Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Odyssey Transmission/EGR Problem

Old 03-10-2006, 10:06 AM
hondanh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey Transmission/EGR Problem

Can anyone give me advice. I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey with 150, 000 miles. It has run great. In the past my check engine light has come on and the dealership has said it is a loose gas cap. Now, check engine light came on and they said it is three codes stored. Gas Cap, EGR ports clogging and P0740 Transmission. Dealership said to me, you need a new tranmission for $4000. I can still drive it. In fact, it drives fine. Could the EGR ports clogging cause the transmission code to come up? Is the dealership in Keene, NH just looking for work because they are slow in business?
Thanks. Ken
Old 03-12-2006, 05:40 PM
henrykahn

I have the exact same problem heres a fix I found:

Good Luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
egr problem fix.pdf (257.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Rauf

I own a 2002 oddsey. I got the 30,000 miles service done from a honda dealer a few weeks ago. Almost immediately after the service, the van started 'not responding'. By that, I mean that in the middle of driving on the street, it would feel like even by pressing the gas paddle, the van did not move forward because of the engine power, it moved forward only due to its momentum.

After a few days, the engine line came on. I took the van to the same dealer and was told that it has a bad transmission. They said that they want to replace a valve (sorry, don't have any details on the valve) first to see if that will take care of the problem.

Long story short, after paying $200 for the replacement of the valve and driving less than 200 miles, the engine light came back on with the same problem.

I decided to try another honda dealer nearby, just to get the 2nd opinion. I got the call from their service shop saying that the engine code says that the transmission needs to be replaced. The estimate is $4,000+. A lot more than I am willing to spend on the van.

I am wondering what is the worst that could happen if I don't get the transmission replaced. The van is drive-able, it just fails to resond some times. Would it be likely that the van could freeze in the middle of the freeway?

The had had past its warrenty level of 36000 miles when I got the 30000 miles service done.

Rauf