for their easy adaptability.)

With close coordination -- even by Honda's standards -- of manufacturing with design, development and purchasing, the team was able to shave at least three months off the development of the new SUV. Honda won't say exactly how long the whole process took.

That effort could have gone into even better quality, but that wasn't the point, St. Cyr said, as long as customers were provided with "typical Honda quality."

The Element, with its "Lifeguard" design theme, does appeal to the young men whom Honda had been losing. But for better or worse, that Honda quality also attracts a lot of boomers, Spinella said.

"It's rapidly becoming hijacked by the boomers, the same way the Matrix was," he said, referring to the Toyota Corolla-based wagon. "Boomers that have the money and like something different are buying them."

Honda said it hoped to make 50,000 a year, but the sales are running well ahead of that pace right now. Almost 22,000 have been sold in the United States alone through the first four months of the year. It lists for as low as $16,560.

By Detroit standards, Honda involves manufacturing in its product-development system very early on.

By Honda's standards, manufacturing was a late consideration until this case.

"They were very involved with the planning stage, which is very unusual for Honda," said St. Cyr.

The Element was designed in Torrance, Calif. But the "development" that leads to a vehicle that can be mass-manufactured was done at the Honda facility only six miles from the plant.

Honda's efficient product development, flexible manufacturing and high quality throughout makes it better able to afford to take chances on Element-like market niches, said David Cole, director of the Center for Automotive Research at Ann Arbor.

"As you get better and better at execution of things like launch, your cost of risk goes down. . . . It's a game changer." he said.

It also was possible because the flexible body weld system and other improvements to the manufacturing flexibility allow the automaker to react quickly to changes in consumer tastes.

Building -- and using -- that flexibility doesn't necessarily help with a J.D. Power survey, but it can make for good business, said Smith, the plant manager.

"We put a lot of money into being flexible. If you never launch another vehicle, you don't use it."
I'm amazed at how well the element is selling b/c it doesn't really catch my eye...but after playing around with them at the dealer and auto show they are quite neat (kinda like the swiss army knife of cars)...the real kicker is its not an aztek as others insult it b/c it is a whole new vehicle and not a converted minivan, nor is it just a gimmic of a pickup like the avalanche or exploringhowtoeffectivelyrollover sporttrac
Old 05-12-2003, 04:54 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Default Canadian Driver Article on the Element

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/03element.htm

Test Drive:
2003 Honda Element
by Greg Wilson

Unusual boxy vehicle carries a lot of stuff

When people see a Honda Element for the first-time, they often ask, "What is it?" What they probably mean is, "Why is it?". The Element's unusual, bulky shape and its contrasting painted and plastic body panels are different to anything else you'll see on the road. Why would Honda build such an unusual vehicle?

The short answer is that Honda designed the Element for a specific group of people with a specific kind of lifestyle. Young, active people between the ages of 22 and 32, so-called Gen X and Gen Y, are the intended customers - although Honda hedges slightly by saying that it’s expected to appeal to an active, youthful frame-of-mind rather than an specific age group.

According to Honda, Element buyers want a roomy vehicle with flexible seating arrangements and a flat floor for storing sports gear and recreational equipment like bikes, snowboards, skis, skates, hockey sticks, scuba equipment, and surfboards. The Element's plastic fenders and bumpers are there to provide a "worry-free" place to lean things like bikes or snowboards without hurting the paint finish.

The Element's boxy design maximizes interior space. A tall roof, vertical bodysides, and low floor contribute to an extremely roomy interior and cargo area. Rear-hinged rear doors and the absence of a centre pillar create a huge (1410 mm/55.5 in) opening when both front and rear doors are opened. The front doors can reach an opening angle of up to 78 degrees and the rear doors can open at an angle up to 90 degrees. At the rear, a swing-up hatchback and a drop-down tailgate provide a large rear cargo opening.

Inside, the Element has a hard, flat utility floor, waterproof seating fabric, and two rear seats which flip up to the sides to increase cargo area. A removeable rear sunroof for storing tall items, like surfboards, is also available.

While front-wheel-drive is standard, Honda's "Real Time 4WD" system is available as an option. However, the Element is not intended to be an off-road vehicle, primarily because its ground clearance (6.9 in.) is not really high enough for serious off-roading.

Two models available

The Element is offered in two trim levels with a choice of standard five-speed manual or optional four-speed automatic transmissions. The base Element, which starts at $23,900, is nicely equipped. Standard stuff includes AM/FM CD stereo with 4 speakers, air conditioning, power front windows (the rear side windows flip out), power door locks, power heated mirrors, variable-assist power steering, four wheel disc brakes with ABS, tilt steering wheel, height-adjustable driver's seat, and removable flip up rear seats.

The Element Y Package model, for $25,600, adds a 6-speaker 270 watt AM/FM/CD stereo with subwoofer and inputs for digital audio sources such as an external MP3 player, premium seat fabric, a metallic-accented durable floor covering, cruise control, overhead storage bin, a folding driver's armrest, rear 12 volt outlets, metallic trim, seat back net loops on driver’s seat, and water repellent FXC rear seat fabric.

The Element Y Package with Real Time 4WD ($28,900) adds a 4-speed automatic transmission, and a rear roof-mounted sunroof.

Roomy interior

The Element's interior is huge for such a short vehicle. You'd never guess it, but the Element is a full foot (307 mm) shorter than a Honda CR-V. However, it's more than four inches taller and an inch wider. It doesn't have quite as much overall interior space as a CR-V, but its low, flat floor, upright sides, tall roof, and large cargo opening make it easier to carry bulky, wet or dirty recreational equipment.

The passenger cabin has plenty of headroom and legroom for four passengers, but only four... the two rear seats are separated by a centre console, so you can't seat a third rear passenger in the rear.

I found the front bucket seats comfortable and supportive, and as they're positioned fairly high, there's a good view forward and aft. Shorter or taller drivers can find a comfortable seating position because the driver's seat is manually height adjustable and the steering wheel tilts up and down. Both the front and rear seats recline, and they can be fully reclined to act as temporary sleeping quarters, although you'd probably find them a bit lumpy at four in the morning.

The Element's retro-styled three gauge metal-trimmed instrument cluster is attractive, but I had trouble reading the numbers on the gauge faces, particularly the left tachometer. The gauges are deeply set and the numerals are not that legible. Interior quality is rugged but of a high quality finish - the rubber-like dash material can be ordered in the same colour as the exterior of the car, and looks very attractive.

The centre stack includes an AM/FM/CD stereo and digital clock, mounted within easy reach at the top. The optional premium 270 watt stereo in my test car has an adjustment for the 6.5 inch subwoofer, but despite good bass, treble and mid-range sounds, I found the overall sound wasn't as rich as I expected from an uplevel stereo.

Three large, easy to use dials for the heating and ventilation system sit prominently in the centre dash area, and just below that the transmission lever sticks out of the lower portion of the dashboard. This position makes it easy to reach, but in the 'Park' position, it's a bit close to the heating controls.

The lower part of the dashboard includes open storage bins with dividers - the bins are shallow and items stored there slide around and may fall out while driving. As well, passengers tend to use these crevices for discarded candy wrappers and other garbage which looks rather untidy. The dash also includes two 12 volt powerpoints.

Despite all the interior space, there is a lack of covered, secure storage areas. The lower centre console in my test car was filled up with a large subwoofer - base models have an open storage bin there. Between the front seats is an open storage tray with two cupholders, and a third cupholder for the rear passengers, but this space could have been used for a lockable storage bin and armrest. There is an optional covered storage area in the overhead console.

As mentioned, the rear bucket seats can be folded up against the sides of the interior to increase cargo room, or they can be removed entirely. The rear cargo door consists of a lift-up hatch and a small drop-down tailgate which can support up to 200 kilograms. The cargo opening is large: 43 inches wide and 40 inches tall. The cargo area is 27 inches deep, and if you remove the rear seats, the load floor is 65 inches in length. Even longer items like skis can also be slid underneath the seats in their normal positions. The floor is covered in a waterproof rubber-like dimpled non-slip material that is perfect for storing wet or snow-covered recreational equipment such as skis, bikes, boards, or scuba gear.

The rear side windows do not roll down but they do flip out. My test vehicle was equipped with the optional rear sunroof with a removeable glass panel - handy for storing long items like surfboards, lumber, curtain rods, carpet rolls or anything really long.

Doors are awkward

The Element's rear doors swing out from the rear, but can only be opened after the front doors have been opened. The rear door handles are located on the inside edge of the rear doors. As well, the rear doors must be closed before the front doors. The benefit of this design is that there is no centre pillar between the doors and with both doors open, the opening is huge. The downside is that rear passengers must wait until the front doors are opened to get out, and when they get back in, they must close their doors before the front passengers. This sounds simple in theory, but I found this setup awkward. A better solution would be a sliding side door, like the old Nissan Axxess used to have.

As well, the driver and front passenger's shoulder belts are attached to the rear doors. This means that the driver or front passenger must unbuckle their seatbelts before the rear passengers can open their rear doors (assuming the front door is open). This seems like a design oversight to me..

With no centre pillar, you might expect the Element's body to be weaker in a collision, but Honda says the Element is expected to meet the highest collision safety standards achievable for front and side impacts.

Driving impressions

It's a fairly low step-in height to the driver's seat, but the driving position is unusual. The windscreen is more vertical than most and seems far away from the driver. As well, the front windscreen pillars are quite thick, and occasionally obscure vision when turning. Visibility to the sides and rear is OK though, despite thick side pillars.

Dash controls are well-positioned, but as I mentioned, the gauges are sometimes difficult to see, depending on the lighting conditions.

On the highway, the Element feels stable and the ride is comfortable but it feels bulky when cornering - perhaps a bit top-heavy - not really surprising given its tall height. Though truck-like in appearance, the Element has a fully independent suspension, an extremely wide track, and decent Goodyear Wrangler HP 215/70R-16 tires on five spoke alloys. The Element is a competent handler, but I wouldn't describe it as "fun to drive". It is a very comfortable highway cruiser, and for sure stops, four wheel disc brakes are standard, however ABS and EBD are offered only with the optional Y Package.

The Element's 160 horsepower 2.4 litre four cylinder engine with i-VTEC variable valve timing is more spirited than you might expect, and the Element has plenty of get-up-and-go around town. I found the engine a bit noisy under full throttle, and 80 to 120 km/h passing performance is adequate but not impressive. On the freeway, the engine revs at a comfortable 2,600 rpm at 100 km/h, and 3100 rpm at 120 km/h (with the automatic transmission). At higher speeds, there is some wind noise coming from the windshield pillars, but the engine and tires are quiet.

Fuel consumption is pretty good around town (11.0 l/100 km/26 mpg), but could be better on the highway (8.8 l/100 km/32 mpg).

The four-speed automatic transmission in my test car performed really well, even downshifting by itself when braking into a corner. I liked the Element's supple, accurate variable-assist rack and pinion steering and its tight turning circle of just 10.6 metres (34.9 feet).

My Element was equipped with Honda's "Real-Time" 4WD system. It runs in front-wheel-drive most of the time, but sends power to the rear wheels when the front wheels experience slippage. The system consists of a power take-off from the transmission that distributes torque to a propeller shaft that runs to the rear differential. The rear differential contains two internal hydraulic pumps - one driven by the propeller shaft and one driven by the rear wheels - that circulate fluid through an internal multi-plate clutch system. When wheel slippage occurs, the flow rate is greater from the propeller shaft pump and forces the clutches to progressively engage, sending up to 70 percent of the torque to the rear wheels in slick conditions and 30 percent in dry conditions.

My test-drive occurred during dry and wet conditions, and I could not really tell when it was engaging. The true test is on ice or snow, and that I'll have to leave for a winter test-drive.

Competitor overview

The Honda Element is such a unique vehicle, that it really doesn't have any direct competitors. Possible alternatives include compact SUVs like the Honda CR-V ($28,900), Hyundai Santa Fe GLS ($29,850), or Toyota Highlander AWD ($34,530), or possibly an AWD minivan, but they're usually more expensive.

Verdict

A unique, boxy wagon-like vehicle with plenty of cargo space and flexible seating, the Element carries lots of cargo for its size, but the door design disappoints.

Technical Data: 2003 Honda Element Y Package

Base price $23,900
Freight $850
Options $1,700 (Y package); $1,000 4 speed auto; 4WD $2,300
Price as tested $29,750
Type 4-door, 4-passenger wagon
Layout transverse front engine/all-wheel-drive
Engine 2.4 litre 4 cylinder, DOHC, 16 valves, i-VTEC
Horsepower 160 @ 5500 rpm
Torque 159 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
Transmission 4-speed automatic (std. 5 speed manual)
Tires P215/70R-16
Curb weight 1631 kg (3596 lb.)
Wheelbase 2576 mm (101.4 in.)
Length 4300 mm (169.3 in.)
Width 1816 mm ( 71.5 in.)
Height 1788 mm ( 70.4 in.)
Cargo volume 736 litres (26.0 cu. ft.) behind rear seats
2058 litres (72.7 cu. ft.) seats folded to sides
2183 litres (77.1 cu. ft.) seats removed
Fuel consumption City: 11.0 l/100 km (26 mpg)
Hwy: 8.8 l/100 km (32 mpg)
Warranty 3 yrs/60,000 km
Powertrain Warranty 5 yrs/100,000 km
Old 06-18-2003, 06:30 AM
Magik

I'm Gen X...bordering on Y (1970)...personally...I think they are ugly. It has to be the most unattractive vehicle Honda has ever built. No wonder it gets such poor highway mileage...imagine the "drag" created by this 'brick on wheels"...
Honda could have hit the latter point of Gen X & most of Gen Y if they hadn't made the price of the new Civic HB so high. You average 25-35 year old is not prepared to go out and spend $30,000 on a base model car, they don't have the money, the credit or the nerve. If they had shaved about 5-10K off that price tag they would have made it back in volume.
Have they not clued in by looking at what the 'youth' are doing to their cars through modification? I mean, all they have to do is drive through most major cities and they'll see what people want...they attempted that with the Civic HB...but then made it too costly to be practical.
The Element, ugly, expensive and won't sell as well as expected...that's my opnion.

Jason
Old 06-18-2003, 04:07 PM
AcuraFanatic

[Insert "Holy Old Thread Batman" related smiley here]
Old 06-18-2003, 04:14 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by Magik
The Element, ugly, expensive and won't sell as well as expected...that's my opnion.
well its selling at ~6k a month well over estimates

Element
Jan 03 3,725
Feb 03 5,510
Mar 03 6,234
Apr 03 6,480
May 03 6,982
Total 28,931
Old 06-18-2003, 07:08 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Magik
I'm Gen X...bordering on Y (1970)...personally...I think they are ugly. It has to be the most unattractive vehicle Honda has ever built. No wonder it gets such poor highway mileage...imagine the "drag" created by this 'brick on wheels"...
Honda could have hit the latter point of Gen X & most of Gen Y if they hadn't made the price of the new Civic HB so high. You average 25-35 year old is not prepared to go out and spend $30,000 on a base model car, they don't have the money, the credit or the nerve. If they had shaved about 5-10K off that price tag they would have made it back in volume.
Have they not clued in by looking at what the 'youth' are doing to their cars through modification? I mean, all they have to do is drive through most major cities and they'll see what people want...they attempted that with the Civic HB...but then made it too costly to be practical.

Jason
Well, Jason, with all due respect...you are dead wrong. I see many old people driving Elements. Check the sales figures. As jaje posted, estimates were for 30k a year and it's already sold that. It is a home run for Honda because of its build quality, reputation and features for price. And its uniqueness. In fact, my local Honda dealer rarely has more than two or three on the lot. I drive by there every day.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:57 PM
slmonn

Averages are only the grossest of statistics and can be very misleading. Additional breakout of staistics would show much more. For instance, I bought an Element at age 56 (does that make me Gen T). If two twenty year-olds bought one the same day, our average would be three buyers with an average age of 32. The fine staistics would show that twice as many 20 year-olds as 56 year-olds bought Elements. Besides, the most important statistic to Honda is that they are selling every one they make at a record low days-on-lot.

I have always driven small, fast sport coupes but finally got tired of not being able to haul anything bigger than a breadbox. The Element is also reasonably economical and fairly agile and spunky for a 3500 pound vehicle. That weight affects the mileage more than the shape which does take about 10 mph off top speed. As an anti-SUV driver the fact that it is six inches shorter than my wife's Civic is very redeeming. I have, however kept my 1980 Fiat Spyder 2000 for recreation.

I am thoroughly enjoying it and don't care whether it appeals to others. It is very unique and I appreciate that. Wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same taste and all drove Accord coupes? Thank goodness for variety.