Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2003 BMW 760Li

Old 12-20-2002, 09:19 PM
yianni64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rick
the ///M cars will get and most likely be SMG only. the non ///M models will get SSG which is a toned down version.

honestly has anyone of you guys driven SMG M3? it's really the best thing for track. beats the manual hands down. I'd love to be able to afford a SMG M3, that way I can track the car.
I have driven one. It was pretty cool actually. If I was buying an M3, I'd most likely get it with SMG II. Then again, it's more fun to drive a stick shift around town. Downshifting is fun
Old 12-20-2002, 10:05 PM
rick
not noob?

you can down shift with the SMG as well and it will even bleep the throttle and match the rev
Old 12-21-2002, 05:25 AM
yianni64

you can down shift with the SMG as well and it will even bleep the throttle and match the rev

Yeah, I know that. I mean the action of doing it manualy with a stick shift. It's like, more rewarding.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:46 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

I think that no matter how well the SMG performs or out performs a true manual transmission, you will NEVER be more connected or one with the car than with a true manual. The fact that your left foot is the link between the engine and transmission, your right hand clicking with confidence through the gears, your senses mixing the sound of the engine, the revs on the tach, and steering the car through the twisties, all the intangables that make sporting cars as enjoyable as they are, is only possible with a purely mechanical manual transmission. No computer controlled shift points. No switches. No gear indicator on the dashbord.... if you need one of those I feel sorry for you to begin with. Just pure driving bliss.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:46 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally posted by yianni64
Most people that buy M3's and entusiast, not posers, or so I'd like to think.
Unfortunately any expensive sports car is bought mostly by posers. Go to a BMW board. Most of the M3 guys talk about how their car is so fast and how they're better than people with lesser cars. Basically the same performance posers you see anywhere, just with more money.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:35 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I do not doubt the benefits of SMG...I just feel you are actually driving the car more yourself when you need to engage the clutch...even with SMG there is a computer that aids in your shifting. I, myself, would prefer having a 6spd.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:25 PM
rick
not noob?

Fastball: no need to feel sorry for me. I need SMG only to track. Reason being my left leg is extremely weak (so weak that I have to lift it with my left arm to put it on the clutch pedal).

2nd I have an M Coupe which is fine for autoXing. but the sustained G-loads on a track kills my leg. After about 5-6mins I can't not press the clutch in to shift.

There is no one answer for what makes someone an ethusiast.
Some buy SMG for the novelty but most for it's added benefit on the track (at least the 3 people I know did). You can discount SMG as taking away from the driving experience but you can't argue with it's performance benefits

As it is I'm considering Lancer Evolution GTA (yes the automatic model).
Old 12-21-2002, 08:57 PM
yianni64

Fastball: no need to feel sorry for me. I need SMG only to track. Reason being my left leg is extremely weak (so weak that I have to lift it with my left arm to put it on the clutch pedal).

2nd I have an M Coupe which is fine for autoXing. but the sustained G-loads on a track kills my leg. After about 5-6mins I can't not press the clutch in to shift.

There is no one answer for what makes someone an ethusiast.
Some buy SMG for the novelty but most for it's added benefit on the track (at least the 3 people I know did). You can discount SMG as taking away from the driving experience but you can't argue with it's performance benefits

As it is I'm considering Lancer Evolution GTA (yes the automatic model).
Please please please, get SMGII. I'll weep if you buy an automatic.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:07 PM
rick
not noob?

I can't afford an E46 M3. At least not in the time frame I want to get it in.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:27 PM
yianni64

I can't afford an E46 M3. At least not in the time frame I want to get it in.
yeah, thought so. C32 would have to do for now eh?

thing is, the EVO is a lot more extreme than the C32. so like getting a MB with an auto is a must, and its a luxury car anyways. but a bare bones rally car doesnt go with an auto.