Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

OPEC Endorses Cutting Output

Old 03-31-2004, 10:31 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPEC Endorses Cutting Output

Honda will be a major gain here as most of its vehicles are class leading in fuel mileage without compromises in safety or performance...maybe this will light a fire under our gov't to actually do something to force auto mfgrs to find oil based fuel substitutes

VIENNA, Austria (Reuters) - OPEC agreed Wednesday to endorse tighter curbs on oil production, ignoring concerns in some countries about crude oil prices near their highest level in 13 years, ministers said.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries decided to implement a deal cutting 1 million barrels a day from April 1, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh said. Libyan Oil Minister Fethi bin Chetwane also said that the cartel formally agreed Wednesday to implement the cuts, which were first proposed in Algiers in February.

Benchmark U.S. crude traded up 25 cents at $36.50 a barrel with the New York Mercantile Exchange's gasoline contract setting an all-time record of $1.177 a gallon. (For more on energy prices, click here).

In Washington, the White House urged OPEC not to take any actions that may harm the U.S. economy but stopped short of criticizing its decision to forge ahead with tighter oil supply curbs.

"It's important for producers not to take actions that hurt our economy. We believe oil prices should be set by market forces in order to make sure that we have adequate supplies available," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters after OPEC's decision.

McClellan said President Bush remained "concerned" about record-high gasoline prices.

He said the administration, which had pressed OPEC to lift export restrictions to help control U.S. pump prices, "remained engaged in close discussion with major producers from around the world to discuss our views regarding market conditions."

OPEC blames speculative investors who hold record positions on futures exchanges in London and New York for driving up oil prices this year.

OPEC members Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates had argued that the cartel should consider deferring the planned cuts to allow prices to cool.

Saudi Arabia and a few other OPEC countries have already ordered marginally lower April volumes.

But Reuters estimates from a survey of OPEC customers are that actual supplies across OPEC are likely to drop by only about a third of the planned cut of 1 million barrels a day.

On top of that, the group is already leaking more than a million barrels daily above existing March quota limits of 24.5 million barrels a day.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:34 AM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Those guys can eat it...Time to get a TDi wagon...
Old 03-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Vampgrrl
Farscape 1 pilot

I almost wish I got that Insight...
Old 03-31-2004, 11:39 AM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Seriously, what are the reasons they are lowering production? I'm sad to say I don't know much about the politics involved in this situation.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:15 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

[censored]rs. All of them. :rant:
Average out here $2.20 for 87 octane in the 415.
$2.20 for [censored]ing horse piss regular [censored]ing UNLEADED crap.

Flea-ridden [censored] sons of [censored]dirty [censored] rotten [censored]ing [censored]s can take their [censored]ing cartel and [censored] it! :rant:

h: Excuse me.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by NorCal DC4; 03-31-2004 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:30 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

my coworker just sold his explorer (lost the rear end in the rain and hit a guardrail trying to dodge a rabbit that ran in front of him [only going 30mph])...he got a civic and now is saving the money spend on repairs and gas for his kids education
Old 03-31-2004, 07:54 PM
RB26DETT
Eagles > NFL

still $1.85 out here for 93 octane :chuckles:
Old 03-31-2004, 09:55 PM
rb6teg

Originally Posted by RB26DETT
still $1.85 out here for 93 octane :chuckles:
Old 04-01-2004, 12:30 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ILuvItTheJDM
Seriously, what are the reasons they are lowering production? I'm sad to say I don't know much about the politics involved in this situation.
They hate us and we need them?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:46 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
They hate us and we need them?
Haha, yeah, I know they're assholes but is that the only reason they seemingly arbitrarly cut production? Just a politcal jab?

Quick Reply: OPEC Endorses Cutting Output