Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata production model info

Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 AM
DakarM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Here's a better view of the removable hard top.

weld that bish in and call it Micoupe h:
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

thanks for the additional pics mike.

this is scary, im really starting to like it :eek4: (i loved the 1st gen when it came out, hated the 2nd gen - no offense )
Old 03-04-2005, 10:13 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I find that a lot of NA (1st gen) Miata people are insanely partial to the styling of the NA and don't really like the NB. I tend more to think that the NA looks alright but nothing special, and is a little cutesy and boring, but can be buffed up with a bit of work; whereas the NB is nice and curvy and more like a Japanese mini version of a Jaguar E-type than the NA's Japanese (i.e. not gonna break all the damn time) version of Lotus Elan.

But it makes sense for Mazda to go back to some styling cues from the NA. Since Miatas tend to be 2nd cars for lots of people, they are typically owned by the same person for a longer amount of time. Even the newest '97 NAs are getting pretty old while the oldest of the '99 NBs (mine's a late build '99 with low mileage, and I just bought it 7 mos ago anyway) are still reasonably fresh. So the people who bought NAs when new as second cars are more likely to trade up to an NC. People with NBs are less likely to be in a position to buy another Miata just yet.

But hey, I like all Miatas.

And rich, maybe when the NCs start showing up on dealer lots you could get rid of the MR2 and pick up an old but low mileage NA from someone who just bought an NC.

Last edited by MrFatbooty; 03-04-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
I find that a lot of NA (1st gen) Miata people are insanely partial to the styling of the NA and don't really like the NB. I tend more to think that the NA looks alright but nothing special, and is a little cutesy and boring, but can be buffed up with a bit of work; whereas the NB is nice and curvy and more like a Japanese mini version of a Jaguar E-type than the NA's Japanese (i.e. not gonna break all the damn time) version of Lotus Elan.

But it makes sense for Mazda to go back to some styling cues from the NA. Since Miatas tend to be 2nd cars for lots of people, they are typically owned by the same person for a longer amount of time. Even the newest '97 NAs are getting pretty old while the oldest of the '99 NBs (mine's a late build '99 with low mileage, and I just bought it 7 mos ago anyway) are still reasonably fresh. So the people who bought NAs when new as second cars are more likely to trade up to an NC. People with NBs are less likely to be in a position to buy another Miata just yet.

But hey, I like all Miatas.

And rich, maybe when the NCs start showing up on dealer lots you could get rid of the MR2 and pick up an old but low mileage NA from someone who just bought an NC.
yeah, ive noticed the same trend amongst miata owners. i like the more diminutive proportions of the NA compared to the NB. anyway, i would love to replace my POS MR2 with an NA. but #1 - i dont have extra funds for another car right now...and #2 - im gonna hear all kinds of shit from my cousin who has a '95, whom i have called a homo on countless occasions h:
Old 03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Very nice overall. All that leather and the steering wheel... very nice. Cup-holders in the doors. That is pretty cool IMO.

It's even better than I imagined it would be. :thumup:

Now for the performance and handling numbers. Not that I'm expecting it to be a beast of course. It's just that I'm looking forward to those things.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:42 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Looks like there's going to be a limited edition version of the car soon after its introduction if not directly at the intro. This is not necessarily unprecedented however, as the 10th Anniversary Edition (which I have) came out as a delayed-intro '99 model. Granted the '99 Miata came out in spring of '98 and the 10AE didn't come out til about six months later.

Anyway, here's the press release and a pic.

Mazda wants to add some bite to the Big Apple. The Hiroshima-based company will use the 2005 New York International Automobile Show to reveal the MX-5 3rd Generation Limited, a unique, launch edition of the all-new MX-5 roadster, the next generation of the best selling two-seat, open-top sports car of all time. The show opens to the public on March 25.

The limited edition launch model commemorates the all-new MX-5's evolved "lots-of-fun" character and jinba ittai driving attributes, and marks its global sales kickoff, slated for the latter half of 2005. Jinba ittai (pronounced 'gin-buy ee-tai') is a Japanese expression that literally means "rider and horse as one" and conveys the harmony felt between car and driver in motion. The limited edition production run will be 3,500 units for global markets, and sales are being synchronized with the start of sales for the all-new MX-5 roadster.

The interior and exterior design of the 3rd Generation Limited features glossy chrome-silver parts as a salient design element, accentuating the feeling of high quality, and evoking the classic and the modern combined in a lightweight, open-top sports car. The inherent dexterity and light, responsive feel of the MX-5 is also expressed in the 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels with a newly-developed silver finish--a hue created to sparkle like that of a finely crafted Japanese sword. All MX-5 3rd Generation Limited models will come equipped with the 2.0-liter MZR engine and a six-speed manual transmission; each will carry a unique badge stating the sequential production number. Show model has Velocity Red Mica exterior --exclusive to the limited edition--matched with deep crimson leather seats. Additional colors will be available.

At the annual New York auto show, Mazda will also feature additional versions of the all-new MX-5. Other key Mazda vehicles will be exhibited in its Zoom-Zoom showroom, including the all-new Mazda5 and an upgraded model of the award-winning Mazda6. The show runs from March 23 to April 3. Press days are March 23 and 24.

http://www.media.mazda.com/news_rele...05/0316_e.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nc_le.jpg (92.6 KB, 617 views)
Old 03-26-2005, 06:07 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Here's a crappy picture of the limited edition (official name: 3rd Generation Limited) mounted in a glass box on top of the firetruck.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Deuces Wild

Click here for more pics on the Spec version of the NC

http://www.jimdaniels.com/gallery/vi...ro06&id=06pro5
Old 06-22-2005, 03:59 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Mazda North American Operations says its revamped MX-5 Miata roadster will begin at $20,435 when it begins arriving at U.S. dealerships sometime in August.

The base price is for the Club Spec trim with a 5-speed manual transmission. That compares with a starting price of $22,098 on the current model.

Prices rise to $21,435 for the car in MX-5 trim and $22,435 for the Touring edition, both with 5-speed manuals. Sport and Grand Touring models, both with 6-speed manuals, start at $22,935 and $24,435, respectively, the importer says at a preview of the car here.

The top-of-the-line Limited bases at $26,700 with a 6-speed manual transmission. The Limited is available only in Velocity Red with either red or black leather interior. Only 3,500 will be produced for sale worldwide, with the U.S. expected to get 750 copies.

A 6-speed automatic is available on Touring, Sport and Grand Touring models for an extra $1,100.

None of the prices listed include the destination charge, which is $560 everywhere but Alaska ($680).

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_mazda_sets_miata/index.htm
Old 06-23-2005, 06:51 AM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Jesus Christ I love this car. To be honest, I hated it at first but now it's just WOW. I look forward to graduating and working toward something like this (although the next-next Miata will probably be out by then ).