Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Pontiac GTO to go drifting

Old 02-04-2004, 10:57 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac GTO to go drifting

(08:30 Feb. 04, 2004)
GM confirms GTO will race in SCCA Formula Drift Series

By AUTOWEEK

General Motors officials confirmed the Pontiac division will tap former U.S. rally racer-cum-aftermarket parts guru Rhys Millen to take a factory-sponsored Pontiac GTO into the Sports Car Club of America’s Formula Drift Series. The new racing series kicks off April 24-25 in Atlanta.

Drifting is a form of motorsports developed mostly in Japan and new to the United States that calls for drivers to control a car while sliding it sideways at high speeds through a marked course. It is similar to rally racing but is done on a closed, paved course. It is judged on execution and style rather than just time.

So-called tuners compose its largest audience, according to SCCA officials. In addition, an announcement that Pontiac will also take the GTO road racing in Grand-Am next year with the Pratt & Miller team is expected in the near future. Pratt & Miller runs the Corvette ALMS program as well as the Cadillac CTS-V in the SCCA Speed World Challenge.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=04672616

Who's going to be the first on their block with a JDM dr1fta stylez GTO?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Dorikin
530i

Mike, you got it wrong.

This will really help people break out of the mentality that drifting is exclusivley a JDM sport. There are many domestics than can drift well, but are under-used. I hate to sound like a bandwagon jumping tool, but its the best way to put it.

Too many people think this sport or whatever u call it is limited to a 240 or an AE86. This will show that you can drift more than those too cars, and this will filter out all the ricers who turn away in disgust at the sight of a Domestic car invading their JDM sport.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:05 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally Posted by Dorikin
Mike, you got it wrong.

This will really help people break out of the mentality that drifting is exclusivley a JDM sport. There are many domestics than can drift well, but are under-used. I hate to sound like a bandwagon jumping tool, but its the best way to put it.

Too many people think this sport or whatever u call it is limited to a 240 or an AE86. This will show that you can drift more than those too cars, and this will filter out all the ricers who turn away in disgust at the sight of a Domestic car invading their JDM sport.

ha...have to disagree. And I am one in disgust to see a domestic in a drifting competition...hate if you will. It IS a Japanese sport...and the cars that you mention are classics in the world of drifting...

but whats fair is fair...they should be allowed to be entered...whether or not they'll perform well is to be proven///in time
Old 02-04-2004, 04:18 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Dorikin, you got it wrong. I don't really care if the GTO makes more people want to go out and drift in their old rustbucket musclecar. The point is some JDM stunna idiot is going to buy a GTO, call his brakes buraki, stick on some stretched tires and a wacky body kit then call his car a drift car. It's stupid on a 240, it's even more stupid on a GTO.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Dorikin
530i

Originally Posted by honda_pilot
ha...have to disagree. And I am one in disgust to see a domestic in a drifting competition...hate if you will. It IS a Japanese sport...and the cars that you mention are classics in the world of drifting...

but whats fair is fair...they should be allowed to be entered...whether or not they'll perform well is to be proven///in time
So what? Drag racing is an American sport, and look at all the Japanese drag cars from HKS, Greddy, Top Secret etc.

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Dorikin, you got it wrong. I don't really care if the GTO makes more people want to go out and drift in their old rustbucket musclecar. The point is some JDM stunna idiot is going to buy a GTO, call his brakes buraki, stick on some stretched tires and a wacky body kit then call his car a drift car. It's stupid on a 240, it's even more stupid on a GTO.

No Mike, I think you misunderstood what I said. This is the Jackie Robinson for Drifting. Domestic lovers already hate drifting, and the true JDM stunnaz will go and buy Civics, Integras, 240s, AE86s etc.

That style you mentioned is wack on anything but a real D1 car. Although calling brakes burkai is just retarded, even the D1 drivers(or the ones Ive met) understand the word "brakes".
Old 02-04-2004, 05:12 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

No Mike, I think you misunderstood what I said. This is the Jackie Robinson for Drifting. Domestic lovers already hate drifting, and the true JDM stunnaz will go and buy Civics, Integras, 240s, AE86s etc.

That style you mentioned is wack on anything but a real D1 car. Although calling brakes burkai is just retarded, even the D1 drivers(or the ones Ive met) understand the word "brakes".
I don't really care if it is "the Jackie Robinson of drifting" or whatever, because I'm not a drift fan. I'm perfectly aware of the intent to get American car fans into drifting and drifting fans into American cars. Thing is, that has nothing to do with what I was talking about in either my original post or in my further explanation thereof. All I said was a comment about a hypothetical JDM dr1fta stylez GTO. I think I made it pretty obvious that I don't like JDM dr1fta stylez anything on any car, and that's what I was making fun of. You're trying to contradict me with this Jackie Robinson stuff when it really has nothing to do with what I'm saying. Since I wasn't talking about that particular subject to begin with, I can't be wrong about it now can I?
Old 02-04-2004, 07:58 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

So what? Drag racing is an American sport, and look at all the Japanese drag cars from HKS, Greddy, Top Secret etc.
Did I say fair? Cause I thought I had...yeah its fair for the domestics to attempt to compete just like it was and is fair for imports to drag race. Your point is right, and I was thinking the exact thing quoted above when writing my original post. Hence the word fair.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:23 PM
RB26DETT
Eagles > NFL

d1 cars are yummy
Old 02-06-2004, 04:37 AM
AcuraFanatic

Not to make this sound like a weak post but it will be:

Drifting is dumb, so :gives:
Old 02-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Dorikin
530i

Originally Posted by AcuraFanatic
Not to make this sound like a weak post but it will be:

Drifting is dumb, so :gives:

I think dragging is dumb, so its all a matter of opinion.

Quick Reply: Pontiac GTO to go drifting