Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

First official pics of 2005 Porsche Boxster (987)

Old 09-08-2004, 12:28 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First official pics of 2005 Porsche Boxster (987)

If you’re looking for revolutionary styling changes, don’t look to Porsche. Zuffenhausen’s tradition of cautious evolution is clear in the new Boxster, shown in these first official photos. Contrary to earlier reports, the second-generation of the mid-engined roadster will make its world debut in a few weeks alongside the all-new 911 at the Paris motor show. North American sales start Jan. 15, followed by the Boxster coupe’s debut later in 2005. Starting prices are $44,595 for the Boxster, $53,895 for the S.

Despite its familiar appearance, Porsche says up to 80 percent of the ’05 Boxster’s components are heavily revised or replaced, although company officials admit many of the car’s crucial hard points have been carried over from the first-generation model launched in 1996. Two models will be offered: a base Boxster running a 2.7-liter 240-hp version of the German carmaker’s venerable flat-six engine linked to a five-speed manual, and a distinctly sportier Boxster S with a 3.2-liter 280-hp powerplant and six-speed manual gearbox. The five-speed Tiptronic is carried over.

Some of the changes: larger front air ducts, more rounded leading hood corners, and the really big one—oval headlights that replace the familiar teardrop-shaped units to provide the new car with its own identity, one Porsche hopes will finally distinguish the Boxster appearance from the 911. Elsewhere, the wheel arches protrude more, and taillights are more angular and wrap farther into the bodywork. Inside, look for a new three-spoke multifunction steering wheel, a revised instrument binnacle with black-faced dials in the Boxster and white-faced dials in the Boxster S, a Cayenne-influenced center console with a color information screen, and redesigned seats.

(Click for bigger pics)

Old 09-08-2004, 01:40 PM
velfarretokyo

The evolutionary design is a plus, as it keeps the best of the old but significantly updates its shortcomings (i.e. the interior). Performance is in line with expectations, as is the pricing. Overall looks good, but to the untrained eye its going to look strangely like the new 911.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:09 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

That interior looks really...outdated.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:18 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by velfarretokyo
but to the untrained eye its going to look strangely like the new 911.
Well seeing as to the untrained eye, the current Boxster looks strangely like the current 911, I don't think that's such a big deal.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Jason B

Originally Posted by redgoober4life
That interior looks really...outdated.
Just about all Porsche interiors do. :thinking:
Old 09-09-2004, 07:23 AM
velfarretokyo

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Well seeing as to the untrained eye, the current Boxster looks strangely like the current 911, I don't think that's such a big deal.
Its not a big deal, but Porsche had tried to differentiate between the two models more - at least that was supposed to be their intention. Even the article states that:

"Some of the changes: larger front air ducts, more rounded leading hood corners, and the really big one—oval headlights that replace the familiar teardrop-shaped units to provide the new car with its own identity, one Porsche hopes will finally distinguish the Boxster appearance from the 911."

Obviously, they haven't really done that.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Uh, the headlights sort of come to a point like the Carrera GT while the 911 headlights are more pure ovals...

Hahaha.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:08 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the exterior. The interior, however....well, I'd take a "spartan" S2000 interior over it any day.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:22 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I'm not feeling the headlights, but the rest is decent....I guess.

Does anyone have a side elevation shot ? h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!