Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

America needs more diesels

Old 01-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Tirod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default America needs more diesels

Letter to the editor of Automotive News by Jim Siegel

I am troubled by the can't-do attitude I see at Ford Motor Co. in diesel development. Ford finds reasons why it can't market the V-6 diesel while DaimlerChrysler finds reasons to market the Liberty diesel.

Winners in this industry are leaders that take innovative risks. I wish more companies would provide diesels. You don't see Volkswagen offering incentives to sell every diesel it can send to the United States.

If we had more diesels, we could reduce the amount of oil we have to import from our "allies" in the Middle East.
lets discuss :thumbup:...

i couldnt agree more, with bush all over fuel economy lately, why hasnt he struck this? (or has he? lol)
Old 01-15-2003, 12:50 PM
JonD

I really don't think we need anymore diesel anything. That's just old way thinking. To make a change we need more fuel cell and new technologies.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:54 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Before we get more mainstream diesel applications like in Europe, we'll need the low-sulfur diesel fuel like in Europe.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:00 PM
asianautica

Why do you think diesel is old way of thinking? Like anything, it can always be make better than what it start out to be. The cost of improving something is much better than the cost of creating a new thing. Diesel already have good milage, why not just expand on that. At least for the mean time.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:16 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by asianautica
Why do you think diesel is old way of thinking? Like anything, it can always be make better than what it start out to be. The cost of improving something is much better than the cost of creating a new thing. Diesel already have good milage, why not just expand on that. At least for the mean time.
He's saying that any kind of internal combustion engine is old way of thinking. He meant that we need to look into real alternatives.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Tirod

Originally posted by yianni64
He's saying that any kind of internal combustion engine is old way of thinking. He meant that we need to look into real alternatives.
why is that not a real alternative?
Old 01-15-2003, 03:11 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tirod-slc
why is that not a real alternative?
Because it's the same concept as gasoline, only more efficient but with its own drawbacks.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:37 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

People in this country are used to:

1. Enough power to pass a truck on the highway quick and easy.

2. Heat within a few minutes of starting the engine when it's 10 degrees outside.

3. The notion that diesels are dirty -- even with the low sulfur grade in Europe, people associate diesel: dirty.

I have no problem with them giving it a shot, but don't be surprised if it flopps.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:40 PM
More&Faster

ya but look at biodiesel. you can run existing diesel engines on a 100% clean, renewable resource. its made from corn, which is plentiful in this country. maybe not as cheap as petroleum, but making a slow transition to it is definitely viable. ill try and find some more info on it.

heres a start:
* Pure biodiesel is biodegradable, nontoxic and essentially free of sulfur and aromatics. It is a renewable resource, based on soybean and other oil crops that are grown anew each year. It is produced domestically, reducing this country's dependence on foreign oil. It requires no engine modifications or changes in the fuel handling and delivery systems. Some vehicle hoses may need to be changed. Biodiesel delivers similar torque, horsepower and miles per gallon.
heres some basic info
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/biodiesel_basics/

www.biodiesel.org has a ton of info on it

ps my first car was a diesel, and my bros first car was a diesel too. and my mom drives a 2001 vw jetta turbo diesel, so im a pretty big fan. :thumbup:
Old 01-15-2003, 03:54 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

How's getting the heat going on a day like today on your Mom's Jetta? I mean, buurrrrr! I've heard diesels can take up to 15 minutes to get up to peak running temp.