Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Honda Ridgeline Named Motor Trend Truck of the Year

Old 12-20-2005, 05:50 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Ridgeline Named Motor Trend Truck of the Year

Ridgeline wins but didn't have too much competition

The Honda Ridgeline was named the 2006 truck of the year by Motor Trend magazine, an award that could help boost the pickup's lackluster sales.

It's the second time this year a Honda vehicle has won the magazine's top award. Motor Trend last month named the newly redesigned 2006 Honda Civic its car of the year. The 2006 Nissan Xterra was the publication's sport utility vehicle of the year. The designation is important to automakers, who often use Motor Trend's endorsement in their advertising.

This is also the second straight year a Japanese maker has won Motor Trend's truck of the year. Last year's winner was the 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

The Ridgeline, which went on sale in the spring, is Honda's first entry in the pickup market. Motor Trend said innovative features set it apart from other trucks in its class, including an 8.5-cubic-foot trunk under the pickup's bed, four cargo lamps that illuminate the bed and a rear gate that opens like a door or swings down.

"The Ridgeline showcases a vehicle built on intelligent technology and impressive durability," Angus MacKenzie, editor of Motor Trend, said in a news release.

Finalists for the truck of the year were four large trucks -- the Dodge Ram 1500, Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Lincoln Mark LT and the Ridgeline -- and two compact trucks, the Isuzu i350 and the Mitsubishi Raider. Only new or substantially redesigned trucks were considered, and all had to be on sale to the public by Jan. 1, 2006.

The Ridgeline was the unanimous pick of Motor Trend's editors after thousands of miles of testing in a variety of weather. Motor Trend evaluates the vehicle's finish and materials, engineering, handling and response, safety and power.

Motor Trend also takes into account the truck's value for its price. The Ridgeline starts at $27,700, according to Edmunds.com, an online vehicle research site. By comparison, the Isuzu i350 starts at $16,989, the Dodge Ram 1500 starts at $20,090, and the Lincoln Mark LT starts at $38,680.

Despite the accolades, the Ridgeline may not meet Honda's sales targets this year. Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., said in January that Honda expected to sell 50,000 Ridgelines this year. As of the end of November, Honda had sold 36,000.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Ochdx

Ridgeline receives an award????

:screwy: :barf:
Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by Ochdx

You need to end yourself.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by AF
You need to end yourself.
Yeah, and you need to get a life.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:44 AM
mayonaise

what's wrong with it? if it's the styling you don't like, then meh - styling is subjective. but the award was given unanimously among all the motor trend editors, so there's probably some merit behind it. motortrend's car/truck/suv of the year awards are not not design awards. i think if you'd ever sat it one and explored the features for more than a minute or two, you'd come to the same conclusion that it has quite a lot to offer.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by mayonaise
what's wrong with it? if it's the styling you don't like, then meh - styling is subjective. but the award was given unanimously among all the motor trend editors, so there's probably some merit behind it. motortrend's car/truck/suv of the year awards are not not design awards. i think if you'd ever sat it one and explored the features for more than a minute or two, you'd come to the same conclusion that it has quite a lot to offer.
It's not the styling, its the utility vs price. For the price of one ridgeline I can get two isuzy's or nissans.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 AM
mayonaise

It's not the styling, its the utility vs price. For the price of one ridgeline I can get two isuzy's or nissans.
which, if you read the article, is also something they considered in the judging process. but which isuzu, and which nissan are you referring to? if you're talking about the isuzu i350 that was also a finalist for the award, you cannot buy two of them for the price of a ridgeline.

edit: edmunds and isuzu's website have the MSRP for the i350 at $27,358. the article grabbed the price of the i280, which is hardly comparable to the ridgeline.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:48 AM
stickyshifter

For the price of a Honda accord, you can also get two isuzu econobox or two nissan sentras.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Red GSR

double post
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Red GSR

Originally Posted by stickyshifter
For the price of a Honda accord, you can also get two isuzu econobox or two nissan sentras.
Good point. Still, I'd like to see these giant behemoths go away. It's still a gas guzzler. Just because you take the trunk of the Pilot and make it a bed don't make it any worse than an SUV. So I am glad Honda isn't making its sales target