Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Subaru Baja... "we sold a few..."

Old 04-14-2004, 07:41 AM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Baja... "we sold a few..."

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=02276205

Don't get all excited and rush out there... they'll be around until 2006 they say....
Old 04-14-2004, 09:47 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

At least it was a cheap conversion effort from the Outback wagon. Hopefully their losses aren't too great. :dunno: I wouldn't be caught dead in one. So damned ugly. :a:

OTOH, the forthcoming Legacy B4 is dead sexay... :thinking:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:41 AM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
At least it was a cheap conversion effort from the Outback wagon. Hopefully their losses aren't too great. :dunno: I wouldn't be caught dead in one. So damned ugly. :a:

OTOH, the forthcoming Legacy B4 is dead sexay... :thinking:
I've been turned off by the Altima. Honda's Accord-based sedans (Accord, TSX, and TL) are all pretty nice. I drove the Mazda 6... it's an alternative to the everywhere-present Accord, but not as nice, and really the Accord is much more comfortable to drive, even spiritedly. Legacys are nice, but the new model is much nicer. A Japanese Audi at... well not at an Audi price, nor with Audi problems.

The Baja is just an open-back Outback. Couldn't have cost them too much... probably much less than Honda spent spinning the Element off of the CR-V. Of course, the revenues from Element sales have been much better than Subaru and their Baja.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:54 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Generally speaking, I'd say it's a good idea to think about who might actually buy a new vehicle concept, BEFORE putting it to market.

I mean really, who is going to buy an Outback converted into a mini Chevy Avalanche? Who told Subaru this would be a good idea?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:57 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

werd to MFB!
Old 04-14-2004, 02:01 PM
radkermit
98 civic ex coupe

Will anybody really miss it?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:44 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Generally speaking, I'd say it's a good idea to think about who might actually buy a new vehicle concept, BEFORE putting it to market.

I mean really, who is going to buy an Outback converted into a mini Chevy Avalanche? Who told Subaru this would be a good idea?
:werd: indeed. A consumer clinic or market research firm must of found some people somewhere in this country that was responisve to the idea...:dunno: Is there any place in the continental USA where these sell in respectable numbers?

BTW, as I was running errands, I noticed the local Subaru dealer was loading a semi trailer up with Bajas, as in taking them off the lot. h: :chuckles:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-14-2004, 05:05 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
:werd: indeed. A consumer clinic or market research firm must of found some people somewhere in this country that was responisve to the idea...:dunno: Is there any place in the continental USA where these sell in respectable numbers?
Maine? Vermont?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:21 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

you'd be surprised how many companies do not hold focus groups or even attempt niche marketing...they think "build it and people will buy it"...this has been the standard practice of gm, ford, and dcx for years now...now the imports are stagnating
Old 04-14-2004, 07:51 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by jaje
you'd be surprised how many companies do not hold focus groups or even attempt niche marketing...they think "build it and people will buy it"...this has been the standard practice of gm, ford, and dcx for years now...now the imports are stagnating
Subaru has traditionally built wacky things, even if the more mundane wagons were the cars that sold.

Quick Reply: Subaru Baja... "we sold a few..."