Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Honda Pilot rear hatch doesn't open...help!!!

Old 08-20-2005, 06:25 AM
gores95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Pilot rear hatch doesn't open...help!!!

I just bought an '03 Pilot with 22K miles from a private seller. Car needed brakes and an alignment which I was able to leverage to negotiate the price down. One day after purchasing it I brought the car to my personal mechanic (who is a family friend and trusted) who repaired the brakes/alignment but then mentioned to me he couldn't open the rear hatch. I had the hatch opened numerous times with no issues before he fixed it so I am perplexed why a couple of days later it doesn't work. I can hear the lock unlocking when I hit the fob or unlock the door but it won't open. Using the key doesn't work either.

Any suggestions? I checked the manual thinking it was possibly a safety lock but no such luck. Has anyone had issues with not being able to pop open the rear hatch?

Someone mentioned the rod may have fallen off the handle which means I need to remove the inner rear door to get at it. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 09-19-2005, 08:36 PM
AL ASPIRATED

bring it to the dealership, that sounds like something that will still be under warranty
Old 09-20-2005, 03:47 AM
gores95

Actually I did bring it to my dealer and it turns out that at some point the back window had been broken and replaced. Glass had gotten down into the latch and that caused the issue. Latch was removed, cleaned and the glass vacuumed out and problem solved!

Honda dealership was EXCELLENT and even fixed the issue under warranty so I did not have to pay. Now THAT'S service!

Thanks,

Marc