Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

MDX test drive dissapointing- am I crazy?

Old 07-21-2007, 12:07 PM
pmd1117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDX test drive dissapointing- am I crazy?

I just test drove a MDX and thought the Toyota Highlander was much more agile/maneuverable and stopped quicker without whiplash as well as having better suspension. The MDX (without sport) really thudded down on a speed bump. Also the controls are much more clunky then the Toyota (no turning dial for the temperature and radio, etc.) Besides the performance of the highlander it's easier to parallel park and the console between the two middle seats is removable making it easier to access the back. I also liked the big side mirrors in the Toyota to cover any blind spots. Do people have problem with blind spots with the MDX? I'm not much of a car person but had such high hopes for this SUV due to the reviews. Should I give it another chance and test drive it again? Anyone else out there also try the Highlander? With the small mirror is the blind spot in the MDX a problem?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 PM
cjamie

Default I think you are alright

I was in for a big disappointment as well, but it was the other way. I was hopping that the German tuning will bring something good to the market. With all the PR and reviews, I thought the driving dynamic would be close to say an A4 wagon (with AWD and also tested on the same track). Maybe that is asking too much, I was really hoping for something a little more resembling my old 5th gen accord. Towards the end, the MDX is still too much of a boat (with tons of power to spare). I honestly thought that it was not that much better than the Odyssey in the curves. Marketing is part of the differentiation, and I think it was overly done and too much compromise for the size and weight. Where credit is due though is that the leather seats are miles ahead of last generation Acuras. For the money it is much more than a good car, but it doesn’t have the right mix of formula for me either (the other way). Towards the end, maybe a Sienna AWD or Odyssey and a used RSX will be my tickets.

PS. You cannot go offroad with a MDX, Acura sales won't let you take it to the back of a near by Land Rover show-room
Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
DanF

Just curious if either of you have test driven the Acura RDX? It isn't as large inside as the MDX or the Toyota, and it's certainly not equal to a mini van for inside space, but to me, it drove like a sports car. My good friend owns a Toyota Highlander, and to me there is no comparison to the RDX when it comes to handling, brakes, acceleration and a general feeling of refinement. To me, the RDX was hands-down the winner. The trade-off is that it's not a 7-passenger vehicle.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:34 PM
ljdriver

Default Disappointed but not by the drive

We test drove an MDX and compared to most of the competition, the drive was much more car-like; however, I did not feel the full 300 horses (I didn't take it to 6500 rpms).
Our biggest disappointment was the 2nd row seat. Many parts are borrowed from the Pilot, but unlike the Pilot, the seat does not adjust forward on rails, and only the passenger side slides forward for entry to 3rd row. This is a major pain with little kids and downright dangerous in parking lots if they jump out on the other side of the car away from Mom.
This will likely keep my from buying a MDX... Sorry Acura.