Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Odyssey EGR Valve

Old 09-04-2003, 10:14 AM
petew2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey EGR Valve

Recently had the Check Engine Light on for a month. Dealer found EGR Valve and port clogged. Further discussions revealed that this problem is common on '98 and later V6 Accords. There was an Accord Service News Letter 99-085 the dealer showed me but couldn't give me.

My 99 Odyssey is out of warranty and wanted to pursue warranty with Honday America since this EGR problem on the V6 was known before the 99 new modle Odyssey line was introduced.

Does anyone know for a fact that the 99 Odyssey shares the basically the same V6 engine as the Accord?

Does anyone know a source where I could get a copy of the above Honda Service Nes Letter?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:21 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Odyssey is a J35, the Accord is a J30A1...meaning they have the same block. My EGR went at 50k, they replaced it for free. Did the newsletter say that there was an extended warranty or that it was a problem area?
Old 09-04-2003, 06:24 PM
petew2

Default To 98coupV6

The Service Manager didn't let me read the whole Service Letter, so I couldn't say whether there was an extended warranty or it was a problem area.

My idea is to write Honda America stating that if they knew about the problem in 1998 on the Accord V6, and the Odyssey shares the same block and EGR system then why didn't they release a letter for the Odyssey? The other thing that bothered me was that the Service Manager told me that the kit they used to upgrade the system was the same used on the Accord.

Do you think I am wasting my time to write Honda?
Old 09-05-2003, 07:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To 98coupV6

Originally posted by petew2
The Service Manager didn't let me read the whole Service Letter, so I couldn't say whether there was an extended warranty or it was a problem area.

My idea is to write Honda America stating that if they knew about the problem in 1998 on the Accord V6, and the Odyssey shares the same block and EGR system then why didn't they release a letter for the Odyssey? The other thing that bothered me was that the Service Manager told me that the kit they used to upgrade the system was the same used on the Accord.

Wasting your time. Don't bother. It broke, it's out of warranty. See if another dealer will fix it and convince Honda to pay you back like my dealer did. If not, sorry :dunno:

BTW, what you saw was a "TSB", or technical service bulletin. Not a recall. Just a letter to service departments informing them of common problems and how to approach it.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:39 PM
petew2

Default Re: Re: To 98coupV6

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
Wasting your time. Don't bother. It broke, it's out of warranty. See if another dealer will fix it and convince Honda to pay you back like my dealer did. If not, sorry :dunno:

BTW, what you saw was a "TSB", or technical service bulletin. Not a recall. Just a letter to service departments informing them of common problems and how to approach it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Chow
Old 09-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Hold'em

Default Re: To 98coupV6

Originally posted by petew2

You've lost me. Why is the '98 Accord any concern to you? Didn't you say you own a '99 Odyssey?

As far as your warranty is concerned, the '99-'00 Odyssey has a 8 yr, 80K mile warranty extension on the EGR system. If you're over 80K miles, it will be a tough sell for another extension.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:22 AM
petew2

Default Re: Re: To 98coupV6

Originally posted by Hold'em
You've lost me. Why is the '98 Accord any concern to you? Didn't you say you own a '99 Odyssey?

As far as your warranty is concerned, the '99-'00 Odyssey has a 8 yr, 80K mile warranty extension on the EGR system. If you're over 80K miles, it will be a tough sell for another extension.
Unfortunately, my Odyssey is over 90K so I agree it is looking like it isn't worth my time to pursue additional coverage.

The Accord V6 engine block and EGR system was the baseline for the '99 and sub Odyssey vans when they had the major styling change. The dealer stated the repair kit for the EGR was the same as the Accord.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:05 AM
rvittori

Emissions controls are under warrenty until 100,000 miles.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:21 PM
mwkirchner

Originally posted by rvittori
Emissions controls are under warrenty until 100,000 miles.
It all depends on the vehicle and year.

The issue here is the Odyssey with the EGR port problem and that one only gets the 8 year OR 80,000 miles ... whichever comes first.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

hey pm me maybe i can see if i can help you...