Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

I had a conversation with a higher-up engineer at American Honda...

Old 11-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Troopa-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I had a conversation with a chief product engineer at American Honda...

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
I don't have the sales numbers but I'm pretty sure the RAV4 is clobbering the CR-V at the moment, so the Element should at the very least have a halo effect of bringing more people into the Honda stores. People looking at the Element stand a good chance of ending up in a CR-V since it's more practical.
For October:

CR-V - 10437
RAV4 - 6114

The RAV4 hasn't been any kind of challenge to the CR-V or #2 Ford Escape for awhile. Mostly because it costs the same, but is significantly smaller than either.

As for the rest, I don't understand the whole Type-R thing. Why doesn't Honda's biggest market deserve Honda's sportiest cars again? And the Civic Si isn't selling because the car is a slow porker, not because it's a hatchback. The entire Gen7 Civic line is messed up. Hope that Honda works harder on the Gen8's.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:40 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Well yeah that shows how much I know about the sales figures. I was basing that just off my observations of non-midwestern suburbia while visiting home over the summer.

As for getting rid of the V6 that's more of they're trying to put more potent 4-cylinder motors into models which might have traditionally called for a V6, a la the TSX. The issue with the transmissions is that they were like popping out of gear or suddenly downshifting on the highway and stuff but rather than issue a recall Honda just silently extended the warranty. They're not going to like have a 2.4TL or a NSX with a 4-banger by any means, just the general trend is going to be a shift towards larger proportions of 4-cylinder to 6-cylinder motors sold in this country.

The motors I found out about I just got from the regular ole Honda UK website listed as the two powertrain choices for the 2003 Accord. Who knows what the TSX will have. Maybe we'll get the K20A3 in the base model and some super-secret 240 hp 2.4-liter that nobody has even acknowledged exists. I don't really know.

And no, I didn't keep the guy's phone number. What do you want me to do, call him up every 6 months like "yo this is that kid from UW-Madison" and then ask for the latest dirt? I'll let him live his life in peace.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:16 PM
yianni64

Default Re: Re: I had a conversation with a chief product engineer at American Honda...

Originally posted by Eternal RSXness
The entire Gen7 Civic line is messed up. Hope that Honda works harder on the Gen8's.
i dont think the gen7 is that bad, is the there is a lot of competition this time around.