Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Ford to Replace Taurus With Model Based on Mazda

Old 12-13-2002, 05:27 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford to Replace Taurus With Model Based on Mazda

Ford to Replace Taurus With Model Based on Mazda
Dow Jones Business News
Friday December 13, 12:45 am ET

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is developing a replacement for its aging Taurus midsize sedan -- once the best-selling car in America and an industry icon -- based on the new Mazda6 sedan from its Japanese affiliate, Mazda Motor Co., Friday's Wall Street Journal reported, citing executives.

With its rounded styling and front-wheel drive, the original Taurus was a big hit and helped Ford out of deep financial trouble during the 1980s. But shifting tastes and unsuccessful recent designs have left the Taurus uncompetitive with newer models from Japan in recent years. Ford now sells more than half the Tauruses it builds to rental and other fleets. Toyota Motor Corp.'s Camry and Honda Motor Co.'s Accord now dominate at the top of the car-sales rankings.

With foreign rivals now attacking their strongholds in the sport-utility- vehicle and pickup-truck markets, Ford and the other U.S. auto makers are trying to shore up their largely dated car lineups, often relying on foreign affiliates to do much of the work.

Ford executives hope the Mazda-based cars, which are likely to hit the market by mid-decade, will be competitive with the Camry and Accord.

By using the Mazda vehicle as a basis for its new model, Ford is hoping to save on engineering and parts costs through greater combined volume. Wall Street Journal Staff Reporter Norihiko Shirouzu contributed to this report.

Proof that Mazda engineers > Ford engineers. Just too bad Mazda's financial management sucks.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:10 AM
asianautica

Well, at least now we'll have even more choices in the mid-size market... I drove the Taurus yesterday as a rental and I can see why it's not doing so well. I really hope they can execute well w/ the Mazda6 platform. Just hope it doesn't look exactly the same.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:54 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Well this will be good for Ford...it might help them in the car sales side...not sure though what this means for Mazda?
Old 12-13-2002, 10:58 AM
asianautica

Maybe it'll help them lower the price since it'll be more massly produced. Maybe they can spend the $$ they save to improve it even more. It'll be cool if they can come out w/ something similar to the 6. Then when I go rent a car, i wouldn't have to worry about getting a Taurus anymore... heheh.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:42 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Ford is also expected to make a SUV crossover with the Mazda6 platform under the Ford name.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:05 PM
asianautica

Just like Nissan and their Murano on the Altima platform huh?
Old 12-13-2002, 12:07 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Something like that.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:48 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by kazi
Something like that.
smaller i'd assume
Old 12-13-2002, 04:52 PM
j-bloc

well ford better get their head out of their asses quick or else,all the other japanese maufacturers will surpass them in sales in even more key segments

Juist rmbr, on every car ford sold last year (2002). ford lost $1100+ per car....Honda on the other hand made a profit of $1300+ per car...sometimes i wonder how ford still survives even w/all their losses
Old 12-13-2002, 05:50 PM
velfarretokyo

Ford losses loads on cars, but makes it up with SUVs. Navigators and Expeditions can have margins of like 5-7k I heard when they are optioned out. Seriously, the real money these days are in trucks, although I think SUVs are finally losing some of their appeal.

A Ford based 6 would be interesting, but its most likely going to have major problems (a la Focus) and worse yet, will still use the same engines they have now.