Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Acura RL Prototype Images

Old 04-13-2004, 07:33 PM
B16Drag
Sup Dawg!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.... such harsh words Ochdx... Funny how many people diss a certain car yet cant own it... But each is his own.

I personally like the car... I agree the exterior could be a tad more agressive but then again I dont think they had ONLY the "tuner" or "younger" age group in mind when designing this car. I'm sure it will be attractive among the professionals and suits. But anyways, I dig it.

Originally Posted by Ochdx
i drive is gay, interior looks too bmw, the whole car looks like accord and 5 series had sex, still a v6, probably with no torque. probably heavy b/c of AWD. All in all, its pretty gay.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by B16Drag
Wow.... such harsh words Ochdx... Funny how many people diss a certain car yet cant own it... But each is his own.

I personally like the car... I agree the exterior could be a tad more agressive but then again I dont think they had ONLY the "tuner" or "younger" age group in mind when designing this car. I'm sure it will be attractive among the professionals and suits. But anyways, I dig it.

yah yah yah, its even more looking boring than LS430, and with a castrated engine and i-drive it sure is pretty gay.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:57 PM
maweitao

The Acura RL isnt bad... But it looks very generic, and appears to have lost some of the distinguishing features of the TSX and TL.

You could stick a Lexus or Infiniti badge on that car and it would blend right in. Japanese automakers are sticking true to their old habits of repeating themselves and copying the stylistic features of existing cars.

Not that the car is ugly, its just bland.

And what the hell does Super Handling All Wheel Drive mean? You can trademark anything and say your car is the first to have it. Although, I wonder if they've incorporated a system similar to ATTS from the 5th gen Prelude in that car.

Otherwise its just marketing nonsense, which is likely is, either way.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:04 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by maweitao
And what the hell does Super Handling All Wheel Drive mean? You can trademark anything and say your car is the first to have it. Although, I wonder if they've incorporated a system similar to ATTS from the 5th gen Prelude in that car.

Otherwise its just marketing nonsense, which is likely is, either way.
Actually, it is somewhat like ATTS from the 5th gen Prelude SH.

The Prelude SH was front wheel drive, but it had an electronically controlled differential that could vary the torque split between its right and left front wheels to help with handling.

SH-AWD does somewhat the same thing, but with all four wheels. It has three electronically controlled differentials: one in front, one center, and one rear. The front and rear diffs can split the torque at that axle anywhere from 100/0 to 0/100 right-to-left, and of course any combination in between. The center differential varies the torque anywhere from 30/70 to 70/30 front to rear, with any combination in between. All three torque splits are determined by the SH-AWD computer and are tied in with traction control and yaw control functions.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:04 PM

Default the big knob

About the big knob: it looks like the same setup that the new Navi Accord has. Basically you adjust the knob and it controls menus that appear on the Navi screen. You access A/C controls through this interface. My neighbor just got the new Navi Accord (130 miles on it so far) and he DOES NOT like this click-click-click kind of menu interface. It took him awhile to figure out how to turn down the fan speed.

On the other hand, I have the 2004 Honda Pilot w/ Navi which has buttons and knobs for each function (A/C, radio, CD, casette, etc.) and am VERY happy with this setup. It seems MUCH better than the menu-based approach with the BIG KNOB.

So if you want to see the big knob in a production car, go take a look at the new Accord. Then have the Dealer show you how to change the A/C fan speed (if he can figure it out). Then go look at the new Pilot. Much nicer layout for CD,A/C,radio controls. The menu buttons on the Pilot are up by the Navigation screen -- seems like a more logical place anyway.

So if anyone at Acura is reading this, put in the Pilot's center console control system before you make a mistake. Otherwise, all of the magazines will be harping on the BIG KNOB instead of on features that you'd really like to highlight.

(gee, opinionated ain't I ?)

Scott Nelson
a happy 2004 Honda Pilot owner
and in the market for an Acura RL
Old 04-21-2004, 03:12 PM
integboi220

Originally Posted by 645824
About the big knob: it looks like the same setup that the new Navi Accord has. Basically you adjust the knob and it controls menus that appear on the Navi screen. You access A/C controls through this interface. My neighbor just got the new Navi Accord (130 miles on it so far) and he DOES NOT like this click-click-click kind of menu interface. It took him awhile to figure out how to turn down the fan speed.

On the other hand, I have the 2004 Honda Pilot w/ Navi which has buttons and knobs for each function (A/C, radio, CD, casette, etc.) and am VERY happy with this setup. It seems MUCH better than the menu-based approach with the BIG KNOB.

So if you want to see the big knob in a production car, go take a look at the new Accord. Then have the Dealer show you how to change the A/C fan speed (if he can figure it out). Then go look at the new Pilot. Much nicer layout for CD,A/C,radio controls. The menu buttons on the Pilot are up by the Navigation screen -- seems like a more logical place anyway.

So if anyone at Acura is reading this, put in the Pilot's center console control system before you make a mistake. Otherwise, all of the magazines will be harping on the BIG KNOB instead of on features that you'd really like to highlight.

(gee, opinionated ain't I ?)

Scott Nelson
a happy 2004 Honda Pilot owner
and in the market for an Acura RL
or they coulda just used the touch screen from the TSX and TL
Old 04-21-2004, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by integboi220
I haven't played with the TSX or TL yet. Is it one-touch one-function or
do you have to wade through multiple menus to get to the desired function?

Scott
Old 04-21-2004, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by integboi220
I haven't played with the TSX or TL yet. Is it one-touch one-function or
do you have to wade through several menus to get to a particular function?

I'll pick on the fan speed example that I mentioned previously. In a TSX/TL, how many "touches" do you have to do to change the fan speed?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 04-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Ochdx

the big knobs are gay
Old 04-21-2004, 05:11 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

tsx is pretty easy as the hvac controls are not part of the system...but i don't have navigation so i can't say that for them