Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

2004 Odyssey: Odometer problem?

Old 01-07-2005, 07:19 AM
ibabandits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Odyssey: Odometer problem?

Hi folks. First time forum user here.....

I bought a new 2004 Odyssey in August that now has 6,000 miles on it -- or something close to it. I have a strong suspicion that the odometer is recording miles about 5 percent faster than it should. In other words, if the odometer says I've driven 100 miles, I've actually driven about 105.

In of itself, this isn't that big a deal. However, this has implications on the warranty coverage: If my suspicions are correct, my coverage will end before I've actually driven the number of miles the warranty covers.

I figured this out when driving to my in-laws place over the holidays. The odometer said that a segment of the trip that's 163 miles long (I-69 exit on the Indiana Toll Road to the I-480 exit on the Ohio Turnpike -- the distance is based on mileposts) actually was 171 miles long.

I brought the car to the dealer yesterday, and they said everything checked out fine. I told them I was willing to do a road test if they wanted to see for themselves; not suprisingly, they declined and said the car checked out fine on a 5.3-mile circuit they take around the neighborhood (as if a 5.3 mile trip would reveal a 5 percent error). As for the claim that I was basing my suspicion on interstate highway mileposts, the mechanic basically said you can't trust the mileposts (I've spoken to someone at the Ohio Turnpike who basically said, our mileposts are spot-on correct).

So my questions to you....

** Has anyone else experienced this with an '04 Odyssey?
** What do I need to do to prove this to the dealer?
** Assuming I'm correct: Is this fixable?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

"if the odometer says I've driven 100 miles, I've actually driven about 105."

this would mean your warranty would last longer. Because if the warranty expires at 36k on the odometer... you've actually driven the car 40k +. no?
Old 01-09-2005, 04:02 PM
ibabandits

Sorry about that; I've got myself mixed up. If the odometer reads 100 miles, I've actually only driven about 95-96 miles.

Bottom line is the odometer is reading miles faster than how much the car has actually traveled. ie, I'm getting screwed on my warranty coverage.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Hondas are about 3-4% too fast speedometer and odometer. It's been tested in Car and Driver. I'm sure you won't have a problem getting something fixed at 38k miles as long as you bring this up. An o2 sensor busted on my car at 42k miles and they still replaced it for free.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I think I would be more inclined to believe a denso speedo than a milepost marker, just my two cents...
Old 04-13-2005, 12:28 PM
JayK

I have tested about 25 1999-2004 Odyssey minivans. The problem with the odometer was the same with all the vans I drove. 2.5 - 4 % fast. Result is that the applicable warranties expire sooner.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:34 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so if the others test the same than you just answered your own question. There isn't anything wrong. If there was yours would be the only one that was off.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:13 PM
waterbug

Maybe put bigger tires on it? That way the transmission would turn fewer times per mile, showing a lower speed and odo reading than actual...