Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

EPA estimates to finally drop in 08

Old 12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPA estimates to finally drop in 08

Originally Posted by The Daily Auto Insider

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued new testing procedures that will cause fuel economy estimates on the stickers of new vehicles to drop an average of 12% for city driving on most 2008 model year vehicles, and 8% for highway driving, the Associated Press reported. The changes are in response to consumer complaints that fuel economy estimates often don't match real-world driving. The EPA's new procedure will take into account data from vehicle tests designed to more accurately assess high-speed driving, rapid acceleration, the use of air conditioning and driving in cold temperatures, the story said.
Highly fuel-efficient vehicles are expected to see the largest slide, with ratings for city driving dropping by as much as 30% and highway estimates falling 25% from current levels. Mileage estimates for gas-electric hybrids probably will be 20% to 30% lower for city driving and 10% to 20% lower on the highway, the EPA said.

"The EPA's new fuel economy sticker ensures American motorists won't be stuck with higher-than-anticipated charges at the pump," said EPA Administrator Stephen L. Johnson in a statement.

it's about time. all these companies are cheating by fixing the gearing in alot of these cars to make the EPA estimates go sky high (toyota anyone?) you can't screw with real world numbers....

all i can hope for next is the SAE board only allowing WHP numbers to be advertised, but i won't hold my breath.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't exactly celebrate the lowering of MPG figures. h:

I agree that the old testing regimen was inaccurate and needed to be fixed, but the long-term goal still needs to be greater real-world fuel efficiency.

:hsughr:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:39 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

I agree the EPA should have more realistic ratings. If they drop, they drop. At least people will have a better idea of what they are buying.

Wasn't the Insight rated at 68 MPG highway? I'm sure that's with the wind at it's tail, going down hill in neutral with the engine off and running on just the electric motor.

Last edited by fastball; 12-13-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:19 PM
fathom22
Banned

Originally Posted by fastball
Wasn't the Insight rated at 68 MPG highway? I'm sure that's with the wind at it's tail, going down hill in neutral with the engine off and running on just the electric motor.
They routinely 80+MPG and many people have gotten over 100MPG on level ground. And the Insight can't run on battery-only power.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:35 PM
lexusis350

Toyota better redesign the Pruis. There is going to be hybrid bashers when the Pruis' real MPG is revealed. Other hybrids will have to watch out, they might turn out to not really save that much gas.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:46 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by lexusis350
Toyota better redesign the Pruis. There is going to be hybrid bashers when the Pruis' real MPG is revealed. Other hybrids will have to watch out, they might turn out to not really save that much gas.
the prius wont do as well because of the hybrid synergy drive.

the independent electric motor was great when MPG rating were done at set speeds and in stop and go in the city. but not at varying speeds at high speed.

the insight has much more steady numbers because it's IMA system could be comparable to a gas system just because there was no "electric on/off" phasing during driving.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 PM
lexusis350

Originally Posted by sherwood
the prius wont do as well because of the hybrid synergy drive.

the independent electric motor was great when MPG rating were done at set speeds and in stop and go in the city. but not at varying speeds at high speed.

the insight has much more steady numbers because it's IMA system could be comparable to a gas system just because there was no "electric on/off" phasing during driving.
O so the Prius might not have any advantage with the new tests. Toyota has a design flaw, should not have electric turn off/on. Honda's hybrid will benefit more than Toyota since it uses gas all the time when Prius will use electric only at low speeds.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:35 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by lexusis350
O so the Prius might not have any advantage with the new tests. Toyota has a design flaw, should not have electric turn off/on. Honda's hybrid will benefit more than Toyota since it uses gas all the time when Prius will use electric only at low speeds.
no, what i am saying is that it really doesnt matter what the EPA says, what people get is what people will get.

what i am trying to get people to think about is the fact that the city MPG rating mostly is so high due to the fact that it is running on electric at low speeds for the most part, once rapid acceleration and varying speeds as well as ac or other real world condtions are introduced that the prius will probably need to use the gas engine, and therefore more gas.

in short: i feel the old test favored the prius's design. the new test will probably recreate what most people will actually see.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Toyota has no design flaw whatsoever in the Prius, the EPA had a design flaw in their test.