Notices

cb450 bogging / accerator pump.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:47 PM
bnuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb450 bogging / accerator pump.

I recently aquired an 82 CB450SC I've come to realize it has some pretty serious bogging when you try open the throttle. its most noticable in first gear; hitting the gas actually slows the engine for a half second then once it is above 4k it takes off. It'll scream all the way to 9k from there.

There is little info on bikes this old out there and I'm a total newb when it comes to carbs. Does this sound like it could be the accelerator pump or do the carbs just need cleaned/rebuilt?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

How long was it sitting before it's last start up?

Gasoline over time will actually leave deposits as it evaporates and can leave crap all throughout the carb. Bring it to a shop and have them do a full carb cleaning.

Also, check your throttle cables and make sure they are at the right tension. The cable might just be loose and isn't putting in enough fuel at first.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 PM
bnuk

I just noticed on the way home the problem isn't there when the choke is pulled. so i guess that means it isn't getting enough fuel.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Originally Posted by bnuk
I just noticed on the way home the problem isn't there when the choke is pulled. so i guess that means it isn't getting enough fuel.
That's your carb then. Just get it cleaned.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 AM
bnuk

yeah, I just my teg is having problems so that will have to wait a week or so.(and I don't want to stop riding it until while the weather is good)
I've found if I slowly roll the accelerator so it isn't wide until 4000 it doesn't bog.