Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Key FIA proposals win team approval

Old 05-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Daniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key FIA proposals win team approval

Formula 1 Related:

New engine formula possible for 2006 season

The Formula One teams have agreed on many of the changes proposed by the FIA, following Tuesday’s meeting in Monaco, and some could be ratified as early as 2006, according to the body’s president, Max Mosley.
Mosley told reporters that he was delighted with the progress made at the meeting, and that all teams had agreed that costs in the sport need to be cut sooner rather than later.

As a result, many of the proposals originally intended for 2008 could now become reality in time for the 2006 season. Among them is a new engine formula (exact details yet to be finalised) and the use of a single tyre supplier.

Other smaller changes could be introduced earlier (for 2005) if the teams agree, and a revised qualifying system may even possibly see the light of day later this season. More details to follow.

Source: Formula 1

A previous release indicates that the following changes were to be discussed:

Engines would be 2.4 litre V8s with a maximum of four valves per cylinder and would have to be used for two races not one. There would be a list of prescribed components made from specific materials using a specified manufacturing process. Variable geometry inlet and exhaust systems would be banned, together with ultra high pressure direct injection fuel systems, and a standard ECU, something FIA president Max Mosley has always been particularly keen on.

Semi-automatic gearboxes would be banned, so manual operation of both clutch and gearbox would be mandatory. Electronically controlled differentials would also be banned, while brake discs, pads and callipers would be standardised. Power-steering would not be allowed.

Throughout the chassis there would be a general reduction in stiffness via the maximum modulus of elasticity, and the weight limit would rise at least 50 kg to eliminate the need for ballast. A combined tyre and aerodynamic package would be published no later than December 31 2004 to achieve specific targets for cornering speeds, straight-line speeds, grip and braking performance, and the front tyre width would be reduced while the rears would be increased to increase drag.

The proposed sporting regulation changes are equally far-reaching. Teams would no longer be allowed to use spare cars, and the race cars would be held in parc ferme throughout the weekend. There would be only one tyre supplier, eliminating the way that has so dramatically reduced lap times this season. There would be a drastic restriction on private testing, limited by mileage not number of days.

There would be two identical sets of tyres for qualifying the race, together with a new package to make sure all cars run on Friday (possibly with a return to a qualifying session) and a new Saturday qualifying system to be discussed with the commercial rights holder, broadcasters, teams and race promoters.

If qualifying continues to be with race fuel; (which is not yet decided), consideration would be given to whether the amount of fuel in the refuelling rig before a race should be fixed annually.

Tyre changes in a race would be banned (except in damage situations), but refuelling would stay.

Consideration would also be given to whether a maximum of four specified cars (two teams) per constructor should count for points, to encourage major teams to make information available to teams coming into Formula One racing. To facilitate this there would no restriction on loan, exchange or sale of chassis and components between teams or to new entrants in the championship. There would be 12 entries per years, instead of the current 10.

Finally, all future technical and sporting rule changes would require majority voting rather than the unanimity currently necessary.

The package is extremely controversial, and as is Mosley's modus operandi the FIA is asking for a great deal in the expectation that many of the proposals will fall by the wayside as the essential points they want to see agreed get ratified.

There will be a meeting with the teams to discuss the proposals on May 4 in Monaco.

Overall, the intention is to improve racing while eliminating electronic driver aids altogether and drastically reducing costs and encouraging new teams.

As one might expect, the proposals have met with widely varying reactions in the paddock.

This would be a major turning point for Formula 1, one series that I am really starting to enjoy!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:48 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I really don't like these rules and feel like they're designed to increase parity more than is perhaps necessary. Heavier cars, smaller engines, and all that other stuff is just going to bring the pack closer together. Rather than slowing down the fast cars to make things more competitive there should be some way to make the slow cars faster.

The two things I am least pleased about are the standard ECU and getting rid of semiautomatic gearboxes, although I guess they're both qualified objections. As long as the ECU is able to be programmed by the individual teams for their respective engines, that's fine if it's standardized. If it's not programmable that would severely limit the amount of differentiation from team to team and would in effect create a spec engine being built by all of the different companies. Sequential gearboxes have become the norm in many different kinds of racing from F1 to sports cars to WRC and I really like the level of sophistication the exude and the aid to the drivers they provide. Granted it would be nice to see them using all of their talents but I think putting control of the clutch back over to the driver will not help with making the races closer.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:03 PM
More&Faster

ya im definitely against the move away from semi-automatic gearboxes. whats the point? i mean, this is formula one, where the cars exhibit the most bleeding edge racing technology in the world, and they want to go back to manual transmissions? it just seems silly to me.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:02 PM
DakarM

1/2 of the reason why I follow F1 racing is because of the different technologies used by the different teams. The other 1/2 is for the drivers.

I don't think I would like F1 with those restriction.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:04 AM
9600baud
JDM rox ur world

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Rather than slowing down the fast cars to make things more competitive there should be some way to make the slow cars faster.
:werd:
Old 05-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Daniel

Press Conference Transcript can be found here:

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/1524/718.html
Old 05-13-2004, 01:45 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I have ome good news, and some "bad" news.

The good news is that sequential gearboxes will remain.

The "bad" news is that most of the other changes will be implemented for the 2006 season instead of 2008.

A few more details are in this article: http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=04785310

Nixing the sequential gearboxes was one of my two main complaints, so that can now be crossed off the list.

My other main issue is that the new engine formula will significantly limit power output. But now that I think about it, even with smaller displacement I'm sure that within a relatively short period of time the engine builders should be able to get enough revs out of the new, smaller motors to make up a good portion of the difference.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:15 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Well damnit, I have heard conflicting reports.

During this past Sunday's race, they said that during the meeting the only people doing the talking were the FIA and that the teams had no say, didn't agree to anything at that point, and basically left the meeting without a dialogue having taken place.

So these changes are a done deal now?

I can't believe how stupid the FIA is being these day. Watch. Next they'll be banning CF and exotic alloys, citing "excessive expense."

Minardi sucks. Period. The FIA isn't going to help teams like that with these rule changes.

BTW, where is Benetton-McLaren...I liked those colors when I was a young kid... :joshers: :hitit: :wtf: