Notices

90's Honda RS250: Info about this bike?

Old 02-16-2005, 09:03 PM
BB6Driver
mini Ferarri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90's Honda RS250: Info about this bike?

Hello,

I am not new to specialty cars but I am new to motorcycles. There is a particular bike I'd like to know more about.

Honda's RS250 from the last decade. Can anyone tell me a little about this motorcycle? I know it has a racing history but nothing else. Is this a bike you could buy on the used market and ride on the street? Also, what class of bike is this? Superbike?

I'd appreciate any information. Thanks!

-Craig
Old 02-17-2005, 11:17 AM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Hey dude,

Anyway, I don't think there are enough motorcycle members on the board that know about the history of this particular bike. But from what I know, it has a 2 cylinder, 2 stroke motor. And most of the ones you can find these days are used for the track. I don't know if you can still use these on the streets though. I'm pretty sure you can but don't quote me on that.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:24 PM
BB6Driver
mini Ferarri

Hey thanks!

Yeah, it's not really a motorcycle forum.

So this bike is probably only available in used racing spec. I remember reading something else about the engine... that the cylinders were separate and self-contained in some way.

Anyway, it's a very stylish looking motorcycle, streetable or non. I'll keep looking. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Obsidian

Im pretty sure the RS250 was produced for track use in lightweight GP series. Im sure you could put one on the road one way or another, but a high revving 2 stroke race motor like that would have to be either downtuned, or run on high octane and run hard to be reliable enough for street use. I had a friend a couple years ago that put a Yamaha RZ350 track bike on the street, but the bike was built as a track bike. He was constantly having problems running it around town, The engine just wouldnt run hot enough around town to keep itself clean.
One thing I do know...those small bore 2 stroke lightweight race bikes are rockets when they run right. My buds 350 could easily chase down an r6 or a 600f4.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:33 AM
jweltch
Closet Ricer

Look into the NSR250 if you want a streetbike version of the RS. There are a few different versions available and they are street legal. There are importers that can bring in grey-market bikes pretty easily.. If you're on the West Coast, look into a place called GP Star for help on that one.

also Google NSR250
Old 06-26-2005, 02:27 PM
ThrottleJock

Check out the TZR250s too (Yamahas). They're generally regarded as a better bike (Rich Oliver raced them exclusively and dominated the AMA 250 series 'til it wrapped up last year... winning every race he entered his last season). Neither of these bikes are cheap though. 10-15 grand for one that's been taken care of. They're incredible full-race machines capable of insano cornering speed.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:45 PM
jweltch
Closet Ricer

Rich Oliver raced the TZ250. :P I was a mechanic/tuner for a few club racers on a 93 and 95 TZ's. I also helped out a guy who raced a few AMA races... got 9th at Laguna a few years back. <shrug>

The TZR is the street version of the TZ but they both share a LOT of parts. The TZ's motor is much stronger, but if I remember correctly, they can be swapped fairly easily. Just gotta figure out the charging/lighting system.