Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

96 odyssey a/c compressor change question

Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 odyssey a/c compressor change question

Is there anything special I need to do with the new compressor once I install it? Do I have to drain oil from it or anything? can i just swap the compressors and recharge the system and go with it? Any answers would help.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are spolsto drain the old one and measure oil coming out. The new compressor is over filled with oil. So you dump it out to and measure it and put back in what you took out of the old one.

I don't just put it on.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:50 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

OK I read that in a few places and just wanted to be sure. How important is it to evacuate the system? After I correct the oil level can I just hook up the lines and recharge the system like normal with a bottle kit?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Fuse

Evac is vary important it gets all the air out if you fill you get half air and half r134a.

I do evac always your ac will suffer.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Fuse

Hay by the way why are you replacing the compressor? If it tanked(blew the shit up) replace you receiver dryer it usually catches all the debre but not always some times it clogs you thermo valve.

YOU have problems in the future come back to HAN k.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

I got a killer deal on one on ebay. the old one makes noise on and off when it runs. it still works and kicks out cold air good. I figure i should replace it before it blows to avoid having to replace everything else also.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Fuse

It could just be your ac compressor clutch. Do you see a lot of rust dust on the clutch this is a good sine of clutch wear or clutch bearing failure. If you see none its probably your ac compressor front bearing going out. But it is alway better to be on the safe side some times compressor clutches fail do to all the extra load presented by a failing compressor or a compressor about to seize.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:54 AM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

I also think it might be the clutch but since I have to take out the whole compressor anyway i may as well do some PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:26 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

Default Done deal

Done and done. So much for the DIY section on this site. I was hoping for some real tech expertise but it never happened cause I can't post 'help me' quesions on the DIY forum. aww fiddlesticks.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 PM
foot

I know this is old post but oh well.

If your compressor is making noise, that is bad. The compressor is probably starting to come apart.

The bad thing is that debris has likely contaminated the entire A/C system. Before you replace JUST the compressor, swab a line with a q-tip and check for the "black death". If you find the system contaminated, the new compressor will fail...

In this case, unfortunately, cheap can be very expensive...