Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Honda patents tech to clean diesel fumes

Old 05-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Ochdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda patents tech to clean diesel fumes

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...73246045999096

By ALAN OHNSMAN AND JOHN LIPPERT
BLOOMBERG NEWS

To view Honda's U.S. patent for its diesel exhaust system,see http://patft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm and type in patent number 7,043,902.

(Original publication: May 28, 2006)

Honda Motor Co., aiming to build the first diesel car that meets pollution rules across the U.S., patented a new method to curb smog-forming gases.

The tailpipe emission of nitrous oxides has clouded diesel's appeal in the U.S., the world's biggest auto market. Honda is betting that the new technology will win customers attracted by the greater fuel economy and faster acceleration of diesel cars.

In Honda's treatment system, exhaust flows through a plasma reactor, or gaseous layer of electrically charged atoms, according to a U.S. patent. The reactor separates out harmful nitrogen oxides and forms nitrogen dioxide that's then reduced or absorbed by alkali metals and silver.

"If they can get it out there, it's an engineering tour-de-force," said Robert Weber, who analyzes exhaust systems for Tiax LLC, a Cambridge, Mass.-based consulting firm.

No automaker has built a diesel-powered car that can meet pollution rules in California and some Northeast states, which are tougher than federal requirements. DaimlerChrysler AG and Volkswagen AG, the largest sellers of diesel autos, are working on systems that would meet the stricter rules by squirting urea, an ammonia-based chemical found in urine, on diesel fumes.

Diesel emissions, including nitrogen oxides and other harmful gases, have been linked to cancer, asthma and lung and heart disease.

Honda aims to sell a U.S. diesel model by 2009, five years after introducing its first such car in Europe. The company hasn't said which models will be available with its new engine. Takeo Fukui, Honda's president, said May 23 that diesels may eventually be available in the U.S. in the Odyssey minivan and Acura MDX sport-utility vehicle.

Diesel vehicles can travel as much as 30 percent farther on a gallon of fuel than gasoline-powered cars, Ed Cohen, Honda's Washington-based government affairs official, said this month.

Diesels are also appealing because they generally have more torque, allowing vehicles to surge forward from a standing stop. Six-cylinder diesels can provide as much torque as V-8 gasoline engines, said Simon Godwin, DaimlerChrysler's regulatory affairs manager in Washington.

David Iida, a spokesman for Honda's U.S. unit, declined to comment on the contents of the 19-page patent, issued on May 16, the day before the company announced plans for a U.S. diesel.

Diesel vehicles were 3.2 percent of new light vehicle sales in the U.S. in 2005, according to J.D. Power & Associates
Old 05-29-2006, 08:56 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depresses me that they're reluctant to offer diesels in small cars, but eventually they will.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:31 PM
9600baud
JDM rox ur world

Honda technology
exhaust flows through a plasma reactor, or gaseous layer of electrically charged atoms. The reactor separates out harmful nitrogen oxides and forms nitrogen dioxide that's then reduced or absorbed by alkali metals and silver.
Others technology
squirting urea, an ammonia-based chemical found in urine, on diesel fumes.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:03 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Honda didn't invent plasma reduction.

Nor is the urea/ammonia method anything to balk at--it's actually very effective.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:05 PM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

Default While DaimlerChrysler's BLUETEC is expensive to implement...

...Honda's new solution will likely be far cheaper to implement since diesel particulate traps are relatively cheap nowadays.

As usual, Honda has outdone everyone again when it comes to emissions control; remember the original CVCC engine that could meet the then-stringent 1976 EPA emission mandates in 1972 without requiring a (then) very expensive catalytic converter?

Don't be surprised that Honda will unveil a new 2.3-liter I-4 turbodiesel rated at 150 bhp and 3.0-liter V-6 turbodiesel rated at 210 bhp, with both engines sporting very high torque peaks at around 1900 rpm. The I-4 engine will likely end up on the Honda CR-V small SUV, Honda Element "lifestyle" small SUV and Honda Accord sedan; the V-6 engine will likely end up on the Honda Pilot SUV, Acura MDX SUV, Honda Odyssey minivan and Honda Ridgeline pickup truck.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by Ochdx
No automaker has built a diesel-powered car that can meet pollution rules in California and some Northeast states, which are tougher than federal requirements.
:eh: So TDI's can't be legally sold in California?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 AM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

Originally Posted by Kestrel
:eh: So TDI's can't be legally sold in California?
Mostly because of higher NOx output and the diesel particulates issue. With Honda's new NOx reduction system and DaimlerChrysler's BlueTec system combined with a modern particulate trap, turbodiesel engines can soon meet EPA Tier 2 Bin 5 and CARB 2007 emission requirements rather easily.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:36 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by redgoober4life
Honda didn't invent plasma reduction.

Nor is the urea/ammonia method anything to balk at--it's actually very effective.
how do you refill the urea tank?...will there be a urinal next to the gas fill so you can relieve yourself/fill the car up in one stop?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by MtViewGuy88
Mostly because of higher NOx output and the diesel particulates issue. With Honda's new NOx reduction system and DaimlerChrysler's BlueTec system combined with a modern particulate trap, turbodiesel engines can soon meet EPA Tier 2 Bin 5 and CARB 2007 emission requirements rather easily.
It's just that I swear I've seen TDI's with California plates, so that means they were sold in CA, right?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:10 AM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by Kestrel
It's just that I swear I've seen TDI's with California plates, so that means they were sold in CA, right?
yup. my co-worker has a TDI jetta. i dunno how the emissions laws work out, but somehow they're able to sell them.