Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

VW: R32 to return to lineup in 2008

Old 02-07-2007, 01:03 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW: R32 to return to lineup in 2008

[Source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/...en-rabbit-r32/ ]
Click for gallery links.

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit R32

Volkswagen today announced the return of its motorsports-inspired R32 at the Chicago Auto Show. First introduced in 2004, the R32 delivers the "ultimate in Volkswagen sports performance with dynamic handling and refined road manners," the company says.

The R32’s power comes from a 3.2 L naturally aspirated 15-degree narrow angle V6 engine. With 250 horsepower and 236 ft. lbs. of torque, the R32 is all muscle. The standard 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system transfers at least 75 percent of available torque to the rear wheels. Volkswagen’s acclaimed DSG transmission allows for seamless gear changes and accelerates from 0-60 in approximately 6.4 seconds.

It features fully independent multi-link rear suspension that sits wider and lower than its GTI sibling. Twin chrome exhausts, 18-inch alloy wheels, Bi-Xenon headlights, a uniquely shaped front grille and R32 badging distinguish this car from anything else on the road. A rear roof spoiler and deep front spoiler, coupled with body-colored bumpers, side bump strips, door handles and door mirrors, add to the streamlined, sporty look.

The R32 boasts a long list of safety features, including Electronic Stabilization Program that reacts to critical driving situations in milliseconds by controlling the speed of individual wheels; and a confidence-inspiring Anti-Lock Braking System that helps to prevent wheels from locking under heavy braking. Brake Assist boosts brake pressure in emergency braking situations and the state-of-the-art Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution automatically varies the amount of force applied to each of a vehicle's brakes based on road and driving conditions.

Inside, the R32 takes it cues from racing with aluminum-look foot pedals and deep front sports seats. Features such as automatic climate control (Climatronic), ten-speaker premium CD stereo system, rain sensing wipers, automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror, heatable front seats and heated washer nozzles, anti-theft alarm, cruise control and trip computer are all standard.
Not exactly wild about the chromed center section grille, but the rear-biased AWD and DSG sound promising. :run:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Ochdx

VDubs are looking aight... Did they fix the horrendous reliability problems?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:19 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Ochdx
VDubs are looking aight... Did they fix the horrendous reliability problems?
I don't think VW scored any higher last year on the JD Power survey, but don't hold me to that.

The question in my mind is where VW plans to build the USDM R32, because quality control is still an issue.

Let's just say the jury is still out. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:27 PM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

I like the first R32 better.

As far as reliability being better? I think not. At least it was still an issue at the last dealership I worked at.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DSG... and only low 6 second 0-60's? thats far from the awd competiton... and thats with the DSG acceleration gain!?

that DSG is clumsy as hell in the downshifts too i hear.... doesn't really impress me.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:46 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by sherwood
DSG... and only low 6 second 0-60's? thats far from the awd competiton... and thats with the DSG acceleration gain!?

that DSG is clumsy as hell in the downshifts too i hear.... doesn't really impress me.
Drive it before judging.
I drove a 3.2 Quattro TT with the DSG and it's an impressive box.

As for the 0-60, it's the weight.
I'll bet you this version comes in at over 3000lbs, easy. :hs:

Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Drive it before judging.

but so do STi's and EVO's, granted they aren't direct competition, its the closest thing currently in the market.

i'm sure the DSG is impressive.. i'm just stating that from what i've heard that on a circuit course it might be more of an annoyance. note that this is also probably because most of the drivers are so used to operating a normal transmission
Old 02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
DakarM

The last gen DSG would upshift for you. This gen is suppose to not upshift for you.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.

Last edited by DakarM; 02-08-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Drive it before judging.

WRX is 3100 lbs, has less power and goes faster h:

When I was car shopping I test drove a DSG GTI. I wasn't all that impressed by the DSG. I still felt like that after pushing the paddle, there was still a pretty long delay before it shifted.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
ultramantaro

That's pretty disappointing considering what the last version R32 accomplished. It wasn't faster than the WRX, but it was pretty close.

This one has just got blown out of the water. The only reason I would buy it is due to the AWD drivertrain, which you can't get in the GTi. The GTi alone with easy mods can smoke this overpriced behemoth.

It needs something closer to ~280 hp / 260 lb ft torque to compete with the WRX.