Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Various New Rumors/Info on Honda - 3.5 SOHC V-6 in VUE, 3.8 liter MDX, TSX Info

Old 08-10-2002, 01:52 PM
AcuraFanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various New Rumors/Info on Honda - 3.5 SOHC V-6 in VUE, 3.8 liter MDX, TSX Info

First off, this kind of stems from the previous post about the the GM/Honda J-Series engine joint venture. It turns out that the Vue will be using the 3.5 liter SOHC VTEC V-6, not the J30A as originally thought. I wonder if it will be detuned from it's current 240HP rating. If it's not, it's a major league power boost to the VUE V6 (current V-6 makes a paltry 183HP).

From Wards:

Saturn Corp. is the only General Motors Corp. unit that will use engines and transmissions supplied by Honda Motor Co. Ltd., Ward's learns.

The Saturn Vue will be the sole GM product to use the ultra-low emissions-vehicle-certified 3.5L DOHC V-6, beginning with ‘04 models. Volumes call for 50,000 units annually for the 5-year life of the contract.

Vue's current GM-made 3L DOHC V-6 will be replaced with the Honda engine and a Honda 5-speed automatic transmission. The Vue will retain its GM-made 2.2L DOHC I-4 as its base engine.

The engines are built at Honda's Anna, OH, facility, which supplies V-6s for Honda and Acura vehicles. It is unclear whether power and torque ratings will differ for Saturn, but the V-6 will be “specifically engineered” for Saturn, says Jill Lajdziak, Saturn vice president-sales, service and marketing.

The Saturn decision ends speculation that began in December 1999, when GM and Honda first announced a technology and component-sharing agreement whereby Honda would supply V-6s and transmissions to GM.

A Honda source first told Ward's last fall that the V-6 would power the Vue. At that time, the plan was to supply GM with 75,000 units, down from the 90,000 units originally envisioned when the sharing deal was announced.

A Saturn source says the Vue program will take 50,000 units annually, raising the possibility of Saturn later using the Honda V-6 for the L-Series lineup, as it shares the GM-made 3L V-6 that the Vue is drops in 2004.

But a Saturn official says no powertrain changes are planned for the '04 L-Series. And L-Series could replace its 3L — imported from Ellesmere Port, U.K., — with GM's upcoming “High-Value” OHV V-6.

The decision on where at GM to use the Honda engine also appears to have been delayed at least once. Word is there was raucous debate in GM boardrooms about the matter. And Honda's desire to be an engine supplier is not as relevant today as it was during 1999's merger mania.

-----------------------

Secondly, there's rumors of the 2003 MDX having 3.8 liters and making 260HP. I agree with the TOV when they said it would make sense given the debut of the Pilot, but I think 3.8 liter seems too big. I could easily see Honda getting 260HP out of their 3.5 liter, but it's entirely possible. 300cc equals increased torque.

Full Story:

'03 MDX to get 3.8L?
-----------------------

And finally Ward's discussed the upcoming 2004 Acura TSX, as well as TL/CL/RL sales. Ward's claimed that the TL has not met internal expectations at Acura, which I find surprising given that they mention "Acura weathers bad times with the MDX and RSX sales." RSX sales are a fraction of what the TL sells.

Here's the article.

Ward's TSX/TL/CL/RL Article
Old 08-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Honda/NissanFan

I am confused. I am not seeing where Acura is going with the TSX. If it was RWD i might could understand, but being FWD hp around 200 mark, price range of 23k-26k, only one car comes to mind and that is the Honda Accord EX. Although the Accord is getting 240hp.

And Acura said it wants to focus on more Luxury to further itself from Honda (like Infiniti is trying to do), but they are creating a sub-entry level semi-luxury sedan that is too close to the Honda Accord. Look at what happened to the G20...Altima was bigger and more powerful and cheaper and the G20 is gone.

I under stand this car will be sporty, but I think the TL-S is doing just fine. If you really look at it the RSX and TSX really dont fit quite well under a luxury name plate, but Acura is doing there own thing.

I think they can get 260hp out of their 3.5liter engine, if Nissan can get 287hp Acura atleast can get 260hp. And this engine will fit nicely into the new RL.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:09 PM
AcuraFanatic

I've had the same thoughts as to where this car would fit into the lineup. However, I think it's too early to deem it a potential failure...we have too little to base it on.

What I really want to end up seeing is two distinct models, one for luxury and the other for sport (similar to the Lexus ES300 and IS300). However, it turns out that won't happen immediately.

I'm still excited to see how the TSX turns out. I'm anxious to see if AWD will come into play.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:39 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

the question is...what 3.5 liter is gm getting?...the odyssey/pilot/mdx all use the sohc vtec 240hp version...and the RL uses the old sohc nonvtec 224hp version...is that what saturn is getting?

the article also said the 5 speed tranny which indicates the 240hp version but that tranny may attach to the RL's engine

the wards news mentions its a 3.5 dohc v6 (doesn't say vtec)...there are lots of inconsistencies here
Old 08-11-2002, 03:58 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by jaje
the question is...what 3.5 liter is gm getting?...the odyssey/pilot/mdx all use the sohc vtec 240hp version...and the RL uses the old sohc nonvtec 224hp version...is that what saturn is getting?

the article also said the 5 speed tranny which indicates the 240hp version but that tranny may attach to the RL's engine

the wards news mentions its a 3.5 dohc v6 (doesn't say vtec)...there are lots of inconsistencies here
3.5L DOHC? Sounds like the engine in the Dualnote
Old 08-11-2002, 07:16 PM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

From MY1999 through MY2001 (3 years total) the Odyssey featured a 210hp (215hp on premium gas) version of the 3.5l VTEC J35 V6 currently found in Odyssey, MDX, and Pilot. Perhaps that will be the version GM will get. I think it would cost too much for Honda to engineer VTEC out of the engine just for GM.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:28 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by LuckyDog
From MY1999 through MY2001 (3 years total) the Odyssey featured a 210hp (215hp on premium gas) version of the 3.5l VTEC J35 V6 currently found in Odyssey, MDX, and Pilot. Perhaps that will be the version GM will get. I think it would cost too much for Honda to engineer VTEC out of the engine just for GM.
That seems about right, 210hp in a small suv.

I'm just wondering, wont they be harming CR-V sales dont ya think? I do. Just a little bit, but still.

Anyone familiar with engine bay of the cr-v? would a J30 fit in there?
Old 08-14-2002, 07:38 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally posted by yianni64

That seems about right, 210hp in a small suv.

I'm just wondering, wont they be harming CR-V sales dont ya think? I do. Just a little bit, but still.

Anyone familiar with engine bay of the cr-v? would a J30 fit in there?
I dont think the engine bay is wide enough for the J30 to fit in the CRV...also I am not sure how bad sales of the CRV will be hurt...I picture the VUE and the CRV to be in two different categories.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:58 AM
V12Power

Originally posted by Honda/NissanFan

I think they can get 260hp out of their 3.5liter engine, if Nissan can get 287hp Acura atleast can get 260hp. And this engine will fit nicely into the new RL.
Honda can easily get 260hp out of the 3.5L but I believe they are upgrading to 3.8L for torque purposes. They might be wanting to have a greater towing capacity then the previous 3500lbs. The MDX now has 240hp 242TQ and now it will have 260hp and tq should bump up to about 270-280. The MDX now could easily pull 5000lbs.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:15 AM

The Vue needs a whole lot more than just an engine to make it even close to the CR-V.