Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

OnStar could go black for millions of analog subscribers in '08

Old 11-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OnStar could go black for millions of analog subscribers in '08

Originally Posted by engadget.com

If you just so happened to pick up a 2004 (or earlier) year model GM vehicle while waiting for that oh-so-tempting self-driving edition to land in '08, and can't wait to take full advantage of the svelte built-in OnStar system, you better start now. When analog networks have the option to go silent in 2008, vehicles equipped with analog-only hardware will not be able to communicate with those friendly voices on the other end of the blue button, which could leave some (previously) loyal GM customers seeing red. All vehicles kitted prior to 2002 will unfortunately not sport the same sense of security they once did, while select vehicles from 2002 to 2004 can be upgraded with digital equipment. Verizon Wireless -- the current network of choice for OnStar -- "has not said how or when it will dismantle its analog network," but will likely pull plugs in stages. While the value of OnStar's service is certainly debatable, leaving a substantial amount of your four million customers without a resolution certainly doesn't bode well if you're looking to snag repeat buyers, but we suppose it's the price you pay for keepin' things fresh.

[Via Autoblog]
sucks for them.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those 1st generation Onstar systems' hardware and software consisted of what basically was your typical car phone from circa 1989. Limited coverage area and intermittent reception. Certainly not even upgradeable under Verizon Wireless' new every two plan.

You'd have to rip the entire system out of the car, which is impossible since it interfaces with the ECM. But GM should have known about this. The FCC mandated a completely digital TDMA phone network by 2008 in 1999.

Last edited by fastball; 11-22-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Troopa-R

Well... too bad for the suckers who subscribe to OnStar, I guess. I actually wonder how many of those 4 million are regular subscribers and how many are car buyers going through their free year of OnStar with purchase.

Really, I've never understood the appeal of OnStar (at least enough to justify the charge). Sure the Emergency Service thing is nice, but I certainly don't expect to be in an accident or deploy my airbags on a monthly basis. And even if that does happen, OnStar won't sell me as much as safety ratings on the car, so that I can get out safe and use my cell phone to call for help.

My mom had a year of OnStar with her Acura RL for free. The entire time, I'm almost positive she only used it once. At the dealer during purchase. When they introduced the OnStar system. "OnStar, How may I help you?" "This is just a dealer demonstration" "Understood."
Old 11-23-2006, 06:08 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Yeah, there's really no point to Onstar with pretty much everyone today owning a cell phone. Once bluetooth becomes more widely available on cars, Onstar's only real advantage (hands free operation) will become moot.

I don't see it lasting beyond the next 10 years.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:29 AM
autofreak

On my mom's GMC Envoy XL she had onstar and she only used it about once or twice seperate from the dealer's demonstration, and one time it wasnt even for her pesonal use, it was because this elderly man had crashed into a fire hydrant and her cell phone was low on battery so she called in using onstar and the police came in shortly after. I think another time was when she forgot where she had parked in the mall so she called onstar and asked them if they could honk the car's horns and flash the lights and she found the car. Oh, the key fob was out of range to use the panic button so thats why she called onstar.
But I think that maybe the only key benefit of having onstar is that if a thief gets passed your alarm system and anti-theft deterrent system somehow onstar will be able to track your car down. But like Troopa-R said the crash ratings offer a whole lot more safety than onstar during the event of a collision.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:04 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Originally Posted by autofreak
But like Troopa-R said the crash ratings offer a whole lot more safety than onstar during the event of a collision.
Yes. If I was given the choice of minor injuries but no instant 911 call when airbags deploy or severe injuries with instant 911 call, I'd take the former.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:52 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

verizon's network is all set up. they have been implementing new phoens and devices for the EV-do network for over a year and digital networks for over 5-- seeing as both their 2.5g and 3g networks are fully in place verizon is awaiting the mandated date to kill it's analog network.

in other words, 12am on the date where they can kill analog, expect it to be shutdown.