Notices

I WANT TO BUY A RL or TL..QUESTIONS...

Old 09-14-2003, 09:26 PM
reklesskp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I WANT TO BUY A RL or TL..QUESTIONS...

I im interested in buying a used rl or tl... and i was wondering why the rl loses so much of its value.... is there anything i should look out for??? was there certain years to avoid...? i've been a toyota owner for years now.. but i want to try hondas... the problem is i dont know anything about them... Im thinking about the rl.. for its size... im not much of performance nut... i like comfortable rides... and im 6ft 2 in.. so i like extra head room... any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:43 AM
timothybeeler
acura tech

as a toyota owner and a acura tech let me assure you that the rl is a good vehicle. there are only a few things i 'd look out for windows regualtor check to see if the windows roll up and down freely with any wired sound. ball joints go over a speed bump and listen for a thud. and brake warp drive about 65-70 and brake feel any pulsesation from the seat or floorboard rears are gone in the steering wheel fronts are gone. also check to see if the 90k service has been done t belt and water pump. Certified acura used cars are real sound way to buy used because they make us make them like new.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:46 AM
MPM77

As a previous RL owner(just turned in my 2000 lease), the car is sound. As Timothy Beeler points out, the rotors did warp after about 15k and the dealer replaced under warranty. I returned the car with 32k and the rotors were begining to show signs of fade again. I never had any problem with the windows. I did notice that the front suspension was making a noise for about the last 4 months that I drove the car. Kind of like a knocking sound. Someone told me it could have been the CV Boot b/c of all the snow we had this past winter or as Tim said, it could have been the ball joints. The only other problem I had was with the power steering. After driving for a period of time (more than 30 minutes) the steering wheel would get very tight when manuevering through parking lots or tight spaces. I can't remeber if the dealer replaced the power steering pump or steering rack, but the problem was solved. Then, about six months later it started acting up again.

If I were in the market for a used RL I would stick with a 2000 or newer if my budget permitted. The 2000 has an updated grill and comes with the xenon lights- a must in my book.

For what its worth, here are my opinions:

Pros:
Good, comfortable ride. Plenty of room up front. Reliable and easy to maintain. Xenon lights

Cons:
Very poor gas mileage (my average was around 15 mpg, which was mostly city driving. Rear legroom was scarce for a car this size (at 5'10 I had to move my seat to have someone sit behind me). Underpowered. Handling was decent with the speed sensitive steering, but if there was a bump in the road, the car was unstable.

Final Verdict:
If performance is not your cup of tea and highway driving dominates your driving, then the RL is the car for you. If you prefer to take turns a little quick or want brisk acceleration on entrance ramps, then look elsewhere. As most magazine reviews say about the RL, "...the RL does alot of things well, but nothing exceptional."
Old 09-17-2003, 05:53 PM
EKY

MPM77 pretty much covered the basics of the RL. Here's the problems I've encountered...

My '97: (2) dash lights went out and the door lock actuator was replaced.

My current '99: Stereo was replaced because it caused the steering wheel audio controls to me inoperational. The drivers side window switches were replaced because the two front lights didn't work. They offered to replace the whole panel so I didn't argue(all under warranty). Brake Shoe was adjusted because it caused a clicking sound over bumps(on both my 97 and 99). Also watch out for the molding below the rear windshield because it is prone to rust even with the black plastic coating over it. Not sure if it's due to the salty sea air here in honolulu.

Overall, the RL is a great car. I've had no major mechanical or electrical problems owning them. My driving is a mix of city/highway miles and I average about 21-22mpg. Even with higher gas mileage than MPM77, it's not the greatest when you consider that Lexus V8's can easily achieve the same.

In '99 they revised the body style which is what the current RL looks like with the larger grille, xenon lights, side airbags, heated seats and TCS standard(instead of in the "premium pkg") etc.. In '00 they added VSA. In '01 I believe it was an emergency trunk release. '02 they painted the lower moldings/mudguards and added Onstar. In '03 they added clear/red taillamps, more choices of interior wood. In '04 they made navigation standard and some minor but beautiful interior upgrades. There was also a boost in power from 210 to 225 I believe in '02.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:51 AM
MPM77

Also watch out for the molding below the rear windshield because it is prone to rust even with the black plastic coating over it. Not sure if it's due to the salty sea air here in honolulu.
EKY, I experienced the same problem with that molding. Actually, they replaced it about two months after I purchased the car because it was badly oxidized and was loose. They replaced under warranty and that molding held up much better, but was still oxidized when I turned my lease in during August.

Tim, I see your from Folsom. Is that Folsom, PA?