Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Honda Develops World’s First Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive this fall in the Acura RL

Old 04-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Daniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Related Article

Acura To Debut Super-Handling AWD System at New York International Auto Show

System is First To Distribute Torque Front to Rear and Between Left and Right Rear Wheels

Torrance, Calif. 04/01/2004
-- The Acura RL Prototype, which will make its world debut at the New York International Auto Show, features a revolutionary new all-wheel-drive system called SH-AWD(TM). The SH-AWD system is the first and only all-wheel-drive platform that distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between the front and rear wheels but also between the left and right rear wheels. The result is precise cornering performance that reduces torque steer and provides outstanding vehicle stability.

By monitoring driver input and driving conditions, the SH-AWD system determines the optimum front-rear and lateral (left-right) torque distribution. This information is then conveyed to the rear differential, where direct electromagnetic clutches continuously vary the torque by up to 70 percent in either direction - front or rear. Rear torque can also be proportioned between the left and right rear tires by up to 100 percent on either side.

The SH-AWD system is composed of an ECU, sensors that detect steering angle, lateral g-force, and other vehicle information, and a rear differential. The direct electromagnetic clutches inside the rear differential, another industry first, employ electromagnets to maintain precise control over the multi-plate clutches.

The SH-AWD system uses torque not only for propulsion, but also to increase cornering precision and dramatically enhance vehicle maneuverability. During cornering, the track of the outside rear wheel normally falls outside the track of the front wheels. Because of this, the outside rear wheel does not rotate fast enough to keep up with the front wheels, preventing efficient transmission of torque. To counteract this condition, the SH-AWD system's rear differential is equipped with a built-in acceleration device that can overdrive the outside rear wheel. This acceleration device, which is another industry first, uses a planetary gear to speed up the outside rear wheel's rotation relative to the front wheels. The result is a significant enhancement in vehicle maneuverability during cornering.

SH-AWD system torque regulation
  • Acceleration while cornering: Torque to the rear wheels is continuously varied to supply up to 100 percent to the outside wheel. This creates an inward yaw moment, significantly improving vehicle handling precision.
  • Deceleration (throttle closed) while cornering: Torque to the outside rear wheel is varied to change from an inward to an outward yaw moment, helping vehicle stability at all times.
  • Straight-line driving: Front-rear torque distribution is modulated for optimum performance. During rapid acceleration, torque is redistributed from the front wheels to the rear wheels. Conversely, during cruising, torque is concentrated in the front wheels. The result is additional driving stability.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Daniel

Related Article

Acura RL Prototype Luxury Performance Sedan To Make World Debut At New York

Torrance, Calif. 04/01/2004
-- The Prototype of the Acura RL luxury performance sedan, featuring a ground-breaking all-wheel-drive system and dynamic new styling, will make its world debut at the New York International Auto Show, the company announced today.

The RL Prototype provides a close preview of the direction in which Acura is taking the all-new 2005 RL luxury performance sedan to be introduced this fall. The RL Prototype features Acura's revolutionary new Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive System(TM) (SH-AWD(TM)) and several other industry-first technologies.

The SH-AWD system is the first and only all-wheel-drive platform that distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between the front and rear wheels but also between the left and right rear wheels. The result is cornering performance that responds faithfully to driver input, a neutral steering feel and enhanced traction on dry or wet surfaces.

To complement the car's sporty handling capabilities, Acura gave the RL Prototype a
more powerful engine, a wide stance and dynamic styling. A pronounced wedge shape with a long, swooping hood and a short trunk lid gives the impression of speed even when the car is standing still.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:05 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a great system but failed to trickle down to other models like the ATTS system.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:35 AM
stickyshifter

Originally Posted by whatever7
SH actually stand for "Super Handling"? Holy shit.

Japanese likes English words but can't use it efficiently, so I am not surprised to see this. LOL

It could have been way worse, "All your Handling Are Belong To Us."

See.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Vampgrrl
Farscape 1 pilot

Windows NT=New Technology

XP=eXPerience.

Most marketing stuff is stupid.

Oh and video of SH-AWD and short clip (video) of RL/Legend in action

DAMNIT: forgot link
http://www.honda.co.jp/HDTV/news/200...01a/index.html
Old 04-01-2004, 10:18 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

There was also the Prelude SH, so the acronym isn't totally new. It had an electronic "limited slip" system on its front wheels that constantly varied the torque split, so this is sort of an evolution of that nomenclature.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:38 AM
qtiger

Originally Posted by kazi
I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a great system but failed to trickle down to other models like the ATTS system.
Well, was kind of poor timing in general. Last gen of the Prelude, last use of the H22, and everything was switched over to the new engines.

I think (hope) we may be seeing this released on the RL in advance of a similar system on the next NSX.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:54 AM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Hmmm, I dunno...There are a few things that bother me, based on the video:

If the RL was built from the ground-up to be AWD, why is there a lack of symmetry in the driveline? Everything should be in a straight line, a la Subaru. I can't believe the engine is mounted transversely. Grrr. And the placement of that transfer case or whatever off-center is kinda sloppy. At least it's better than MB's 4Matic.

I'm sure the system will work well and the RL will be a nice car, but all those fancy diffs, even though they're extremely impressive, don't make me feel any better about the actual layout of the system.

And what the hell is the car in the video? An Inspire? USDM Accord test mule with messed up rear tails? Wonder how soon we'll see this system on other Hondas in the US...Maybe Accord Hybrid?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:29 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ILuvItTheJDM
Hmmm, I dunno...There are a few things that bother me, based on the video:

If the RL was built from the ground-up to be AWD, why is there a lack of symmetry in the driveline? Everything should be in a straight line, a la Subaru. I can't believe the engine is mounted transversely. Grrr. And the placement of that transfer case or whatever off-center is kinda sloppy. At least it's better than MB's 4Matic.

I'm sure the system will work well and the RL will be a nice car, but all those fancy diffs, even though they're extremely impressive, don't make me feel any better about the actual layout of the system.

And what the hell is the car in the video? An Inspire? USDM Accord test mule with messed up rear tails? Wonder how soon we'll see this system on other Hondas in the US...Maybe Accord Hybrid?
That was an Inspire. And I really don't think you should get your panties in too much of a wad about the layout of the system...I'd imagine the boys at Honda in Tokyo know a thing or two about what they're doing.

This is incredible, simply put.

And I hope that isn't a Bangle trunklid I see :chuckles:

Old 04-01-2004, 12:14 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
don't worry, it doesn't look like it. TOV has a bigger pic and that's just a body line

Quick Reply: Honda Develops World’s First Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive this fall in the Acura RL