Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2003 BMW 760Li

Old 12-19-2002, 03:46 PM
99AccordCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a BMW event and test drove the 745iL. Let me tell you, it's fast, but you don't feel connected to the car. The steering is too light, you can steer with a finger. The acceleration is so quiet you look down at the speedo and you're doing 65mph, but it doesn't feel like it. Feels like you're going slower. And the brakes take very little effort and have no vibration or anything like it. You come out feeling like the car is driving you instead of the other way around. By the way the Logic 7 sound system in the car is amazing. Complete surround sound makes even radio stations sound excellent.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:28 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by rick
which is exactly why I will not buy this car or other new bmws this decade.

BMW = performance then luxury

MB = Luxury then performance.

To quote acurafanatic

hey, i used to say that.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:23 AM
rick
not noob?

Originally posted by yianni64
hey, i used to say that.

oops
Old 12-20-2002, 06:00 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by rick
oops
Yeah, BMW is getting suckier and MB is getting nicer.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:02 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I have always considered the BMW 7, Mercedes' S, and Audi's 8 to all be luxury cars only. Sure Merc and Audi have AMG and S versions of their flagship models, but even those are more geared towards luxury. As for the 7 being almost total luxury I do not have a problem with it. Where I will have a problem is if the next generation of the 5 series starts to be more form over function. I like the fact that in any model 3 or 5 you can get a manual, sport package, sport seats, an M version, etc. You can also sitck with the base model and add the performance package and have a very nice luxury vehicle as well. I like BMW...they are y favorite car company...but if I am not able to get a 5 series in a manual in say 5 years or so I am going to be very dissapointed to say the least...I hope the rumors that they are moving to SMG only stay that way...rumors.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:12 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by DVPGSR
I have always considered the BMW 7, Mercedes' S, and Audi's 8 to all be luxury cars only. Sure Merc and Audi have AMG and S versions of their flagship models, but even those are more geared towards luxury. As for the 7 being almost total luxury I do not have a problem with it. Where I will have a problem is if the next generation of the 5 series starts to be more form over function. I like the fact that in any model 3 or 5 you can get a manual, sport package, sport seats, an M version, etc. You can also sitck with the base model and add the performance package and have a very nice luxury vehicle as well. I like BMW...they are y favorite car company...but if I am not able to get a 5 series in a manual in say 5 years or so I am going to be very dissapointed to say the least...I hope the rumors that they are moving to SMG only stay that way...rumors.
I dont see how making all their M lineup SMGII will benefit them. True enthusiast still want stick shifts. Most people that buy M3's and entusiast, not posers, or so I'd like to think.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:16 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally posted by yianni64
I dont see how making all their M lineup SMGII will benefit them. True enthusiast still want stick shifts. Most people that buy M3's and entusiast, not posers, or so I'd like to think.
Exactly! I think they need to atleast offer both...even if they make the manual an option for the USDM. As is I highly doubt the German enthusiasts will let them get away with not putting a true manual in the 3/5/M versions. On a best guess basis I would say 80% of cars/trucks in Europe are manuals, from my experiences anyway.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:24 AM
AcuraFanatic

I don't know, the last 7-Series was a drivers car, as much as it could be with it's size anyway. The 740i "short-wheel base" with the Sport package and 18" wheels was a hoot to drift.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:31 PM
rb6teg

IMO, the last 7 series (with the 18 inch wheels) was the most beautiful car BMW has ever made. It looked good at every angle.

Also, this 760 seems to be the closest we'll get to an M7.....I would love to take one out for a spin.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:43 PM
rick
not noob?

the ///M cars will get and most likely be SMG only. the non ///M models will get SSG which is a toned down version.

honestly has anyone of you guys driven SMG M3? it's really the best thing for track. beats the manual hands down. I'd love to be able to afford a SMG M3, that way I can track the car.