Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Toyota Joining NASCAR?

Old 12-27-2002, 11:15 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Joining NASCAR?

Camrys in Cup? Toyota expected to join NASCAR's big league in '07

While it’s years from an official announcement, we have word that an agreement has been reached between Toyota and NASCAR for Toyota to race in Winston Cup in 2007. That’ll be three years after it starts in Craftsman Truck in 2004.
Toyota engineers are working on the carbureted V8. It’s still on the computer at this point, but will soon come to three-dimensional form. One problem with the engine is casting it in iron. Most Toyota blocks are aluminum alloy, but engineers found a Toyota facility in Japan that still casts in iron.

The Craftsman entry will feature a Tundra body and the Cup car will be a Camry, “whatever the Camry will look like then,” Toyota sources said.
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=00601529

:wtf:
Toyota lowering their standards? NASCAR sucks!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:25 AM
DakarM

Personally I don't care for NASCAR type of racing (going around a circle), except when they do an occasional road course (like at Sears Point).

But you can't knock NASCAR cars. They are great race cars.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:51 AM
rb6teg

I hope Toyota embarasses the domestics.....:thumbup:
Old 12-27-2002, 08:15 PM
yianni64

Yeah, theyll have to travel back in time to create that engine. And a "carmy" body? weak. Toyota has NO racing cred at all, they just pick whats hot at the time and throw tons of money into it. weak.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:17 PM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

You'd think they'd use the Solara. The only reason Dodge and Ford use the Intrepid and Taurus (respectively) are because they don't have any large coupes. Now Pontiac's gonna' use a sedan too, but perhaps Dodge will go back to a coupe. (I know that the only difference between a coupe and sedan in NASCAR is where the body line are painted, but I still think coupes should be the basis).
Old 12-27-2002, 11:17 PM
nando11211

The Solara is based off of the Camry, as well as the Sienna. The Sienna is a van version of the Camry and the Solara is a coupe version of the Camry.

Right now Toyota is in a lower series of Nascar and they are using the Celica with the V6 Engine.

In 2003 or 04, Toyota is going to use the Tundra as their truck and race it in the Nascar truck series.

I dont mind Nascar, my grampa used to race in Nascar so he got me into it kinda.

Oh and hopefully Toyota will show up the domestics. =)
Old 12-28-2002, 11:19 AM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally posted by yianni64
Yeah, theyll have to travel back in time to create that engine. And a "carmy" body? weak. Toyota has NO racing cred at all, they just pick whats hot at the time and throw tons of money into it. weak.
Fool. No racing cred? I'm guessing you didn't see the '99 Le Mans, don't keep up with F1 (or Cart), or NHRA drag racing.

You criticize posters for saying stupid things or spewing ignorant crap. Well, you're obviously uninformed about this topic. :squint: Do your research and try again.

Good job there buddy! :slap:
Old 12-28-2002, 12:19 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ILuvItTheJDM
Fool. No racing cred? I'm guessing you didn't see the '99 Le Mans, don't keep up with F1 (or Cart), or NHRA drag racing.
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of how Toyota paid off CART (through joining their series and providing all that advertising money) to change the engine specifications to an engine they already had for IRL, which screwed Honda. Mad props to Toyota for claiming that they had won the CART championship 3 out of the last 4 years with their (new) driver, even though that driver had won all those races under Honda power. Those are only two examples... I have absolutely no respect for the Toyota Motor Company.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:44 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Originally posted by ILuvItTheJDM

You criticize posters for saying stupid things or spewing ignorant crap. Well, you're obviously uninformed about this topic. :squint: Do your research and try again.

Good job there buddy! :slap:
everybody knows about toyota and their dirty tricks. it's too bad you don't know about that. YOU are the one who should do some research on this subject.

GOOD JOB THERE BUDDY!

Old 12-28-2002, 03:07 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally posted by iNteGraz92
everybody knows about toyota and their dirty tricks. it's too bad you don't know about that. YOU are the one who should do some research on this subject.

GOOD JOB THERE BUDDY!

Thanks. I suppose all other car companies are perfect angles.

:jlammy: