Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX wagon!!!

Old 08-09-2005, 04:25 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX wagon!!!

Could this be the ultimate in practicality and performance? Spotted on test in Japan, it's Mitsubishi's soon-to-be-launched Evolution IX Estate - and Auto Express's spy photographers got the first-ever pictures.

Making a surprise debut on a wet Tsukuba race track near Tokyo, ahead of its unveiling next month, the newcomer completed three fast laps before disappearing from view. Sources said the car was undergoing its final phases of testing and running back-to-back with the saloon to establish a series of quick lap times for comparison.

At the end of the day, Mitsubishi's research and development test team declared the results were far closer than expected. Originally, they'd anticipated the estate's extra 100kg bulk would add at least two seconds' time difference around the two-kilometre track.

But the gap was less than one second. According to a spokesman, the carrier's rear end actually improved its weight distribution, which gave better traction than the saloon.

Just 2,500 Evo IX Estates are to be made, and the car will only be available here as a grey import priced from around £20,000. It shares the same chassis, six-speed manual gearbox and 2.0-litre turbocharged engine as the saloon. Expect a 0-60mph sprint time of around five-and-a-half seconds.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/58...lasts_off.html

Translation: they're only gonna sell em in Japan. Grey importing non-UK-market cars to the UK is a lot easier than importing non-US-market cars here, which is what the article is talking about.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:55 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

MFB - Why is it in the top picture the rear wheel looks HUGE and the opposite is true in the lower picture.

Oddly enough, I really really like the design of it too. Much more promise than the spyshots of the sedan version you posted a few weeks back.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:30 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Well the Evolution IX sedan is already out. It looks the same as the current Evolution VIII but with the front bumper as shown here. https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=180620

The spy shots are of the Evolution X.

As for what you're seeing with the wheels, the car is leaning the same direction in both pics. The first pic from the front shows the shows the side of the car on the outside of the turn, the suspension on that side is being compressed. The fenders are hunkered down over the wheels. The second pic shows the side of the car on the inside of the turn. The car is leaning away from this side of the car in the turn, so the suspension is being extended, and leaves a good deal of space between the fenders and the wheels. Maybe that's what you're seeing.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front bumper is different on the IX, as well as the rear diffuser.

IX comes with the tried and true 4G63 but with MIVEC.

edit: nevermind h:
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-09-2005, 08:02 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forrester STi here we come? thats all i'm thinking about when i see this
Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

Originally Posted by sherwood
forrester STi here we come? thats all i'm thinking about when i see this
WRX STi wagon would make more sense to compete with this
Old 08-10-2005, 09:11 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I honestly thought it would never happen. But I guess that a production in limited numbers (for the UK??) is to be expected.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:37 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by bluetwo
I honestly thought it would never happen. But I guess that a production in limited numbers (for the UK??) is to be expected.
Nah it's only going to be officially sold in Japan.

The UK government allows cars that were not originally intended for sale there to be imported by private individuals or small companies (i.e. not the original manufacturer) as long as they meet certain specs and are imported under a certain process following certain rules. Cars brought in to the UK this way are called "grey imports."

The article, which is from a UK-based magazine, mentions that the only way someone in the UK can get their hands on one of these Evo IX wagons is to get a grey import.