Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Tow rating, CRV, Element

Old 01-05-2006, 07:17 AM
tkamiya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow rating, CRV, Element

Can someone tell me the tow rating of CRV and Element? According to the brochure, the max weight is 1500LBS but what's the tongue weight?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Jim B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see any replies to your question so I'll jump in. Generally speaking, the maximum tongue weight for a 1500 lb. trailer is about 10% of total loaded trailer weight. (in this case that would be 150 lbs) Keep in mind that the proper tongue weight is somewhat dependant on the design of the trailer, load and trailer axle position. For something like a RV (motorcycle, ATVs, etc.) trailer with generally centered axles a tongue weight of 115 - 140 lbs would be a good ballpark starting point. For a lighter trailer (about 1000 lbs. for example) I would lean towards a tongue weight closer to 90 - 100 lbs. These are general starting points that should be close to the optimum weights for good trailer tracking and vehicle stability. It is also important to remember the 1500 lb. figure is the MAXIMUM trailer weight for these vehicles. Severe drivetrain wear and/or damage to your vehicle is a good possibility if you tow a heavier trailer. Also keep in mind that any items on the trailer should not be able to shift around on the trailer. Hope this helps.