Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

One Strut or Two

Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM
rjmexv6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Strut or Two

Have a 2004 Honda Odyssey. Car was at dealer for an oil change today. They told me I needed new rear struts. The car is still on extended warranty. Later in the day they called me to tell me that they replaced just one strut and that the other one is ok. Any thoughts? Are they correct. I thought you always replace in pairs. Anyone aware of any TSB's on this?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:36 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Normal wear you'd expect both to go around the same time (or if one went from normal wear you'd replace both since the other might soon be due) but if they're of the opinion that a pothole, etc. is the likely cause, it makes sense to only replace one.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

one at a time is fine. kinda makes me wonder when a shop says something is bad and then all of the sudden its good and they left it be.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
rjmexv6

Default Shock Update

Shock Update!

A technician at the dealer said to replace both rear struts. This technician warned that new tires were also needed but not to purchase the new tires before both rear struts were replaced. I have this in writing on the Honda service checklist. Later in the day I received a call to pick the car up but I was told that the dealer only replaced one shock. The service representative told me that Honda would not pay for the second strut because it did not leak. The representative told me to call National Honda which I did. Amazingly, National Honda had no interest in this at all and just told me to go back to the dealer. The regional service advisor at National Honda also told me that local Honda dealers are fully independent and that there is nothing that National Honda can do. Funny thing is that I was willing to pay for the other shock. Very confusing but the dealer did not even offer me the chance to replace the shock even if I paid for it. I decided to take care of the shock myself. I purchased a Honda shock from the dealer and had it installed at a local non Honda shop. I still do not get it. Are they just trying to create business? If I did not have the Honda policy do you think that there was a chance that they would not have replaced both shocks? I have been a Honda owner for twelve years and never expected this from Honda.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:07 AM
mkp

I have always been a top notch Honda fan. The one thing that I like the most about them apart from the looks is their durability which I must say is really a deal breaker for other cars. I am really surprised to know that you have an Odyssey. How much is your fuel economy? I would really like to know more about it and so I am looking forward for some nice shots, to say the least!

Last edited by mkp; 09-27-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 AM
cruzalekz

I think its just a mis understanding...

Coz obviously theyre thingking you would want the other strut for free...
Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 PM
rjmexv6

Default Shock Update

No misunderstanding but it was all surprising. The Odyssey has been a great car. With 100,000 miles on it the car still runs well. Generally, the Honda dealer had always been fair and usually works hard to make the customer happy. Maybe it is the economy. Who knows? However, I am glad that I had the other strut replaced. When removed it seemed obvious that it should have been replaced by the dealer at the time the other strut was replaced. Most troubling is that one technician in writing said that both struts needed to be replaced. To this day the dealer has not provided a reason for the difference in opinion between the first technician who recommended that both be replaced and the second technician who decided that only one should be replaced. More troubling is that the service rep suggested that I call National Honda. When I did, the customer rep for National Honda completely blew me off telling me that the final word is with the dealer and it is not the role of Honda to delve into such matters. Makes you wonder why they have a national number to call?