Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Kia Design Snaps Up Advanced-Design Chief From VW

Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 AM
mayonaise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kia Design Snaps Up Advanced-Design Chief From VW

this ought to be interesting....

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116255
Kia Design Snaps Up Advanced-Design Chief From VW

Date posted: 07-22-2006

WOLFSBURG, Germany — Expect some Teutonic influence in the appearance of the next generation of Kia models.

That's the word out of Volkswagen headquarters today following the revelation that its advanced design boss, Peter Schreyer, has been lured to Kia to head up the Korean carmaker's worldwide design operations.

Schreyer rose to prominence during an eight-year stint at Audi in which he established a classic Bauhaus-inspired lineage that is now reflected across the Audi lineup. Reportedly, the impetus for his leaving Volkswagen was a long-running dispute with VW design boss Murat Gunak.

VW insiders had been saying for two years that it would be only a matter of time before Schreyer was forced to move on. Since last year, when he was passed over in favor of Skoda design boss Thomas Ingenlath to head up Volkswagen's newly established advanced design studio in Berlin, the 53-year-old Schreyer had played a low-key role in Volkswagen design circles.

Schreyer joined Volkswagen in 2002 following a shakeup of the Audi design department that saw him replaced by Walter de' Silva. Among the cars he is credited with at Volkswagen is the spectacular Concept-R roadster, the stillborn midengine two-seater developed under then-chairman and Volkswagen brand boss Bernd Pischetsreider.

His move to Kia is expected to help the Korean carmaker with its plans to provide its future models with greater design flair and a more uniform appearance across the entire lineup.

What this means to you: Kia is on a roll. With the addition of Peter Schreyer to its ranks, it won't only be quality that its rivals will have to worry about. Schreyer's ability with the pencil promises to make Kia a force in design as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Ochdx

So basically Kia picked up a designer that has been rejected even by v-dubya? Good luck.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Deuces Wild

I really liked the concept-r. Its too bad VW dropped it (ok really it was Porsche that did the deed).

I wonder where Kia is going. I only care about sports cars and the like so maybe well see a korean mr2 someday.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:31 AM
rb6teg

Good for Kia! I really like Schreyer's style.