Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

'01 CRV front bumper replace - DIY?

Old 06-19-2005, 04:19 PM
zorro3120

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 CRV front bumper replace - DIY?

My son had his first fender bender, in our '01 EX CRV...looks like only damage is the cracked front plastic bumper...Does any one know how difficult it is to replace this ? Would I be able to do it myself - moderate skills, can follow instructions, own normal tools...If so, where do i procure such a part? are instructions available?

Thanx,

Bruce

95 Acura Integra GS-R, '03 pilot ex, '01 crv ex
Old 06-27-2005, 10:10 AM
headknocker

You can almost always find bumpers for the 1st gen V's on ebay...or check your local junkyard.

I had my front bumper off several months ago(to install aluminum mesh in the inserts and to paint it black) and it was a snap to remove(if you have a factory service manual). It's actually quite easy even if you don't have a manual.

First, open the hood and remove the four screws(along the front beam in the engine compartment) which hold the grill in place and then the one screw down near the front emblem(you look down on it from above...there's a plastic piece covering it right behind the emblem...just pop it off with a slotted screwdriver (remove the grill). This exposes the pop-up fasteners in the middle of the bumper...take a slotted screwdriver to pop them out.

Second, crawl under the front of the vehicle and remove the screws which hold the bumper in place....and that includes the ends where it screws into the fenderwells. The bumper is now ready to be removed....it pretty-much just slides off..mine practically fell off.

Be aware...it's kind of a PITA to get back on properly. It took me several tries before I finally got it on and I was never able to get it absolutely perfect like the factory...there's still an ever-so-slight bigger gap on one side where the bumper rests under the headlights. Nobody else can probably notice it but it bugged me for about a week..I stopped worrying about it

If your son is helping you then you should have an easier time than I did. My main problem was raising the bumper high enough so it rested squarely in the mounting tabs on the bumper mounting beam. I finally got it but(like I said) it's not absolutely perfect.

I'm sure someone knows of a link which would clarify the procedure.

Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:29 AM
headknocker

It's been almost three weeks and no "thank you" or response of any kind from the thread starter. I'm SO "glad" I took the time to answer his question in detail
Old 07-27-2005, 10:50 PM
95tegRS

im just browsing thru this forum, and i'll thank you. its a nice write up!!.

good job
Old 08-19-2005, 07:07 PM
CRX_Becca
NorCal Honda Fiend

Got a '98 CRV with the same problem... well, kind of...

We were driving along when the front driver's tire blew it's tread... it shredded the fender liner, damaged the windshield washer fluid lines, and partially popped off the front bumper.

Thanks for the detailed DIY instructions... now we don't have to shell out $600 for Honda to do the repair. Still might have to take the car to them for repair on the fluid lines though... :nervous:
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
headknocker

You're very welcome. At least someone appreciated it

The bumper is very easy to remove but it's tricky to install it properly. Having a helper is recommended but not essential.

Good Luck.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 PM
touring 1

Default Thank you.

Tahks for posting. but forgive the dude, he probably got busy, and with so many forums to get help from, even I with my second 3d gen accord dont' bet back to my corvette site regularly enough to check my private e=mails, or so they tell me.
My friend has a CRV wtih dented reat bumper. I wil use yhour tips to help him with it.