Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2006 BMW M5 Touring (BMW-speak for wagon) spy shots

Old 06-23-2005, 03:59 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 BMW M5 Touring (BMW-speak for wagon) spy shots

Having launched the M5 to critical acclaim BMW looks to expand M division sales further with the return of the M5 Touring. Purists may cry that the M brand will lose its exclusivity because of its expanded product plan. However, BMW is confident that they can be successful if they stay true to their current philosophy.

An M5 Touring will eclipse losing market share for BMW, albeit a very small percentage. All too aware that customers wanting a high performance wagon wander over to the competition, BMW who have the ultimate performance sedan cannot provide for their customers. As if to say "enough is enough" BMW can no longer stand by and watch the loss of customers when the solution is relatively "easy" to achieve.

BMW reckon that they have the ultimate product in the M5 sedan and the Touring is a very logical step. Also contributing to the decision is the fact that there are a couple of Audi Avants (RS4, RS6) and Mercedes-Benz is thinking of counter attacking with E65 AMG E-Klasse to regain some sort of power control of the high performance luxury sedan and wagon market.

The M5 wagon will have a significant weight increase because of its purpose but BMW is working to make this a benefit to the overall handling of the Touring. Distributing more weight towards the rear of the car will allow the driving dynamics to be tuned for sharper handling than its competitors. Just because you want the practicality of the Touring doesn't mean that you need to sacrifice the sedan's abilities.

Look for public debut at Frankfurt Motor Show this September.

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphot...id/6050623.001
Old 06-23-2005, 04:30 PM
mayonaise

have they done an M5 wagon before? i like it, but i'm a bit partial to wagons and hatches - especially sporty ones
Old 06-23-2005, 05:35 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I know they had an E34 M5 wagon and I think they did an E39 as well. Europe-only, of course. Although some E34's were imported here by private owners.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:41 PM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

I have my doubts we'll see the M5 Touring here not because BMW can't certify the car for USA sales, but due to these factors:

1. It would adversely affect the Corporate Average Fuel Economy ratings for the company.

2. Because the M5's V-10 engine is very likely very expensive and time-consuming to build, BMW may not have the production capacity to support selling the M5 Touring in the USA. As such the only M5's the US market gets is the four-door sedan.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:11 AM
ED9man
driver

The wheels don't match. :chuckles:
Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM
DakarM

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
I know they had an E34 M5 wagon and I think they did an E39 as well. Europe-only, of course. Although some E34's were imported here by private owners.

E39 didn't have an official M5 Wagon. Those you see on the net are cars converted by the owners.

E34 did have M5 wagon but it wasn't officially sold in the US.

Interesting enough E90 will have a 4dr M3. I guess BMW realized 4dr performance cars do sell well ala MB AMG C32/55.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:43 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

4 door M3? That makes me happy.