Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Ford Admits Explorer is Defective (finally)?

Old 06-16-2004, 04:30 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Admits Explorer is Defective (finally)?

Originally Posted by detroit free press.com
Ford lawyer's apology causes stir

Explorer litigants say fault admitted
June 16, 2004

BY MARGARET CRONIN FISK and BILL KOENIG
BLOOMBERG

Ford Motor Co. could face more losses in Explorer rollover suits because of statements its defense lawyer made to jurors during a trial in San Diego.

Ford attorney Anthony Sonnett told jurors June 2 that company engineers were "sorry that they let the rest of the company down" and that Ford "knowingly put a defective product on the market" in selling the Explorer, according to the official court transcript. After hearing Sonnett, jurors awarded punitive damages of $246 million, for a total judgment of $368.6 million, the first Ford loss in 14 rollover trials.

Attorneys for other accident victims who died or were injured in the rollovers of the sport-utility vehicle are distributing the transcript and say they will use Sonnett's words against Ford as an admission of fault. Explorer customers have an estimated 1,100 rollover suits pending against Ford, said Tab Turner, a lawyer who represents some of them.
After vehemently settling every case they could and denying it through the past 13 trials, Ford made a big mistake admitting to the San Diego jury that its engineers were "sorry"...no mention of the former Ford engineers who did the whistleblowing as they did not properly test nor fix it for the stability issues...these were rollovers at highway speeds and not tire related (or it was on non firestones and had blowouts)...there are over 1,000 cases to date but this will probably triple that number as it seems Ford is finally telling the truth
Old 06-16-2004, 04:42 AM
9600baud
JDM rox ur world

Admitting that they knew the vehicles were defective is plain stupid :screwy:

I could care less about Ford but those lawyers need their being-lawyer licenses revoked. Go off and run their mouth like that, Ford is in deep sh*t now.

[EDIT]
c'mon this just pisses me off. MORONs who drive SUVs soccer-mom and crap... gee you're driving a car thats 5' off the ground and guess what?? YES! It will rollover if you do sudden maneuverers... wtf? And then you expect it NOT to crush? Its a f-ing roof, thats why race cars have roll cages, because YES when 3000lbs+ of force is applied,... things crush. They deserve no sympathy.
[/EDIT]
Old 06-16-2004, 07:49 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

What kind of people does Ford hire? First the admission that the Camry is a superior midsize sedan than the Taurus, now this? :rofl:
Old 06-16-2004, 09:41 AM
radkermit
98 civic ex coupe

It was bound to get out sooner or later. Just sorry it ended up being later.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:35 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Originally Posted by 9600baud
I could care less about Ford but those lawyers need their being-lawyer licenses revoked. Go off and run their mouth like that, Ford is in deep sh*t now.
A lawyer is licensed to practice law by the state in which they intend to practice by that state's Bar Association. Having their being-lawyer license revoked is called being disbarred.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:44 PM
socalprelude

When i was in Junior High my family had an Explorer, not to mention 3 of my freinds. Before the big rollover scandal started to happen I always commented on how it felt like it was going to rollover. It never felt conected to the ground, felt like a big pocket of air between the tires and road all the time. Then my friend's dad broke his arm when their Explorer tipped. After that all of our families dumped them as fast as we could. I never had any doubt that Ford was at fault, I was shocked when they tried to blame it all on firestone.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Ochdx

what about the new explorer, with IRS? is it still tippy?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:17 PM
stickyshifter

A college classmate of mine drove an explorer, and that's the only car or friend that I knew of that had rolled over, ever. Ford gotta do this sooner or later. The longer the wait, the more bogus they become in the future.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:00 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

ford has vehemently denied its problem always saying it passed federal standards (a mathematical calculation)

the new explorer got bad grades too on the new rollover tests where the older explorer failed (this test actually tests the vehicle for its tendency to tip over)

what is being overlooked is that Ford tried to hide the stability problem by deflating the tires to the lowest setting 26psi (this caused the tire sidewalls to significantly heat up more than if they were at 35psi...the atx wilderness tires just started blowing out left and right as ford and firestone built the cheapest crappiest tire to increase profit...some 300 people died on firestone/ford rollovers [atx where on several other trucks but did not have the tendency b/c they were properly inflated]...1000s injured in some 5000 accidents due to blowouts...ford then started inflating tires to 35psi and now they are rolling over...it's a no win situation

btw...my wife's cousin tipped her explorer easily (went down a very minor incline into a ditch sideways a mile from their home...we drove over to get her and the cop said they do this all the time with the greatest of ease)...last ford they ever bought...they have an mdx now
Old 06-16-2004, 07:08 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

You have to "appreciate" Ford's candor.... like as kazi said, they did admit that the Camry ownz the Taurus.

Quick Reply: Ford Admits Explorer is Defective (finally)?