Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2004 Nissan Maxima

Old 12-05-2002, 05:17 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically it's a Japanese spin on a traditional land yacht but with a bunch of annoying gizmos. Even if it does share suspension bits with the Altima.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:25 PM
qtiger

If only Nissan created a child company that used their motors but had a totally different design team and strategy.... then I might buy one of their cars. But that is...

SO FUCKING UGLY

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. h:
Old 12-05-2002, 05:32 PM
AcuraFanatic

Looking at the option list, some of the items do not make sense. A rear center console is a good idea, but why have it limit it to 4-passengers? Why not have it fold back into the rear cushion and allow the underside to be used as a backside for a 3rd passenger on the rear bench in the middle, like many car companies do?

I assume the 5-speed automatic with SportShift is for SE models, 4-speed automatic for everything else.

God bless the "multilink" rear suspension, too.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:41 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

You're confusing "multilink" and "multilink beam."

All the Nissan RWD and AWD cars of late (Silvia/180SX, Z32 300ZX, R32/R33/R34) all had the multilink rear suspension. This is a similar setup with no shared parts.

The current Maxima that came out in 2000 and the generation directly preceding it have a "multlink beam" rear suspension which is essentially a torsion bar.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:24 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by Honda/NissanFan
It wont have AWD.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:15 PM
zishan

Originally posted by velfarretokyo
I'm just wondering where this car will fit in the overall Nissan/Infiniti pricing scheme. With the Altima topping out at around 26, and the G35 starting at 28k there's not a lot of room for the Maxima. Its most likely going to take sales away from both.
This is a full size car. I doubt anyone considering this car would also consider a g35. Its primarily going to compete with cars like the avalon and the domestic boats. maybe it its luxurios enough, it might even be cross shopped with the a6.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:27 PM
zishan

Originally posted by yianni64
Dont be upset...when has honda/nissan fan been right? He's passing off info that came out about a month or two ago at freshalloy.com by some guy that supposedly works at a dealership. Everyone knows that nissan dealers are the last to get the real info.

It will most likely have awd as an option and might even be standard. Should start around 27k. Now I'm not saying it will definately have awd. However, the consensus among the people in the know at freshalloy say it will likely be an option or could even be standard.

We'll know more jan 5th when its unveiled at naias
Old 12-06-2002, 07:41 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I think it could look worse...but the back is just plain gross.

If Nissan was going to have AWD in a sedan I would have expected it in the Infiniti lineup first and the trickle down to the Nissans.

I hope they don't use the same interior materials on the Max as they did the Altima...it would be too cheap.

I bet Nissan will market this as a competitor to the TL...not the Avalon.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:39 AM
Troopa-R

Originally posted by DVPGSR
And sadly, the Accord sedan is worse.

I know that's gonna piss some people off, but the Maxima rear lid looks kinda like the Altima and the Elantra GT, with a hint of Legend coupe in the spoiler.

The Accord seems to be a bad attempt at a German tail. I can forgive the high lip (see: Jetta), but when paired with wraparound lights, it doesn't work. Actually, could someone photoshop the Accord rear, but crop the taillights from the wrap arounds to just at the corners? I swear, it'd make the sedan look infinitely better.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:59 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by DVPGSR

If Nissan was going to have AWD in a sedan I would have expected it in the Infiniti lineup first and the trickle down to the Nissans.

I hope they don't use the same interior materials on the Max as they did the Altima...it would be too cheap.

I bet Nissan will market this as a competitor to the TL...not the Avalon.
back end gross, correct.

Infiniti is going the RWD way, since they want to be like BMW. That's why I'm thinking theyll either phase out the I35, or even better base it on this new Maxima with AWD.

3rd, i think theyll be higher quality since Nissan got so much bad press for low quality.

4th, yeah, they sure plan to target the TL and not the Avalon. The biggest advantage I see that Nissan would have is thre maxima would have the 6-speed manual. Who knows, maybe the next TL-S will.