Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Cavalier sales 90% MTD

Old 09-18-2002, 04:44 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cavalier sales 90% MTD

Cavalier sales shoot up in August
September 18, 2002
ASSOCIATED PRESS

A broad appeal and sporty extras have helped the fuel sales of the Chevrolet Cavalier this year.

Sales of the small car rose to 90.4 percent over August 2001, and through the first eight months of the year, sales are up 15.2 percent.

The entry-level car is outselling the popular Ford Focus by about 17,000 vehicles for the year, but still trails the Honda Civic by about 35,000 vehicles.

"I'm almost out of '02s and the '03s aren't here yet," Brian Tellier, sales manager at Jefferson Chevrolet in Detroit, told The Detroit News for a Tuesday story.

The jump is surprising considering the aging Cavalier's bare-bones nature. And while the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Dodge Neon and other rivals have been overhauled in recent years, the Cavalier hasn't seen a significant face-lift since the mid-1990s.

"It isn't an aspirational vehicle. It's reliable," said Jim Hall, vice president at industry market research firm AutoPacific in Southfield.

The recipe for the Cavalier's newfound success is one part value, a pinch of power and a dollop of design representing its first significant refreshening since 1995, said Cavalier marketing director Mary Larson.

A sport model was introduced for 2002 that included a ground effects package and 16-inch chrome wheels. A bright yellow paint job is being offered, too.

"Young people took parents into dealers and said 'I'd like one of those please," Larson said.

Ride and handling have been improved, along with an updated front and rear styling.

"If you look at all the parts we've changed over the last few years, you virtually have a new vehicle," said Mark Hogan, group vice president in charge of advanced vehicle development at GM. "We're very pleased and surprised by how strong its selling."

Cash back incentives of up to $3,000 and no-interest financing have helped too.

None of Cavalier's main competitors has incentives that rich. There's $1,000 or no-interest financing available on the Dodge Neon and Ford Motor Co. recently sweetened deals on the Focus with a 100,000 mile, five-year power train warranty on 2003 models, in addition to a choice of a $500 dollar cash rebate or low-interest financing.

There are no incentives on the Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla.

The car appeals to consumers at both ends of the age spectrum but in similar financial situations, dealers said.

Elderly drivers like the car's size and safety features, while younger people are attracted to it's price and stylish extras like spoilers and CD players.

Although the Cavalier is far from a profit-maker for a company struggling to make money on small cars and fatten its bottom line, it's a very important one for GM and its dealers.

"Historically, evidence shows Cavalier brings people into Chevrolet," Larson said.
Down economy + large incentitive + lucrative financing + cheap car

I guess the formula is there in favor for the Cavalier to reach out to more people, but honestly who is he kidding when he said the Cavalier is reliable? :ugh: GM must be losing lots money on this.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:45 PM
qtiger

Please put "car" in quotes. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:14 PM
yianni64

Pretty pathetic. If I had to buy a domestic compact (and i do know why id do that) I'd get a focus at least.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:43 PM
97teg

"A sport model was introduced for 2002 that included a ground effects package and 16-inch chrome wheels. A bright yellow paint job is being offered, too. "

Im sure the yellow paint will help make it handle like an intergra type r. I just hope they don't call it a gt-r.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:37 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Haven't you ever seen any age of Cavalier with huge "Z24" decals plastered all over them? That's the sport model they're talkin about.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:46 AM
rb6teg

there is no Z24 anymore.........only ecotech sport
Old 09-19-2002, 07:22 AM
b18cya
uh, no u suck

Default Re: Cavalier sales 90% MTD

Originally posted by kazi

cheap car
:werd:
Old 09-19-2002, 08:48 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

what happed to the awd turbo'd cavalier ...i think it said "rally sport" on the side of hte car in purple cursive letters...i just saw one 2 weeks ago...i was in my wifes car in the passenger seat at a light...a cute girl in this "rally sport" cavalier was in the next lane...i glanced over and saw the "rally sport" and asked if it came like that from the factory and it does...i then asked her if it was awd and turbo'd like most rally cars...she just said it had the stickers on the side and some normal options such as cd player etc...THAT has nothing to do with rally...factory rice from gm......just like the "expresso" neons of before...pathetic attempt at marketing
Old 09-19-2002, 09:22 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by jaje
what happed to the awd turbo'd cavalier ...i think it said "rally sport" on the side of hte car in purple cursive letters...i just saw one 2 weeks ago...i was in my wifes car in the passenger seat at a light...a cute girl in this "rally sport" cavalier was in the next lane...i glanced over and saw the "rally sport" and asked if it came like that from the factory and it does...i then asked her if it was awd and turbo'd like most rally cars...she just said it had the stickers on the side and some normal options such as cd player etc...THAT has nothing to do with rally...factory rice from gm......just like the "expresso" neons of before...pathetic attempt at marketing
Camaro RS.... guess what that stands for.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:45 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

If you practically give anyhting away you are bound to get some people to buy it. Reminds me of my parents...my father will spend more for something because he needs it...my mom will buy something because it is on sale no matter how useless the item may be!