Notices

Laid it down

Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Laid it down

Well, not me, but it was my bike. Let a friend take it on some country roads, and he was comin' around a tight bend around 50 mph, and there was a van coming the opposite way. The van crossed the center and forced my friend to the right and into a ditch, slowed the bike down and we're guessing it was about 20-25 mph when it actually got laid. Tore up the left side, but all that ended up needing replaced is the left fairing, turn signal spacer, and balance weight (end of handlebar). We were able to bend back the shifter and foot peg. All in all it was not bad, he is a little bruised, and he paid for the replacement parts.

Total was about $250, now we are just waiting on them to arrive. Could have been a lot worse, and jacket/gloves would have saved his shoulder/hands. Had a helmet on.

I'll upload pics when I get my camera back, left it at his place.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:04 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkStarr
Well, not me, but it was my bike. Let a friend take it on some country roads, and he was comin' around a tight bend around 50 mph, and there was a van coming the opposite way. The van crossed the center and forced my friend to the right and into a ditch, slowed the bike down and we're guessing it was about 20-25 mph when it actually got laid.
Did you actually see the crash yourself? Were you following in a chase vehicle?

Originally Posted by DarkStarr
Tore up the left side, but all that ended up needing replaced is the left fairing, turn signal spacer, and balance weight (end of handlebar). We were able to bend back the shifter and foot peg. All in all it was not bad, he is a little bruised, and he paid for the replacement parts.

Total was about $250, now we are just waiting on them to arrive. Could have been a lot worse, and jacket/gloves would have saved his shoulder/hands. Had a helmet on.

I'll upload pics when I get my camera back, left it at his place.
Good to hear your friend is ok.

I'm surprised all replacement parts, particularly the fairing tupperware, only cost $250.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:51 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

I didn't actually see the crash, but I believe him. He's a good kid. He even told me what the van looked like (and I had seen it drive past the house before he came back).

The fairing was the most expensive piece, being $180ish.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
red02rsxokc

People can't drive worth a darn (supply your own "real" word here if you wish) anymore. After taking the beginner motorcycle course, I concluded we all need a couple of days learning how to drive a car, too.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 PM
bnuk

glad he is OK. where was this? was your buddy very experienced?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

This was out in the country, are you familiar with Petrolia? Take 68 out to 422, then hop on 38.

He's 28 and has been riding on and off all his life. Doesn't have a license... I suppose I was irresponsible in letting him take off on it - a mistake I won't soon make again. I know for a fact he would have bought it from me if he did any worse.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Pics!!

Before:

After:

Finally got flush mounted signals

Last edited by DarkStarr; 07-16-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Picture Resize
Old 07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

damn dude, how much damage did it do to your friend? hopefully not too much to your friendship.

are you still trying to sell it?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:48 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Ripped open both palms and knees, and scraped up his upper left chest region and shoulder/elbow. I made him wear a helmet since he was gonna be on public roads, I should have made him wear the gear too, probably would have saved him most of his injuries.

Friendship hasn't been damaged, he knew beforehand he'd have to pay to have it fixed or buy it if it was bad enough. Though if I made him buy it (and he would have), you could probably say goodbye to being friends.

The bike isn't that big of a deal, just glad he was alright. If he did this to my future Night Rod or GSXR, I might have finished him off

Oh yeah, and I'm still looking to sell.. though probably at a reduced rate.

Last edited by DarkStarr; 07-16-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
bnuk

that was fast. a lot faster than an insurance co.