Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Acura Needs More Models!

Old 09-21-2002, 05:20 PM
tennis32828

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acura needs more models

I think acura needs more choices in their line up. For those of us that purchase the 99 tls, where do we go from here if we are in the car market? The only upgrades are the MDX, RL, and NSX. The NSX is out of most peoples reach, the RL performance and standard equipment is lower than the TL (even though quality is better), and MDX is a nice sport utility, so it is more of a purposeful buy. So I hope Acura have something up it sleeves soon, beside the TSX. They need a model in the 40's and the 50's.

On a side note, I notice how Acura, and honda in general, always add more standard equipment each model year with a low change in price, but they in exchange downgrade certain item in the process. For example, the 2000 tls improve over the 99 tls by adding dvd navi, 5 speed auto, memory seats, etc., but the leather felt less expensive than the 99, and the silver trim around the shifter is plastic instead of chrome as found in the 99. I just wish Acura just keep or improve on the same thing and increase the price accordingly instead of comprimising too much.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:40 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: acura needs more models

Originally posted by tennis32828
I think acura needs more choices in their line up. For those of us that purchase the 99 tls, where do we go from here if we are in the car market? The only upgrades are the MDX, RL, and NSX. The NSX is out of most peoples reach, the RL performance and standard equipment is lower than the TL (even though quality is better), and MDX is a nice sport utility, so it is more of a purposeful buy. So I hope Acura have something up it sleeves soon, beside the TSX. They need a model in the 40's and the 50's.

On a side note, I notice how Acura, and honda in general, always add more standard equipment each model year with a low change in price, but they in exchange downgrade certain item in the process. For example, the 2000 tls improve over the 99 tls by adding dvd navi, 5 speed auto, memory seats, etc., but the leather felt less expensive than the 99, and the silver trim around the shifter is plastic instead of chrome as found in the 99. I just wish Acura just keep or improve on the same thing and increase the price accordingly instead of comprimising too much.
Very good post bro. Far better than most of the crap first time posters throw in here

Anyway, I don't quite get your analogy with replacing a 99 TL. You can also buy a 2003 TL Type-S or wait for the redesigned 2004 TL. I do agree they need 2 more models. They need a true luxury car and a sporty luxury car. I think the RL should move to a 45-50k luxury car with real leather on all surfaces, real wood, and a V6 (maybe IMA) and AWD. Reportedly the latter is in development, and they say you cannot tell the difference between it and a V8. As with most Honda engines. So you keep the RL a true luxury car, then you make a sporty sedan so you don't have to compromise. Make it 40-45k with the same engine as in the RL but make it more sport oriented. OR, they save a sheetload of money and just make an RL Type-S that is less luxurious.

Where do you think they need a model? I feel Honda needs a sub-civic model and Acura needs a sport sedan above the TL.

I agree with your compromise comment. However, that is how they sell so many..."a car for the masses"...Lexus stepped away from that and now has the ES and IS, totally polar opposites. Hopefully the TL gets more luxury and the TSX gets alot of spot. The thing with the 99 to 2000 TL is that there was more of a demand for memory seats, dvd navi, and a 5 spd auto and less of a demand for nicer seats and a metal shiftgate...see what I mean? They find the cheapest way to please the most people. That's Honda's achilles heel. They are stuck in their 1975 mentality of "VALUE VALUE VALUE VALUE VALUE".
Old 09-21-2002, 06:08 PM
integboi220

if there is a tsx then acura will have 7 models

audi has 4 models
bmw has 6 models
benz has 8 models
lexus has 7 models

so acura isn't behind model wise but i think it is lacking a higher end one way to solve the problem is to move each model up which i don't see happening or if they add one more model or replace the CL.

it should be like this:
RSX-19-23k
TSX-24k-28k
TL/CL-30k-35k
new model sedan or CL replacement-38k-45k
RL-48-55k
MDX-35-40k
NSX-90k
Old 09-21-2002, 07:46 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally posted by integboi220
if there is a tsx then acura will have 7 models

audi has 4 models
bmw has 6 models
benz has 8 models
lexus has 7 models
Audi - A4, A6, A8, TT and Allroad Quattro (considered seperate model) - 5 models

BMW - 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, Z3 (soon to be Z4), M3, M5 (seperate model range) Z8, X5 - 9 models

Mercedes - C-Class, E-Class, CLK-Class, SLK-Class, CL-Class, G-Class, ML-Class, S-Class, SL-Class - 9 models

Lexus - IS300, ES300, GS300/GS430, LS430, SC430, RX300, LX470, GX470 - 8 models

Not to be nitpicky. Just trying to clarify. And it's not so much model numbers, but how much of a segment you're able to cover.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:56 PM
integboi220

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic

Audi - A4, A6, A8, TT and Allroad Quattro (considered seperate model) - 6 models

BMW - 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, Z3 (soon to be Z4), M3, M5 (seperate model range) Z8, X5 - 9 models

Mercedes - C-Class, E-Class, CLK-Class, SLK-Class, CL-Class, G-Class, ML-Class, S-Class, SL-Class - 9 models

Lexus - IS300, ES300, GS300/GS430, LS430, SC430, RX300, LX470, GX470 - 8 models

Not to be nitpicky. Just trying to clarify. And it's not so much model numbers, but how much of a segment you're able to cover.
gosh... not to nitpick but

audi: u missed all the avant models and S models 11 models on MSN

BMW: if ur gonna count the M3 and 5 dun forget the coupe and roadster, and wagons ( 12 models MSN)
:fawk:

u got me on the G class and GX470 tho:thumbup:
Old 09-21-2002, 09:38 PM
yianni64

But where the Germans win is having a sedan, coupe, wagon and convirtible version of the same car.

Not to mention BMW is going to have a very full line up soon, everything from a 1-7(and all the variants of them), plus the M, Z and X models.

Anyways, if the new accord is so nice, and has 240hp and all, I personally cant wait for the new TL.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:27 PM
AcuraFanatic

The entire Wagon, sedan, coupe and convertible thing does not always work.

For instance, BMW is dropping the 3-Series wagon from the lineup next year.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:36 PM
EKY

I agree that Acura needs something between the TL and RL, However before the inception of such a model, Acura needs to push the RL upwards so it's up to par with other flagships out there.

I disagree however where the first post states that the RL has less standard equipment than the TL. To follow suit... "Not to nitpick".. the RL has an electronic telescopic steering wheel, color matched steering wheel controls, auto-open moonroof, auto on/off headlamps utilizing a light sensor, electro-illuminescent gauges, spoiler under the side mirrors, real wood(Tendo), in addition to all other features found on the TL.

I really think the RL isn't recognized enough, although the lack of power and amenities when comparing it to other "flagships" justifies this lack of recognition. The details the RL contains are overlooked by many including the awesome fit and finish. There's moldings around the door handles and mirrors, all compartments open and close softly and slowly etc.. etc.. But as consumers have proven, this isn't enough to give the RL an agressive edge. As I stated a while back, hopefully Acura will push the RL into the S-class/7-series/LS territory, rather than having it compete with the E-class/5-series/GS.

Oh and by the way..did anyone catch the recent MotorTrend stating that the 2003 RL price is 28,980-33,480??? It must be a typo???
Old 09-23-2002, 07:33 AM
RavenLude

The RL needs a V8 and RWD and added luxury equipment, so that it can compete with the Q45, LS430, E500, and 530i.
The CL needs to be replaced with a vehicle that will directly compete with 330ci, G35 Coupe.
A Acura model of the CRV would be nice too, just to take sales away from the RX300.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:26 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RavenLude
The RL needs a V8 and RWD and added luxury equipment, so that it can compete with the Q45, LS430, E500, and 530i.
The CL needs to be replaced with a vehicle that will directly compete with 330ci, G35 Coupe.
A Acura model of the CRV would be nice too, just to take sales away from the RX300.
WTF does the RL need a V8 for? it totally goes against Honda's ideals, it is not necessary, and the V6 and FWD is a great niche to have in the northeast. The RL outsells the Q 3 to 1, don't tell me a RWD V8 will cure its problems. We've discussed this before and that is the concencus, like it or not.

The CL does directly compete with those cars. Are you trying to say they need to give it something other than FWD and make it more sporty?

The RX sells because it is a Lexus, even though the MDX is most often cross shopped against it and many buy the Lexus even though they liked the MDX better. The RX is quite bigger than the CR-V.

Quick Reply: Acura Needs More Models!