Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

MDX Pilot only 5 star safe suvs on road

Old 10-15-2002, 06:28 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDX Pilot only 5 star safe suvs on road

Honda PR Torrance, Calif. 10/15/2002 -- The all-new 2003 Honda Pilot and 2003 Acura MDX (the CR-V was the 1st small SUV to win the same accolades) are the first midsize sport utility vehicles ever to earn the Federal government's top Five Star safety rating for the driver, front passenger and rear seat passengers in both front- and side-impact crash tests, according to information released today by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The family-oriented Pilot and luxury performance MDX join the compact 2003 Honda CR-V (tested in 2002) as the only SUVs available that achieve Five Star NHTSA front- and side-impact ratings in all crash tests.

"Achieving the highest possible all-around NHTSA test ratings for Pilot and MDX further demonstrates our commitment to safety," said Dick Colliver, American Honda executive vice president. "The Pilot and MDX are the latest products to showcase the company's world-class safety technology."

The front- and side-impact crash tests are part of NHTSA's New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) that provides consumers with safety information on the two most common injury-causing crashes.

In frontal tests, vehicles are crashed at 35 mph into a rigid, fixed barrier. The side crash is conducted with a moving, deformable barrier impacting the vehicle at 38.5 mph. Vehicles are given a rating from one to five stars, with five stars indicating the best level of crash protection.

All 2003 Honda Pilot and 2003 Acura MDX models feature advanced dual-stage, dual threshold driver and front passenger airbags which can deploy at two different rates, depending on the severity of the crash. In addition, if the occupant seat belt is not fastened, the airbags deploy at a lower collision speed to help offer more protection to the unbelted occupant. Both Pilot and MDX are also equipped with Honda's advanced side airbag system that include cutoff systems to prevent the side airbag from deploying if a child or small statured adult is leaning into the side airbag deployment path.

Both Pilot and MDX bodies were designed to deform progressively in front and side collisions. Engineering the front, side and rear sections to help absorb the energy of a collision reduces the likelihood of occupant injury. The reinforcing structures enhance collision protection and provide the added strength for cargo carrying, off road performance and towing.

Both Pilot and MDX were designed and developed primarily by Honda R&D engineers in Ohio and California. Both Pilot and MDX are built exclusively at Honda of Canada Manufacturing in Alliston, Ontario.

Pilot Ratings
MDX Ratings
CR-V Ratings
Old 10-15-2002, 07:25 AM
j-bloc

STRONG!!!!

I wonder if people really feel safer in their expeditions & suburbans
Old 10-15-2002, 07:46 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

of course they feel safe... they know they wont be crushed, but they will be crushing other vehicles.

Big oversized pieces of sh$^$#
Old 10-15-2002, 08:49 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by j-bloc
STRONG!!!!

I wonder if people really feel safer in their expeditions & suburbans
it's the big 3's way of life...safety with size and weight instead of technology...kinda funny when an expedition and civic both run into the same concrete wall and that civic driver would have less injuries...but those cases are rare...most vehicle collisions are head on and the heavier and taller the vehicle is the better advantage...that's a main argument the big 3 use to fight the epa and carb emissions/fuel mileage debates
Old 10-15-2002, 08:50 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

This is great news...but I never doubted Honda's quality in building. I thought the BMW X5 also got a 5star rating...or is that not considered mid-size?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:18 PM
yianni64

I think I read that the Accord will become only the 4th (after the IS300, Vovlo S60 and some other car) car to get all around 5 star ratings.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:39 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally posted by yianni64
I think I read that the Accord will become only the 4th (after the IS300, Vovlo S60 and some other car) car to get all around 5 star ratings.
Some other car 5stars all around NHTSA crash test result = Civic coupe w/SAB
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1856.html

I'm looking at the IS300 and S60, and both were one star short on both side of the front from getting 5 stars all around. I think you must meant the S80. :dunno:

S60 (4/4/5/5) - http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1920.html
S80 (5/5/5/5) - http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1921.html
IS300 (4/4/5/5) - http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1864.html

The 02 Accords came so close getting all 5s.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1850.html
Old 10-15-2002, 07:44 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Something else I noticed on this list from NHTSA:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002SUVs.html

The MDX was the only one of two to get 4 stars for rollover resistance rating. The other one to get 4 stars for rollover resistance is the Pontiac Aztek. :ugh:
Old 10-15-2002, 08:03 PM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

i think the new 03 accords will get all aorund 5 star ratings too. is it just me or does it seem like honda is ahead of all other companies when it comes to engineering? you have to remember that honda cars are some of the lightest vehicles and the sheetmetal used on their bodies are extremely thin, ie. you can push the metal in with little effort. yet, they are some of the safest cars around, very ironic.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:34 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by kazi
Something else I noticed on this list from NHTSA:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002SUVs.html

The MDX was the only one of two to get 4 stars for rollover resistance rating. The other one to get 4 stars for rollover resistance is the Pontiac Aztek. :ugh:
The Vovlo XC90 will get at least 4 stars, maybe even 5 in rollover resistance.