Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Honda recalls 25,000 Civics (2006 models)

Old 11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
mayonaise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda recalls 25,000 Civics (2006 models)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9991618/
Honda recalls 25,000 Civics over gas pedals
Improper installation on some 2006 models may cause crash firm says

[Associated Press] Updated: 11:54 a.m. ET Nov. 10, 2005

WASHINGTON - Honda Motor Co. recalled about 25,000 Civics on Thursday because the accelerator pedal was improperly installed on some 2006 models, which could cause a crash.

If the pedal is improperly installed, it could come loose, cause the throttle to stick and raise the potential for a crash. Honda spokesman Sage Marie said there have been no crashes or injuries linked to the issue in the popular-selling vehicle.

The “vast majority” of the 25,298 vehicles under recall in the United States have not yet been sold, Marie said. A dealer inspecting the vehicles discovered the problem in late September and reported it to the automaker, leading to an internal investigation, he said.

Honda redesigned the sedan for the 2006 model year and it continues to post strong sales figures. The Japanese automaker sold 23,911 Civics in October, up 14 percent from last October, according to Autodata Corp.

The company sold 257,749 Civics in the first nine months of this year, down 1.2 percent from 262,958 sold last year. Honda did not immediately have a breakdown of how many 2006 models have been sold thus far.

The redesign includes a new floor-mounted gas assembly that involves the accelerator. The sedans under recall were manufactured from early June through early October, and countermeasures have been put in place on the assembly line to fix the problem, Marie said.

Owners were being notified of the recall this month and told to bring their cars to a dealership. Dealers will either reset the pedal or replace the assembly at no cost to consumers.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:58 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yet another reason why i love honda.

they dont wait for people to start complaining, they figure out the issue and solve it.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:20 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Nothing newsworthy, really. First year model are bound to have recalls. And this is a minor recall considering that no one got hurt from it.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally Posted by kazi
Nothing newsworthy, really. First year model are bound to have recalls. And this is a minor recall considering that no one got hurt from it.
Shouldn't they all be minor? A responsible company (i.e. Honda) takes care of issues before they become issues.

If this were Ford, nothing would have happened untill someone's throttle stuck, they crashed, died, and their family sued for billions.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:52 PM
DevilMayCry
HMC Fanatic

25,000 cars sold already?!?!?!?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:00 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DevilMayCry
25,000 cars sold already?!?!?!?
no, 25000 affected.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Red GSR

Originally Posted by kazi
And this is why it's hard to get unbiased views on a Honda board. Recall on the new Civic? Pat on the back on Honda for fixing it. Recall on the Prius? Shame on you Toyota. How could you let that happen?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:18 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally Posted by Red GSR
And this is why it's hard to get unbiased views on a Honda board. Recall on the new Civic? Pat on the back on Honda for fixing it. Recall on the Prius? Shame on you Toyota. How could you let that happen?
Settle down and don't point that finger at me. Other than big and/or controversial recalls and the easy target of Ford, I'm not like that. I wasn't even on the Prius recall discussion thread.

And anyways, these are recalls for cars that haven't hit the wild in full yet.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:29 AM
smakdown

Althought recalls are never a good thing, i praise toyota and honda for being relatively swift identifying the problem and getting the word out fast. I'd much rather know of a potential problem right now then 3 years down the road...cough ford cough.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Originally Posted by Red GSR

please. if it was 250,000 vehicles then everyones opinion would change. and... a honda site that is biased towards honda? no way! if you go to ANY forum that is oriented around one car or carmaker, it's bound to have some bias. i just love how people always think that's how it only works on honda boards.