Notices

sometimes i think...

Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sometimes i think...

i might just sell my bike and try to get myself a relatively "fun" car... i dont get much use out of it and every now and then, my lack of riding skills scares the shit out of me... :hs: i dunno, if i had somebody to ride with once in a while my attitude might be different but right now, im losing interest...

anybody else go through this when they were getting started?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Nope. I just found riders to ride with to better my skill and rode more and more. You are just going through a phase...keep the bike. If you sell it you will miss the freedom of riding.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How far is Utica? Want a Rebel? I love your bike...

And to answer your question, no, I never lost interest, except sometimes it does get a little boring and then I find myself being stupid, but thats more or less on the way to work. I love riding!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:49 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

haha utica to pittsburgh is like 8 hours

i like my bike but i never ride, i dont have any friends that ride, and once every 4 or 5 times i ride, i do something to scare the shit out of myself... i dont know if im crazy about riding or not.... or if i just need to hone my skills.... but that is easier said than done since i work so far from home and i dont have anybody to ride with after work, noplace to go after work....

i guess im just frustrated that i have a bike but never ride it and my riding skills are so-so...
Old 09-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Originally Posted by ISP James

...my lack of riding skills scares the shit out of me

...i like my bike but i never ride,

...every 4 or 5 times i ride, i do something to scare the shit out of myself.

... or if i just need to hone my skills....

i guess im just frustrated that i have a bike but never ride it and my riding skills are so-so...
1+1 = 2

If you're scaring yourself, you're doing something wrong. Did you take the MSF course? If you think your skills are deficient, you should pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough. Read it, head to an empty parking lot, and practice, practice, practice. When you think you've practiced enough, practice some more.

How are you scaring yourself? Are you putting yourself in bad positions in traffic? Are you unable to safely navigate turns and curves? What are you doing?

The only person to blame for not riding the bike is you. None of my friends ride, but every chance I get I'm out riding and practicing. When I can, I ride to work.

BUT

If you are scaring yourself because you are not paying 110% attention to the road when you are out riding (SIPDE), then maybe it is time to sell the bike.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Originally Posted by Megatron
If you're scaring yourself, you're doing something wrong. Did you take the MSF course? If you think your skills are deficient, you should pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough. Read it, head to an empty parking lot, and practice, practice, practice. When you think you've practiced enough, practice some more.

How are you scaring yourself? Are you putting yourself in bad positions in traffic? Are you unable to safely navigate turns and curves? What are you doing?

The only person to blame for not riding the bike is you. None of my friends ride, but every chance I get I'm out riding and practicing. When I can, I ride to work.

If you are scaring yourself because you are not paying 110% attention to the road when you are out riding (SIPDE), then maybe it is time to sell the bike.
The MSF course is $275, even if i had that kind of money right now i have way more important places to put it.

as for scaring myself, once in a while i twist to hard from a stop and the bike shoots out a little bit, my brain doesnt react as fast as my hands and next thing you know im grabbing levers without letting off the throttle... that has happened twice.

as for in traffic, i seem to be fairly comfortable once i get going. its leaving from a complete stop, especially if i have to turn from a complete stop.

i dont blame anybody for me not getting use out of my bike, i just blame my circumstances. tonight i didnt get home until 8 pm... by the time i got done taking care of my dogs, it is 8:30 and after dark.
i would ride to work if i didnt work 55 miles from where i live. it would probably be a really careless decision to ride that far with limited skills, esp cuz my comfort level hasnt taken me any faster than 45mph... and with beginner skill level, the last thing i want to worry about is riding home in the rain or after dark or both at once.

im hoping that when my circumstances change, ill have more time to ride and practice and build my comfort level but if that doesnt work out, ill probably end up selling it.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youll get better dude, it took me a month on a dead end street and the msf to get comfortable enough to go on the highway, it just takes time!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

as for scaring myself, once in a while i twist to hard from a stop and the bike shoots out a little bit, my brain doesnt react as fast as my hands and next thing you know im grabbing levers without letting off the throttle... that has happened twice.
Grabbing both levers shows that you do know what to do. The one thing that I have seen my fellow noobs not do when in trouble is squeeze the clutch to disengage the engine and then brake.

The MSF instructors go over it, but they don't hammer it home. I sat and watched a MSF course on the range. It was an exercise where the student rides striaght, then takes a gentle curve to learn how to turn. The kid rolled on the throttle, panicked, rolled some more, and did not pull in the clutch and brake. He barreled into the parking lot curb and dumped.

as for in traffic, i seem to be fairly comfortable once i get going. its leaving from a complete stop, especially if i have to turn from a complete stop.
im hoping that when my circumstances change, ill have more time to ride and practice and build my comfort level but if that doesnt work out, ill probably end up selling it.
I may have sounded harsh in the earlier post, and I apologize. I do think you'll get the hang of it. You just need more time in the saddle.

Heck, I'm a complete idiot, and I got the hang of it.

I had the same problem you did. I had issues controlling the friction zone from a dead stop. I also had issues doing that while turning. I headed out to an industrial park after dark, when it was empty, and practiced. I did that for about three weeks.

Another rider then suggested that I go out riding on normal streets on the weekends, early in the morning before traffic was out. He also suggested that early Sunday mornings was the best time to go out on the road. Less traffic, less stress, etc. I did that, and slowly acclimated myself to normal roads at speed.

When I finally took to the roads in normal traffic, I can't tell you how many times I stalled the bike from a dead stop because I was nervous.

I also purchased a copy of Proficient Motorcycling, by David Hough. The book is a compilation of motorcycling tips and tactics. I read it once, and then read it again. After coming back from rides, I still find myself using it as a reference.

Don't sell the bike. You'll regret it. Your time situation will eventually change, and you'll get more saddle time.

Last edited by Megatron; 09-05-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:55 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Originally Posted by Megatron
I may have sounded harsh in the earlier post, and I apologize. I do think you'll get the hang of it. You just need more time in the saddle.

Heck, I'm a complete idiot, and I got the hang of it.

I had the same problem you did. I had issues controlling the friction zone from a dead stop. I also had issues doing that while turning. I headed out to an industrial park after dark, when it was empty, and practiced. I did that for about three weeks.

Another rider then suggested that I go out riding on normal streets on the weekends, early in the morning before traffic was out. He also suggested that early Sunday mornings was the best time to go out on the road. Less traffic, less stress, etc. I did that, and slowly acclimated myself to normal roads at speed.

When I finally took to the roads in normal traffic, I can't tell you how many times I stalled the bike from a dead stop because I was nervous.

I also purchased a copy of Proficient Motorcycling, by David Hough. The book is a compilation of motorcycling tips and tactics. I read it once, and then read it again. After coming back from rides, I still find myself using it as a reference.

Don't sell the bike. You'll regret it. Your time situation will eventually change, and you'll get more saddle time.
yes, you did sound a little harsh h: but thanks for your vote of confidence. i seem to be okay with actually getting the bike moving, i dont stall really at all but i cant credit myself for that, i think my bike is just really easy to feel out in that sense. but, the problem i think i have with launching, especially especially into a turn is just the low speed balance issue. the 2 two times i have paniced and scared the shit out of myself, i was turning left or at least slight left from a complete stop. but thanks for the tip about trying a parking lot after hours. my neighborhood is pretty low traffic and at first, i was riding around in the evening to brush up my shifting/stopping/going skills. after my first panic - actually ended up laying the bike down (gently) i really didnt want to ride around the neighborhood anymore. i love riding in more open situations, regardless of traffic as long as there isnt frequent stop and go. going off into a straight line hasnt really given me any trouble to speak of, i just need to practice taking off into a turn.

its been a few days since i last rode and i know i need to just sack up and practice, i dont really feel inclined to sell but i guess i feel when i screw something up and scare myself, it gives me the instant thought to sell. between gettin a little scared and not getting a lot of use out of my bike along with having places to put a little extra money, i guess i find myself coming up with a less positive attitude.

ill look for that book next time i have a little extra cash and im going through barnes & noble.... thanks for the tip.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Cyclonus
UP AND ADD THEM

Agree with Megatron.

MSF is a great investment, but if you feel that it's not up in your priority then I guess it may be time to sell.

It's up to you. I love riding. None of my buddies ride. Sure I scare myself from time to time...get freaked by other people, but then you learn how avoid to situations in the first place. Practice and experience goes a long way.