Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Mercedes-Benz Ocean Drive concept (and CLC-class production model maybe)

Old 12-26-2006, 02:53 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz Ocean Drive concept (and CLC-class production model maybe)

Look past the Mercedes-Benz Ocean Drive concept's LED head and taillamps and fancy flush doorhandles and you're looking at what a likely S-Class production convertible will look like. Names for the famous strip of road on South beach, the Ocean Drive would fit right in with the beautiful people and the high-end cars known to prowl the area.

Based on the V12-powered, long-wheelbase S 600 sedan, the Ocean Drive concept gets an oversized grille (we like) and retains its source car's four-door style. the side glass is frameless, and there are no pillars to interrupt the lines when the car is open to the sky. A traditional, large soft-top protects occupants in sub-optimal weather conditions, and the car features Mercedes' neck-warming technology called AIRSCARF. Nifty indeed. Build it.

From: http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/20/m...t-for-detroit/

Also a more recent post:

Mercedes registers CLC-Class name

Despite the spy shots we see now and then, carmakers often manage to keep a tight lid on some of the projects they're working on, only giving us the occasional glimpse. Their cover is at least partially blown at times when they file for a trademark on a name. Once they've filed, the name is published for opposition, in case a competitor is already using it, giving us a chance to guess at what they might be up to.

Mercedes-Benz, it's been revealed, has filed for a trademark for the name CLC-Class. Based on their formulaic nomenclature, speculation has ensued over what that could be. One possibility bouncing around is a two-door version of the current CLS four-door coupe. Another is a convertible version of the CL, the two-door version of the S-Class sedan. While it'd seem an unlikely name to use for this application, DaimlerChrysler may have taken the name to use should they green-light the Ocean Drive concept (pictured) we'll be seeing in a couple weeks' time in Detroit.

Of course we have to take this all with a large grain of salt, remembering that just because a large company like DCX has filed for a trademark on a name doesn't necessarily mean they'll be using it on a production automobile. Interesting, though, that along with the Class 012 trademark for automobiles, Mercedes has also filed a Class 028 trademark for toy model vehicles on the CLC-Class name.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM
rb6teg

And all gangster rappers everywhere begin fapping.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:14 AM
GhettoMax
My other car is also slow

Originally Posted by rb6teg
And all gangster rappers everywhere begin fapping.
:lmao:

new mb's have lost their "mercedes look" :down:
Old 12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these cars feature styling cues from many mercedes models of the past, but the problem i see here is the fact that the cars are also taking on a more americanized look..

the entire front end screams dodge, which doesnt mean that it was dodge sourced or even designed, but i can definatly see an influence from MB's american comrade.

what 3/4 of the car is left to straight german influence is also a bit muddled, i am seeing hues of audi throughout with a rear end that just seems a bit acura-ish to me. but this comes to no suprise as i felt that the RL was basically a honda in a shell of what should have been the newer mercedes.

imitation is a form of flattery, but when you start to imitate those who are imitating you, you have surely fallen behind.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:05 PM
autofreak

Originally Posted by GhettoMax
:lmao:

new mb's have lost their "mercedes look" :down:
I personally like the direction MB is heading in,although I can't say the same for the C class though after I saw the pictures of the next generation sedan.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Ochdx

I think it's kind of hideous, but then again, I'm sure it will find its niche market. I'm more interested about these LED headlights, are leds going to be the primary source of light, or will there still be a good old HID or halogen bulb? Because from what I head, the upcoming LS600h is suposed to have these LED headlights as well, and I'd like to know how they work.